Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Large engines in hearses...

Options
  • 14-08-2008 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭

I was browsing Carzone, and all of the Ford Granada hearses I came across had the 2.9L V6 engine in them. Now, what is the point of this exactly? It's not exactly like you're going to be throwing the thing around Mondello with a stiff in the back! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Think about it! The best cars to convert to a hearse are auto's, which are then fitted with a "crawling" gear for funeral prosessions.

The cheapest used autos will be big engined ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Big engines are fitted in hearses as big engines generate more torque and large amounts of torque is ideal for a car which has to drive at tickover with people walking behind as it wouldnt be ideal to be on and off the throttle.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The major factor has already been mentioned, the auto version is only available with a larger engine.

I would also imagine that considering a hearse is kept by a funeral home for ions before it's disposed of, the theory would probably be that a larger engine could be more durable long term.

The coach builders that usually do the conversions tend to choose top of the range models too which only come with larger engines. Any Ford hearses I've seen have all been Ghia spec models.

Nobody would want to be delivered to the graveyard in a LX now would they? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

wouldn't be seen dead in a Mondeo LX myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I love the gurgling sound of a V8 ticking over, a funeral home in Ennis had an early 90ies Buick hearse up until quiet recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Maybe its just me....but why where you looking at hearses in the first place:confused::D

Personally, hearses fascinate me, as do minibus conversions! takes all sorts

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Maybe its just me....but why where you looking at hearses in the first place:confused::D
    80 quid road tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

colm_mcm wrote: »
    wouldn't be seen dead in a Mondeo LX myself!

lol, good 1 :D:D

don't think you will much say in the matter though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Cos they are fantastic bespoke coachbuilt cars,if you can get over the morbid side of things!!They have the larger engines for torque and smoothness really,its no effort to crawl in 1st in an auto then,it would be tough on your clutch leg if you had to drive that slow in a manual!!Though i know where theres a cortina hearse based on the P 100 pickup that has a manual box ..mad!
    Hers some pics of various cars..
    hearse1.jpg
    chevy impala..
    Harold%20and%20Maude%20Jaguar%20XKE%20hearse.jpg
    Jag E-type..
    Hearse.jpg
    Jag xj..
    Motorcycle_Hearse.jpg
    Motorbike?
    anita_hearse5.jpg
    Oldsmobile..
    hearse2.jpg
    Rolls royce..
    BirkinHearseWeb.JPG
    Bentley..
    sandra_mitchell_mk1_granada_swb.jpg
    MK1 granada
    barry_thompson_ford_granada_mk2.jpg
    MK2 Granada
    bill_biffen.jpg
    Rover 75
    tom_hill_ds420.jpg
    The good old DS420..

• Advertisement

How about a Die-undai?
    hyundaigenesishearse2sf0.jpg

And some dead ones....
    photo01.jpg
    Austin ambassador
    photo03.jpg
    1948 Austin princess
    photo07.jpg
    Daimler majestic
    photo10.jpg
    Mk1 ford granada
    photo15.jpg
    MK4 Zodiac
    photo21.jpg
    Toyota Crown
    photo24.jpg
    Cadillac fleetwood
    photo22.jpg
    Wolseley 6/110
    photo04.jpg
    Austin princessphoto25.jpg
    Dodge royal

Image from..http://www.tim-catley.co.uk/Hearse/Gallery1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

When the time comes that gets me a ride in a hearse, I doubt the engine size or the car involved would bother me, but I hope that someone will take my preferences into account before they play the Last Post.......

crosstownk wrote: »
    When the time comes that gets me a ride in a hearse, I doubt the engine size or the car involved would bother me, but I hope that someone will take my preferences into account before they play the Last Post.......
    Something like this maybe....?
    citroen_hearse.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If you decommission a hearse can you still get the cheap road tax?

Bond-007 wrote: »
    If you decommission a hearse can you still get the cheap road tax?
    I doubt it...

Do you need an undertakers union card to tax a hearse as a hearse?

Do you need an undertakers union card to tax a hearse as a hearse?
    I suppose its registered as a funeral vehicle,so i presume you would need some ID with you,im not sure though,its a good question!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Well, that answers that.

And as for that Hyundai hearse, I wouldn't be caught dead in it!

(I'll get my coat...)

I saw an ad for a hearse for sale recently, comes with original body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Could be worse, could be this guy:

mot_ljb_hearse.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I know of a Granada one for sale in Athenry - owner changed up to a Mondeo hearse ! Granada now idle, but runs sweet........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

A passenger in a taxi tapped the driver on the shoulder to ask him something.
    The driver screamed, lost control of the cab, nearly hit a bus, drove
    up over the curb, and stopped just inches from a large plate glass window.
    For few moments everything was silent in the cab, then the driver said,

"Please, don't ever do that again. You scared the daylights out of me." The
    passenger, who was also frightened, apologised and said he didn't realise that a tap on the shoulder could frighten him so much, to which the driver replied,

"I'm sorry, it's really not your fault at all. Today is my first day driving a
    cab. I have been driving a hearse for the last 25 years

**********************************************************************************

A Hearse containing a male body was being driven through a town to a cemetery .The hight street ended with a sharp corner ,leading down to a steep hill.Part way up , a dog ran acros the road ,the driver braked and the rear door of the hearse flew open .The coffin slid on to the road ,down the hill ,across the pavement ,through the open door of a chemists shop and stopped at the counter .The lid came off and the body sat up .The chemist said : ' can i help you ? ' The man replied: ' do you have anything to stop me coffin ? ' biggrin.gif

**********************************************************************************

A women was leaving a cafe with her morning coffee when she noticed a most unusual funeral procession approaching the nearby cemetery.

A long black hearse was followed by a second long black hearse about 50 feet behind the first one. Behind the second hearse was a solitary woman walking a pit bull on a leash. Behind her, a short distance back, were about 100 women walking single file.

The women couldn't stand her curiosity. She respectfully approached the women walking the dog and said, “I am so sorry for your loss, and I know now is a bad time for you, but I’ve never seen a funeral like this. Whose funeral is it?

“My husband’s.”
    “What happened to him?”
    The women replied, “My dog attacked and killed him.”
    She inquired further, “Well, who is in the second hearse?”
    The women answered “My mother-in-law. She was trying to help my husband when the dog turned on her.”
    A poignant and thoughtful moment of silence passed between the two woman.
    “Can I borrow this dog?”
    “Get in line.”

I'll get me coat! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

21e5gk7.jpg

mercedes CLS hearse.

Someone mentioned a 90s Buick hearse. What does it look like? Is it an Irish coachbuilt?

This is a 93 buick hearse,maybe it looked like this one..
    1993%20Buick%20Hearse%203.JPG

Another few expensive motors...:Pheadimage_003.jpg
    Rolls royce phanton VI
    XLU1web.JPG
    Rolls royce silver spirit
    h24-047j.jpg
    Rolls royce silver cloud
    hearserr47b.jpg
    1947 rolls royce silver wraith
    And some unusual ones....
    0799746001196240097.jpg
    peugeot DA3
    0650263001204595176.jpg
    Mercedes 250 with four doors..
    unknownhearse01.jpg
    VW type 2
    meisenhearse01.jpg
    hearsevw.JPG
    Splittie bus
    hearsemb2b.JPG
    Mercedes 300 bus
    hearsecit2.JPG
    citroen DS break
    Images%5CHearses%5CH2.jpg
    Mazda pickup
    Reliant%20Hearse%20Trike.JPG
    Trike....
    dinkycarsltd.jpg
    Reliant robin..

LOL at the Reliant Robin hearse. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Possibly the smallest engined hearses in the world ...

http://www.motorcyclefunerals.com/

LOL at the Reliant Robin hearse. :D
    Yep,makes you wonder what funeral director ordered that,funerals are meant to be sombre events,id find it hard to stop laughing if that pulled up outside the church!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Are hearses mentioned specifically as commercial vehicles?
    Most of them do have back windows.
    Mind you, they also carry passengers for reward :pac:

Advertisement