Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Flash Site

Options
  • 23-07-2008 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm just about finished my first flash site, and I'm looking for your opinions on how I can improve on it. Please visit it at http://ryansdesigns.tk

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭vodkadub

snip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Nothing is showing up...

apologies everyone its back up have a look.

I think the main point that will be raised here is: why flash?

The site does nothing that standard html can't do, and yet you lose out on SEO and indexing because it's flash...

• Advertisement

not really looking to get on google pages, it's just going to be a site to show case my work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

why flash? you're not even using flash for the good things flash can do! there is 100% no reason at all to use flash on this site other than to annoy users.

because it just looks better in my opinion

I think the point still stands. If you're just doing web design then not so much, but if you plan to develop you need to display your ability to do things like valid markup, and accessibility.

As for critiquing the actual site, you need to look into forms in flash, the comment form reverts to markup and then when you click the go back link you have to wait for the site to load again. Also the contact form has no validation.

So do you recommend taking the user back automatically? and displaying a notification in flash instead of markup?

• Advertisement

vodkadub wrote: »
    because it just looks better in my opinion

Well your opinion is wrong. There is not 1 thing on that site that can't be done using html, plus you won't have any need for a preloader. Maybe you're more comfortable working in flash, which in my opinoin is the wrong reason to produce that site in flash

So do you recommend taking the user back automatically? and displaying a notification in flash instead of markup?
    No, I recommend not using flash unnecesarily. It's a certain technology, intended to be used in certain circumstances to cater for specific needs. Yours just isn't one of those circumstances.

The only thing you could prefer in your site over a html equivalent is the page transitions without reloading. Other than that, the site could be precisely replicated using basic markup and css. And the page transitions could be easily achieved using AJAX. Then you have a "proper" website, allowing you to display talents that your potential clients will be interested in. Because they will want to be indexed by google.

harsh. bare in mind i still intend to add features so the preloader will be necessary, thanks for your critique.

only necessary if you use flash, which in your site isnt necessary, so a preloader is not...

did you come for 'opinions on how I can improve on it' or to be told it's great? or was to get a link?

If you're a graphic designer, and not really into, or skilled in design for the web, there's plenty of easy to use portfolio site gallery's that would be more benefitial.

I'm not trying to be harsh, I'm trying to be helpful. I don't see which part of my post was harsh :confused:

Critiquing it as a flash site, it's pointless. It doesn't do anything flash orientated, so there's nothing to critique.

burn oooooh, ill take what you said on board

What is flash intended to do then?

What is flash intended to do then?
    Very simply? More than you can do with html.

I'm not going to enter into a debate on the capabilities and intentions of flash. You asked for opinions on how you can improve on your site.

-SEO
    -Accessibilty
    -No preloader

These things can be achieved by not using flash.

Mirror wrote: »
    Very simply? More than you can do with html.

I'm not going to enter into a debate on the capabilities and intentions of flash. You asked for opinions on how you can improve on your site.

-SEO
    -Accessibilty
    -No preloader

These things can be achieved by not using flash.

I beg to differ http://www.hochmanconsultants.com/articles/seo-friendly-flash.shtml

Listen, get a ****ing clue before you start arguing on a forum where you asked for improvements. A flash blog, now that I can't wait to see.

Your site - its nearly finished is it? don't see very much on it.

The design, is ****e to put it bluntly - whether or not you are experienced in web technologies or not, as a graphic designer you should be doing a hell of a lot better.

You know you can pick colours in flash right?

edit: also, your taking SEO advice from a website thats put together using tables.

• Advertisement

Disagree with what? I didn't say they couldn't be achieved by using flash. But you haven't implimented that technology so it's a moot point. And it still doesn't justify your use of flash.

Look, I couldn't care less what you do. But you came here looking for advice, and now you're just arguing with the advisors. Best of luck to you! :rolleyes:

ooooooo someone had a bad day

bound to succeed, afterall your company name rhymes - that's half the battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

ooooooo someone had a bad day

No, he's completely right. You came here looking for advice, and then ignored the unanimous opinion of every professional on the site.
    The flash is completely unnecessary and a very bad choice. The design should have been coded in xHTML and CSS, in which case it would have been quite impressive.
    If you were to do this, the only other thing I might reccomend is that you try and make your design more scalable - on my 1900X1200 monitor it looks a bit lost, and it could scale quite nicely with a little work.
    If you want some help getting your design to work in CSS/xHTML I'm sure myself and several others would be willing to help, however I suspect you're going to ignore this advice.

cianclarke wrote: »
    No, he's completely right. You came here looking for advice, and then ignored the unanimous opinion of every professional on the site.
    The flash is completely unnecessary and a very bad choice. The design should have been coded in xHTML and CSS, in which case it would have been quite impressive.
    If you were to do this, the only other thing I might reccomend is that you try and make your design more scalable - on my 1900X1200 monitor it looks a bit lost, and it could scale quite nicely with a little work.
    If you want some help getting your design to work in CSS/xHTML I'm sure myself and several others would be willing to help, however I suspect you're going to ignore this advice.
    I think it's a bit late to ask for help now in fairness! I certainly won't be taking requests.

I would be interested yes, but I'm not very familiar with xhtml

hey I wonder is this that Webexpert guy again?

heggie wrote: »
    :pac:

heggie wrote: »
    ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

It's definately something worth learning, and wouldn't take too long. If you wanted you could even code the thing in dreamweaver if you prefer working with a GUI - would bypass some of the need to learn xhtml/css.

Advertisement