Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban Halloween? Too much trouble for what it's worth?

Options
  • 24-09-2008 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

Just after reading about the disgusting incident with the poor swan ... would you be happy to ban halloween?

I personally hate it - fireworks smuggled in from somewhere, keeping people awake and frightening animals, kids putting bangers in letterboxes and terrorising the elderly, bonfires going out of control, and then when the fire engines arrive, stones are thrown at them?! On top of all that, you have injuries, burns, and kids loosing hands and eyes from not being able to handle fireworks correctly.

So, shall we ban halloween?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

Someone's house is going to get egged...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Meep.... I smell burning dog poop bagz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Glowing wrote: »
    would you be happy to ban halloween?

No, Hallowe'en doesn't make kids do stupid things. Thats their fault and possibly their parents. Banning it only means scumbags will get their hands on fireworks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Probably have as much luck banning Halloween as we had banning fireworks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

While we're at it, ban Christmas too!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

You've as much luck banning Halloween as banning "You're ma" or "I for one welcome our new [insert idiotic reference] overlords."

;)

I'd rather ban christmas until December.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Nooooo
    Halloween is the best time of the year.

Ban bloody Christmas..
    It's much worse for kids what with all the consumerism, and lying to kids, and the fat old man with a beard sneaking into childrens rooms if they've been bad or good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Do you honestly think that any scumbag would willingly go along with the ban? "Oh no, we're not allowed to injure animals with our illegal fireworks any more..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

halloween ftw, the only time of the year where i can dress up in a home made costume resembling a box of marlboro reds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

How else am i going to get free sweets?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

Vain wrote: »

Sit on Santa's co- ... lap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Trick or treat! I can imagine what you will get next Halloween...

Here

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Traditional Hallowe'en: good
    Modern Hallowe'en: bad.

Banning it would require a 1984-type state system (pm run_to_the_hills for details! :P )

Lose the fireworks and vandalism and there's still the basis for a fun, annual festival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

No, for it is simply impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

And Ramadan :p

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

My answer was going to be 'paedophiles'
    WindSock wrote: »

Win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

It's not sweets they want any more, the little sh1ts want cash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-JzI8Zxx5A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

WindSock wrote: »
    I'd rather ban christmas until December.

+1

No decorations, music or advertisements until December.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

It's not sweets they want any more, the little sh1ts want cash!

to buy sweets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

An Fhile wrote: »
    Traditional Hallowe'en: good
    Modern Hallowe'en: bad.

Banning it would require a 1984-type state system (pm run_to_the_hills for details! :P )

Lose the fireworks and vandalism and there's still the basis for a fun, annual festival.

What!! Did someone mention the word curfew :eek:

Actually in 1984 when I was growing up it was not too bad, at least we didn't have our public parks covered in CCTV's :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

JIZZLORD wrote: »

I only fell for that once it wont be happening again:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Interesting to read the comments re banning halloween and the bonfires/fireworks etc.

In Cork City bonfires and fireworks are not really associated with halloween. We have a separate night for that namely 23rd June (known locally as "Bona Night" or bonfire night)

Halloween is more associated with dressing up and trick or treating for young kids. However there have been some instances of egg throwing on halloween in recent years. Its interesting how traditions and customs vary in different parts of the country. At least we usually have better weather for bonfires in June than in October

• Registered Users Posts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'm also very disappointed that when the children call to the door they all say "Trick or treat!".

What happened to the good old "Help the Hallowe'en party!"?

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

How about we get the laws enforced on fireworks, and more garda on the street and the co councils to go back to free household junk collections twice a year so there is less crap to be chucked on bonfires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Ban Halloween-too much trouble for what it's worth"

What's it worth??

Millions of Euro to the commercial stores who from last Monday have saturated the stores with Halloween junk, and gives skangers a "licence" to act the bollox for a few weeks,by storing tyres/pallets/mattresses. all kinds of junk for the bonfire.

So chances of a Halloween ban... nil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The more subtle ways the authorities can deal with the antisocial problems of Halloween night would be to charter this Boeing 747 supertanker from Evergreen International. Have it filled up with Silver Iodine and displace it all over the capital on the night. Silver Iodine will artificially cause rain which will put a dampener on all holiday festivities.

http://www.air-and-space.com/LockettBooks%20prints/20060531%20San%20Bernardino%20DSC_7028%20747-273C%20N470EV%20Evergreen%20International%20Supertanker%20left%20front%20in%20flight%20water%20drop%20Lulu%2011x14%20l.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Mairt wrote: »
    And Ramadan :p

Yes please.
    / Chants
    8 more days, 8 more days

As others already said , I quite like Halloween, its a time to have a bit of a laugh (the safe costume and alcohol kind of laugh), the kids enjoy it, bonfires ... I could take or leave to be honest.

But because firework availability and the possibility of anonymity around the date increase so too does the scumbag activity.

Sad really, it could be a great holiday if the anti social behaviour element could be cut out of it.

Advertisement