Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my grandad wants a laptop for his 93rd b'day

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Has he experience with computer's already? If so he probably knows xp better than vista so maybe you could look into getting a second hand one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Fair play to him, a wireless router would be just as handy for him, would work through out the house. Seen as you only have a few days and probably wouldnt have one from on online store by friday id say go in to somewhere like pc world, id imagine at 93 his eyesight isnt 20/20 so maybe take the size of the keys into consideration aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

no he hasnt much at all. hes been using an old wordprocessor for years typing up his letters etc.... so hes not 'used' to any os

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ambman

Got one of these in power city for my aul dear in power city for 400 euro and she is 72 and never been in front of a pc and she is managing it fine.

http://www.vikingdirect.ie/a/search/business/2.8kg/N=3+2257+304095&Ne=303991/

as far as i know hes got NTL in the house. He'll get hooked up to the net with them as it would be the handiest having just one bill for the tv and the net. What price are they talking for a wireless router so he could use the laptop throughout the house...
    and yes you have to tip your hat to him, i think the fact that hes always keeping his mind busy (hes always using his ds lite) is the key to his longevity

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

A wireless router would set you back €40/€50. Make sure it's a cable router and doesn't have a dsl modem built in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Personally i would go for those big silver dell laptops that everyone has firstly they're cheap but the keyboards and touchpad and everything really is very well laid out and easy to use and go for a 15" or 17" screen.

Dell 1501 or 6400 i think should be able to get one cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yo,
    Go into Waterstones in the Jervis Shopping Centre in Dublin, 2nd floor, and there's a book in there for the elderly people. It's a small book, biggish writing, esp for old people that have never used a computer before. Maybe worth your while including it with the laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Another lemon party fan!!

thanks for the advice so far guys. Regarding the two ive linked at the start of the thread, are they any use for him just to browse the net and write letters etc....
    THanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

thanks for the advice so far guys. Regarding the two ive linked at the start of the thread, are they any use for him just to browse the net and write letters etc....
    THanks

Both are perfectly capable for what you describe.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

RichyX wrote: »
    They still make 20GB hard drives!?
    120 been a typo for ages, they to lazy to change it.

MC

hi guys, i was in pc world and they have an ei systems laptop with 80g memory, 1g ram and a 1.72 ghz processor. its a return that had to be fixed but it comes with a one year warrenty. its going for 250euro... it seems like a good deal for what he'll be using it for and it has wireless ports on it.
    what do yis reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

hi guys, i was in pc world and they have an ei systems laptop with 80g memory, 1g ram and a 1.72 ghz processor. its a return that had to be fixed but it comes with a one year warrenty. its going for 250euro... it seems like a good deal for what he'll be using it for and it has wireless ports on it.
    what do yis reckon?
    sounds like a great deal minus the fact that a brand like Ei Systems are bound to have sh1te support (Not that dell is any better, but atleast you can FIND dell)

For 250 though you cannot go wrong;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

hi guys, i was in pc world
    Avoid.
    its a return that had to be fixed
    Avoid like it's the plague.

=-=

The one from carphonewarehouse: you'd need to upgrade it, as Vista running on 1GB is slow (running only the internet).

I'm not sure if DVD's are watchable on Vista with 1GB.

=-=

Saying that, memory is cheap enough. For example, if you got this, 2GB of RAM would cost you about €45.

2GB's or RAM for the carphonewarehouse laptop would cost about €45 as well.

Prices were gotten here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

If you are going to get a Vista machine (hard to get anything else new these days :-( ) you will need ATLEAST 2Gb ram to not be really frustrated with it. I have 2Gb and it still doesnt run as fast as it should.

I would suggest Ubuntu, but then again Im bias having used it for the last 4 years. I've had a few problems but find me a vista fan who hasnt. User support is very helpful. Even Dell sell some Ubuntu machines. Well worth looking into especially for a "budget" machine (i.e. laptop less than 600€).

im looking at the one in carphone warehouse or another one with similiar spec in currys. They both have vista... can i uninstall vista and just install a copy og xp on the machine from a back up disk that i may have at home?

sorry 'bout the ignorance :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

im looking at the one in carphone warehouse or another one with similiar spec in currys. They both have vista... can i uninstall vista and just install a copy og xp on the machine from a back up disk that i may have at home?

sorry 'bout the ignorance :o

No.
    First of all a lot of the XP backup disks check the BIOS to make sure that its a computer from the same manufacturer- secondly you are breaking the licensing terms from Microsoft- its only supposed to be installed on 1 PC at a time (irrespective of the fact that you a Vista licence on the new laptop).

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i am 68 and the laptop i have is a EVESHAM and it is far better than any other pc i have had just the thing for the internet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Do everything you can to avoid vista. Its the work of the devil... IMHO :)

A lot of people I've spoken to think it's become a half decent operating system.
    XP isn't exactly a flawless work of art.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

RichyX wrote: »
    XP isn't exactly a flawless work of art.

It runs a lot more smoothly on lower spec hardware, and is less likely to suffer from random crashes (though Vista has improved post SP1).

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

What facts are you basing this on?

Hearsay from people who haven't got a clue or have never used Vista?

Ok, first off its not from hearsay. I use vista at work and I use XP at home.
    Vista is a freakin nightmare. First off, every day.. and I mean EVERY DAY, vista spends the first few minutes after boot up, updating. Thats just plain annoying.
    Secondly, all the interfaces for windows programs and the settings etc are changed. Why did they do that? It was perfect the way it was. Why fix it if it aint broke.

And dont get me started on the new forms of DRM. :mad:

But as I said, its just my honest opinion. :p

First off, every day.. and I mean EVERY DAY, vista spends the first few minutes after boot up, updating. Thats just plain annoying.

I'm assuming you can turn off automatic updates in Vista, as you could with XP.
    Secondly, all the interfaces for windows programs and the settings etc are changed. Why did they do that? It was perfect the way it was. Why fix it if it aint broke.

From the few times I've played around with Vista I quite like the new interface. I'd heard awful things from people, many of whom had never used Vista, and was expecting it to be rubbish.
    Now I'm quite happy to have Vista on my new laptop.

I think the OP's grandad just needs to try out both and see what he prefers.

Aye you can turn off the updates but I wouldnt dare. Even now the system is constantly bombarding me with neverending possible system threats. "warning this" and "warning that". Its non stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Strange. I have been running Vista Business for over a year now and am not bombarded in the slightest. I get an update once a week maybe. UI is fine for me. Haven't noticed a huge change.

What sort of warnings and system threats are you receiving? That doesn't sound right.

hi guys, i started a previous thread about getting a ;aptop for my gand dad but when i went to get it yeaterday nieither pc world or currys had the model they were advertising in stock. His b'day was yesterday and i told him that it did arrive in time. I know have the time to get one online, so im asking whats the best deal i can get for a laptop online for under 400euro. Thanks for all the previous advice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Mr Tim Buktoo

Advertisement