Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcoholic Drink

Options
  • 20-07-2008 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

How did people settle on their usual alcoholic drink?

I picked mine (Bud) as it was the least distasteful to me, not that i liked it.
    Even after drinking it for 10 years or so now, i wouldn't say i actually like the taste.

How many people are in the same boat? Would you still drink your favourite drink if it didn’t contain alcohol?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I ended up on Fosters cos it's the cheapest pint available when I started going to pubs and I've actually grown to like it. It's dry and tasteless, Bud is a bit sweeter but soggy. I can't stand Carlsberg or Heineken.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Carlsberg is my beer of choice as it's one of the few beers that I like the taste of.

I drink Kopparberg a lot.

Double vodka and lucozades too!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I change constantly. Generally always some sort of vodka + mix or other spirit and a mixer. I dont drink beer really anymore. I might partake in some Kopparberg the odd time but not much anymore, far too acidic after two of them.

Also, bud is worse than piss. You would be better off going into a chemical factory and knocking back whatever is in every test tube about the place.

Double vodka and lucozades too!
    Perfect drink, problem is about 5 or so of them you feel like you are turning orange >_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Started on bud for the same reasons op,then switched to guinness or smithwicks,both are tastier and less gassy-hate feeling bloated from beer.Now though i usually drink whiskey with ginger ale,cause it tastes great.Also red bull cola is good.Whiskey neat is fine but too strong to have more than one or two.So yeah,whiskey cause its great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭beautiation

I really like straight vodka, especially smirnoff, love its bittersweet kiss. Problem is drinking vodka straight makes everyone think you're a raging alco regardless of whether you like it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I never like beers so became a vodka fiend. Struggled for years to find something i liked out of a can to make it handier to drink in a crowded house until i discovered Kopparberg. Love the stuff. Now i start with Kopparbergs and move onto vodka and whiskey later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Sols12

Im not really fussy what i drink, it mostly depends on which group of friends im out drinking with.
    eg When i do rounds with friends who are doing it on the cheap its a bottle of buckfast and then fosters in the pub/club all the way, i've other friends who have finished college so the rounds are normally carlsberg/miller followed by vodkas.
    Word of warning Koppaberg and vodkas mixed lead to extreme mischief and memory loss!!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I drink Kopparberg, because I like the taste - but I may have to change my drink, after I found out there is 34g of sugar in every can of Kopparberg, and that's not good when I'm trying to lose some weight!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

Started on cans of bavaria etc while knacker drinking, not for the taste obviously, when I first started going to pubs started on bulmers as it was sweeter and easier to drink.

Now it really depends on what mood/setting i am in. If im having a quiet pint and a chat with a mate or small group i'll probably have a guinness, if I am drinking more than two or three I will switch to heineken which I find to be the most consistently decent beer on tap, and if I am on the lash I will never drink the same drink twice in a night, so beer/rum/cider/vodka/shots etc are all on the menu.

Reading back over that I feel like a bit of an alcoholic. Ah well :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 D. Murphy

I like to start the night off with a few pints of heinekin, It goes down real easy and has a nice taste to it. A bit gassy tho.

As the night progresses I usualy drink double jager and red bull, Its got an amazing taste and gets you half cut!

Then after 2-3 of them i move onto the shots! Tequilas for all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Used to drink Bud for years...... I could never stomach it, but never bothered trying anything. I had some Heino a few years ago, thought it was infinitely nicer than Bud, and so that's my drink now. I'm sure I'll move onto somethin else in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Sols12

I drink Kopparberg, because I like the taste - but I may have to change my drink, after I found out there is 34g of sugar in every can of Kopparberg, and that's not good when I'm trying to lose some weight!

Nothing worse than the morning after the night before after drinking Kopparberg and having to brush my teeth several times due to all the sugar!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

started knacker drinking with carlsburg and 2 liters of bulmers which really put me off it. Drank Carlsburg mainly up to last year then switched to Heinekin.

Have started drinking Bulmers all the time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I don't really have a drink of choice. When I first started going out it was Bulmers because I wasn't the biggest fan of beer. Now, I drink Heineken, Coors or Miller. Although I have epic heart burn today from all the beer I hadlast night so I might go back to the Bulmers next night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Drink bud because its the least tasting lager there is and i hate the taste of lager. Cant drink Cider because after a drink or two i despise it. Vodka, Whiskey and shots have eradicated too much of my memory and i like my memory. So bud it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭theboytaylor

Gin & tonic

Started because all the cool kids were doing it.

Keep drinking them because I like the after-taste of tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭delspeed78

heinken here also although carlsburg is nicer, the taste varies from pub to pub. heinken is more consistent.
    Cans of ureich when i'm at home. No chemicals so very mild hangover and it's only a euro a can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

delspeed78 wrote: »
    heinken here also although carlsburg is nicer, the taste varies from pub to pub. heinken is more consistent.
    Cans of ureich when i'm at home. No chemicals so very mild hangover and it's only a euro a can.

whatcha mean no chemicals?Are there many beers like this or is ureich the only one?

whatcha mean no chemicals?Are there many beers like this or is ureich the only one?

Most/Some german beers adhere to a Purity Law.
    3 or 4 ingredients, all natural. No headache in the morning and doesn't taste bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

started on the good old bottle of B
    then bulmers, then carlsberg and now guinness
    lastnite i found myself drinking bulmers, im developing a taste
    for it again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

Pear koppparberg mmmmmmmmm :D but only the pear one, the mixed fruits one is lethal!! used to drink alot of alcopops but my stomach can no longer take em :mad:, love vodka too, used to do shots like jager and stuff but wont touch shots anymore ever since my 21st ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 skivvy

Just joined and would drink anything trying to work out how to post messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Yup its yummy :D i could have about 3 or 4, and then id have to start on vodkas because i would be sick if i drank anymore than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Dampsquid wrote: »
    How did people settle on their usual alcoholic drink?

I picked mine (Bud) as it was the least distasteful to me, not that i liked it.
    Even after drinking it for 10 years or so now, i wouldn't say i actually like the taste.

How many people are in the same boat? Would you still drink your favourite drink if it didn’t contain alcohol?

The reason Budweiser and Heinken are the most popular beers in the world is because they taste the least like beer and thats what most people prefer. Kind of sad that you are drinking something that you don't even like the taste of.

I change my drinks all the time but I drink mostly ales.
    No headache in the morning and doesn't taste bad either.
    Thats rubbish. You get a headache from alcohol which is a chemical.
    I've drank enough beers in Germany to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

I also like becks at home and grolsh (sp) is nice too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭trowelled

akamossy wrote: »
    Pear koppparberg mmmmmmmmm :D but only the pear one, the mixed fruits one is lethal!! used to drink alot of alcopops but my stomach can no longer take em :mad:, love vodka too, used to do shots like jager and stuff but wont touch shots anymore ever since my 21st ;)

Too right it's lethal. Haven't touched the stuff since a dodgy incident a few years back (and that's when it was 7 %). Gin and tonic is my drink of choice. Goes down easy and doesn't make me cry (get asked that a lot!!). Vodka's always good!! Can't beat a good cocktail!! When it comes to shots kamikazes are the best!!

trowelled wrote: »
    Too right it's lethal. Haven't touched the stuff since a dodgy incident a few years back (and that's when it was 7 %).

1 sip and it gave me heartburn lol... Never again :pac:

Thats rubbish. You get a headache from alcohol which is a chemical.
    I've drank enough beers in Germany to know.[/QUOTE]

The hangover from the german beers isn't half as bad as the hangover you get from the ****e they serve in pubs in this country.

There is a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Maybe it makes me seem like some sort of crazy glutton, but I've had no problem putting away 8 cans...

Advertisement