Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any garda checkpoints out today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

Sigh....When I read the title of the thread I was hoping that finally there might be some info on check-point locations or personal experiences regarding meeting the guards while unaccompanied. Alas, after skimming through 4-5 pages there was not one post relating to the thread title, just lots of waffle that has been posted in numerous threads already. No wonder a thread like this can't last longer than 20 posts in motors.
    Pity.

/End rant

me too:)

anyways they were checking yesterday on ashbourne to drogheda road i.e via duleek
    I havnt taken my L-plates down and i'm waiting on my second test.I passed two cop cars and a motorbike guard doing a speed check under a bridge today and they didnt stop me or hassle me in any way.I honestly think they guards have enough to be doing without hassling learner drivers provided you dont come to thier attention in some stupid way.Obviously i dont want to tempt fate and i just want to get the test passed so i can stop driving on tenterhooks.

what bridge where they at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

You wouldnt smoke in a pub now and look at all the talk people went on with when the ban came in saying it wouldnt work, well it has and perfectly.
    it hasnt worked perfectly for the regulars who smoked in the pubs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

beolight wrote: »
    me too:)

anyways they were checking yesterday on ashbourne to drogheda road i.e via duleek

what bridge where they at?

the dual carriageway at finglas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Any first provisional driver going around with no plates or without a fully licenced driver deserve anything they get. It was the law initially that first provisionals had to be accompanied so if anything, the gardaí should come down heavier on them than the second provisionals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

anally retentive society says "+1" to rb!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

SheroN wrote: »
    Untill they have waiting times down to a week or two there should be some good will shown. There is still people waiting 10+ weeks.

That's like saying if someone is on the dole and does not get enough benefits to live at a standard they please, they should be allowed to take stock from shops without the Guards charging them, for "good will".

Because in your opinion it seems that the Government aren't doing well enough in their eyes then it gives them an excuse to break the law....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

That's like saying if someone is on the dole and does not get enough benefits to live at a standard they please, they should be allowed to take stock from shops without the Guards charging them, for "good will".

Because in your opinion it seems that the Government aren't doing well enough in their eyes then it gives them an excuse to break the law....

hey dont forget this is ireland... were excused from a lot of the rest of the real worlds laws.... because were irish!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Rb wrote: »
    Any first provisional driver going around with no plates or without a fully licenced driver deserve anything they get. It was the law initially that first provisionals had to be accompanied so if anything, the gardaí should come down heavier on them than the second provisionals.

What does whether the learner driver is accompanied or not have to do with the display of L plates? It has always been the law, without any exceptions, that any learner driver, irrespective of which provisional license they may be driving on, has to display Learner Plates on their vehicle. The Gardai should nail anyone not displaying plates. Whether they are accompanied or not is a totally seperate matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

smccarrick wrote: »
    The Gardai should nail anyone not displaying plates. Whether they are accompanied or not is a totally seperate matter.

I personally don't think the gardai should be having sex with people just because they're not displaying their proper plates. Call me old fashioned, but it's just my opinion :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

People on thier second provisional license shouldnt be driving on motorways as they are still learners.Also they are the ones who caused the change in legislation as they have either not bothered to apply for the test or failed it consistently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

God Almighty, I thought that this thread was about ""any garda checkpoints out today''and as per other threads its swings into a big debacle about L plates and L plate driver bashing.....any chance of sticking to the point people please??Thanks.
    Garda checkpoint at Dual Carriageway in Finglas today.

From a fully licensed driver(not that it has anything to do with the title of the thread)that was once a learner driver as per everyone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I got stopped 2 days ago - I had just passed my test that morning so I had my cert with me. Happy days.

dlofnep wrote: »
    I got stopped 2 days ago - I had just passed my test that morning so I had my cert with me. Happy days.
    feels good when youve passed your test rather with L plates shown get the guards attention but your in the clear.
    well done passing ye test.

Thanks. Yeah, I asked the guy at the test centre if I should keep the plates up until my license came in the post. He said the gardai hadn't clarified it with the test cente yet and to just keep them up just incase. The gardai might pull me over more often until I get it, but I feel alot more comfortable now with the cert, instead of worrying about getting stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Thanks. Yeah, I asked the guy at the test centre if I should keep the plates up until my license came in the post. He said the gardai hadn't clarified it with the test cente yet and to just keep them up just incase. The gardai might pull me over more often until I get it, but I feel alot more comfortable now with the cert, instead of worrying about getting stopped.

Even though you passed the test, I thought you still had to have a qualified driver with you.

DonJose wrote: »
    Even though you passed the test, I thought you still had to have a qualified driver with you.

I asked the Garda about it and she said - just to have the cert with me and I'll be ok. But if you can get some clarity on that, it would be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I asked the Garda about it and she said - just to have the cert with me and I'll be ok. But if you can get some clarity on that, it would be cool.

But what will the next Garda say, this is from the RSA site

Q: Must I be accompanied when I hold a certificate of competency but do not hold a full driving licence.
    A: Yes, you are required to be accompanied.

Alright cheers. I have a feeling that the Gardai aren't too sure about it and I doubt they would say anything. But thanks either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

What does whether the learner driver is accompanied or not have to do with the display of L plates? It has always been the law, without any exceptions, that any learner driver, irrespective of which provisional license they may be driving on, has to display Learner Plates on their vehicle. The Gardai should nail anyone not displaying plates. Whether they are accompanied or not is a totally seperate matter.

Oh yeah I agree and am aware of that. Obviously anyone driving with LPlates (myself included though I've stopped driving unless it's absolutely necessary since the new law has came in) gets what they deserve. However, my point was that though some leniency may be shown to those who've got their test letter with them or whatever, I think if someone on a first provisional is driving unaccompanied AND has no L plates up, they should be slapped with the €2k fine regardless of whether their test is a few hours away or a month away.
    Alright cheers. I have a feeling that the Gardai aren't too sure about it and I doubt they would say anything. But thanks either way.

Doubt they'll do anything about it. Maybe some guard who's having a really, really bad day, but I doubt the majority would do anything given that you've officially passed the test and are merely waiting for the licence to be delivered.

Doubt they'll do anything about it. Maybe some guard who's having a really, really bad day, but I doubt the majority would do anything given that you've officially passed the test and are merely waiting for the licence to be delivered.

Aye yeah, the garda was actually cool about it. She said congrats when I showed her the cert and told me to drive on. I really don't think they would mind at all - But you're right, if they were in a bad mood and really wanted to do something, I'm sure they could.. Although chances of that happening are slim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

no, none at all, i think the gardai took the day off

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

They need to add driving lessons to secondary schools, and get rid of religion, or at least let you choose which one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Oh yeah I agree and am aware of that. Obviously anyone driving with LPlates (myself included though I've stopped driving unless it's absolutely necessary since the new law has came in) gets what they deserve. However, my point was that though some leniency may be shown to those who've got their test letter with them or whatever, I think if someone on a first provisional is driving unaccompanied AND has no L plates up, they should be slapped with the €2k fine regardless of whether their test is a few hours away or a month away.
    +100

It's one thing taking a chance driving as a learner, it's a different thing doing so with intent to deceive.

L plates are there to tell other motorists that a learner is driving and they might not be experienced enough to deal with every situation so naturally they are given some leeway.

IMO, it's a bit like the difference between 'murder' and 'manslaughter'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭techdiver

DonJose wrote: »
    But what will the next Garda say, this is from the RSA site

Q: Must I be accompanied when I hold a certificate of competency but do not hold a full driving licence.
    A: Yes, you are required to be accompanied.

Fabulous law!

Makes me laugh. You've passed your test but until they give you a different coloured license you cannot drive unaccompanied.

Joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

techdiver wrote: »
    Fabulous law!

Makes me laugh. You've passed your test but until they give you a different coloured license you cannot drive unaccompanied.

Joke!

+1

Its pretty ridiculous seen as how its a 'Certificate of Competence' for driving.

Steve_o wrote: »
    +1

Its pretty ridiculous seen as how its a 'Certificate of Competence' for driving.

I don't see how its a joke.

You are required to hold a valid driving licence, or a learners permit to drive on the road. Until such time as you exchange your Certificate of Competence for a Full Drivers Licence you continue to drive under the terms and conditions governing the Learner's Permit- which require you to have a fully licensed driver accompany you on the road.

If your full drivers license lapses at some point in the future- despite the fact that you may have had a full license for a number of years, you are not licensed to drive on the road, and can be taken to court over it, if you do so.

If your Certificate of Competence lapses before you exchange it- you have to do the test again. If your learners permit lapses you can be required to submit a fresh eyesight test and/or doctor's cert along with resitting the theory test.

Its not a joke. If you want to drive unaccompanied on the road- get a full EU drivers license, period. A Certificate of Competence is not a License. A Learner's Permit is not a license. A salmon pink EU License for particular road categories is a license. Its not rocket science.

It takes all of a couple of days to get the license in the post. Any sane Garda isn't going to throw the book at you if its in the post- if you have actually sent it away (or queued at the Motor Tax Office) that is. If its sitting in the glove compartment gathering dust- thats a different story.

Its not a joke- its the law, plain and simple.

I don't see how its a joke.

You are required to hold a valid driving licence, or a learners permit to drive on the road. Until such time as you exchange your Certificate of Competence for a Full Drivers Licence you continue to drive under the terms and conditions governing the Learner's Permit- which require you to have a fully licensed driver accompany you on the road.

If your full drivers license lapses at some point in the future- despite the fact that you may have had a full license for a number of years, you are not licensed to drive on the road, and can be taken to court over it, if you do so.

If your Certificate of Competence lapses before you exchange it- you have to do the test again. If your learners permit lapses you can be required to submit a fresh eyesight test and/or doctor's cert along with resitting the theory test.

Its not a joke. If you want to drive unaccompanied on the road- get a full EU drivers license, period. A Certificate of Competence is not a License. A Learner's Permit is not a license. A salmon pink EU License for particular road categories is a license. Its not rocket science.

It takes all of a couple of days to get the license in the post. Any sane Garda isn't going to throw the book at you if its in the post- if you have actually sent it away (or queued at the Motor Tax Office) that is. If its sitting in the glove compartment gathering dust- thats a different story.

Its not a joke- its the law, plain and simple.

Who said it was a joke? I'm merely saying the law is a bit ridiculous, if your certified as competent to drive by the RSA then you shouldn't be treated the same as a learner driver who hasn't yet been deemed a competent driver.

ps. I have my full licence if your wondering.

Sorry- it was techdiver who called it a joke......

Sorry- it was techdiver who called it a joke......

Ah right... fair enough so.

• Advertisement

Went to cork today and used the motorway.
    I saw a few learner driver on the motorway and thought bloody ejits as they have to go through the toll checkpoint and surely they be caught there.
    Came acrooss to pay the toll and a learner driver was behind me and said to meself no luck for this guy now.
    once away from the barrier and looked at my mirror.
    They left him through?
    1 mile on as there is no turn off there was a motorcycle guardi ahead.
    This fellas still behind me and surely the guardi have to stop him now.
    Nope the fella passed me out with his L plates clear to see and never got stopped.
    i thought wtf????:(

Advertisement