Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any Passat drivers out there?

Options
  • 27-05-2008 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

I will bbe getting a Passat in 8 weeks or so as a company car and wondered if anyone is in the same boat or has one, its a TDI Highline.....:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

There's a few Passat drivers on here alright. What do you want to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Finknottle

There are a lot of different opinions on this car and I was checking to see what im in for. Its a 170TDI Highline and I think it looks good and comes with a good level of kit but the proof is in the day to day driving, do you have one?

No, but I'm well familiar with them. The 170 is the best diesel option in them. Highline should give you enough kit with it. The current B6 Passat is leagues ahead of the previous B5 and B5.5 model in terms of driving dynamics, largely thanks to the multilink rear suspension. Some criticise the dash for not being as well finished as the previous versions, and I've heard of people with rattley dash's in them, but they were more with the earlier ones. Also, the handbrake has been updated since the model was launched, and it's better, but still not completely trouble free. Steering is reasonably direct, but completely lacking in feel, as is typical of most in the VAG. Class leading sound insulation helps add to the quality feel, and is needed to drown out the above average noise from the diesels.
    Very comfortable on long trips, possibly the biggest boot in its class, and also on par if not ahead in terms of rear seat space.
    They're a car that splits boards opinions, people either think they're the best car ever invented, or the worst car to ever be constructed. In truth, it's neither. But that's not to say it's bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I have a 01 130bhp comfortline. I bought it private about a month ago or so and I've a few bits to do with it but... as for everyday driving.. I love it. Very Comfortable, lots of poke under the bonnet and its easy on juice. 600+ miles to the tank. Only problem is the tax on her and the price of diesel.

Thanks for that, pretty much what i've heard and read, like everything it down to taste and luck (that nothing goes wrong, a little squeak can make for a big headache).
    I got an ipod connection but it doesn't shuffle play or choose particular songs, it allows you to play up to 5 playlists using the station select buttons and you can also play all songs alphabetically using the 6th button. Unusual setup, hadn't heard of it before, I suppose playlists are better as they can suit your driving mood.
    Also does anyone have experience of the sport suspension?

• Advertisement

What have you to do to it to bring it up to scratch ShayK1?

Finknottle wrote: »
    Thanks for that, pretty much what i've heard and read, like everything it down to taste and luck (that nothing goes wrong, a little squeak can make for a big headache).
    I got an ipod connection but it doesn't shuffle play or choose particular songs, it allows you to play up to 5 playlists using the station select buttons and you can also play all songs alphabetically using the 6th button. Unusual setup, hadn't heard of it before, I suppose playlists are better as they can suit your driving mood.
    Also does anyone have experience of the sport suspension?

Be sure to run it in and keep checking the oil very regularly during the run in period. If you ignore the oil level, and drive like a luney during the run in period, it'll drink oil for the rest of it's shortened life!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

What have you to do to it to bring it up to scratch ShayK1?

eeemmm
    1st. a clip broke on the lower intercooler 'S' pipe. I changed the lower and upper pipes and clips.
    2nd. The cable for the passenger side window regulator snapped. Replaced the regulator
    3rd. Exhaust Flexi pipe is damage. I've ordered the replacement and hope to fit it this weekend

Hopefully that'll be it.

There were problems with both rear windows but I've sorted that without it costing me any money.
    the driver side: The window had come out of its saddle/seat/bracket (whatever its called)
    passenger side: The electrics weren't actually connected.

Not too bad, quite fiddly bits but nothing that affect your driving enjoyment. Always wanted to build a caterham or westfield but don't have the cash or the space for such a luxury.

Does anyone drive the same model passat as I will be getting, 2.0 TDI 170 Highline with Sport pack and what's your opinion. I have seen a few nice examples about and first hand info would be good. What's the ride, handling, motorway cruising like? I do about 500km per week, how will it do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Had an 06 1.9TDI Highline. I liked it very much, very comfortable, plenty of kit, very economical, plenty of space.

The sport suspension is standard on the Highline and I found it very sure footed, even on back roads it could be driven quickly with ease.

Only a few minor niggles with it over the two years I had it.

If your are doing anything which involves the electrics (car kit install etc, for eg), disconnect the battery before hand or you will end up with an airbag warning light on.

Handbrake switch had to be replaced, many people have complained about the electronic hand brake but, I found when you got used to it, it was great.

Mine had to have a wheel bearing replaced at 15,000 miles / 24,000 km, appearantly it was a problem on quite a few of them.

Only reason I changed it was, the family got bigger and I need three child seats, which will fit into the Passat, but it's a real pain to put them in. I traded it for a new Touran, which has ticked all the right boxes so far.

Good luck with your one and enjoy it, they are a cracking car.

Met a bloke on holiday's last year, who had changed a current E class Merc for a TDI 170 Highline, and he was very impressed, reckoned it was a better car than the Merc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭blackbox

I got a comfortline (petrol) rather than a sportline because I was concerned that the lower suspension wouldn't be comfortable (I have another car for firm suspension).

I actually find the comfortline suspension very firm, so am definitely glad I didn't go sportline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Had a 2.0tdi 140bhp sportline as a company car last year.The handbrake worked sporadically, a wheel bearing failed and it rattled like a bag of bolts. It's nowhere near as good as a mondeo.
    Read autocar from a month ago where they tested 9 diesel family cars.
    The passat came 8th only beating the saab 9-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

groupb wrote: »
    Had a 2.0tdi 140bhp sportline as a company car last year.The handbrake worked sporadically, a wheel bearing failed and it rattled like a bag of bolts. It's nowhere near as good as a mondeo.
    Read autocar from a month ago where they tested 9 diesel family cars.
    The passat came 8th only beating the saab 9-3.

I know a few people that have Passat and that have had the same type of problems, i also know a few who haven't have a day of trouble. I can say the same for the Mondeo, i know a fella that bought a new one, and not long after he wanted to give it back it was so bad on him. It's the luck of the draw.

OP .As for the 2.0 tdi, it's definitly one of the best engines in the passat, u seem to have gotten urself a nice spec there. We've had three passats in the family in the last few years and found them all perfect. The only thing to get used to the the electric button hand brake. Also (i don't know whether u've bought manual or auto) but the father finds the gears in the six speed box very close together. Cousin is a rep and has a 06 1.9tdi with 100k on it and has only had a few minor problem, i think he has went through 14 tyres. The handbrake was the only thing he had problems with.

Out of interest what colour interior/exterior did u go for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

do all new passats have the push button handbrake?

Aye, except for that bloody add on the tv for the car insurance. Girl learnin to drive in a B6 passat, and uses the "handbrake" on the hill. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6 zipup

WHITE_P wrote: »
    Had an 06 1.9TDI Highline. I liked it very much, very comfortable, plenty of kit, very economical, plenty of space.

The sport suspension is standard on the Highline and I found it very sure footed, even on back roads it could be driven quickly with ease.

Only a few minor niggles with it over the two years I had it.

If your are doing anything which involves the electrics (car kit install etc, for eg), disconnect the battery before hand or you will end up with an airbag warning light on.

Handbrake switch had to be replaced, many people have complained about the electronic hand brake but, I found when you got used to it, it was great.

Mine had to have a wheel bearing replaced at 15,000 miles / 24,000 km, appearantly it was a problem on quite a few of them.

Only reason I changed it was, the family got bigger and I need three child seats, which will fit into the Passat, but it's a real pain to put them in. I traded it for a new Touran, which has ticked all the right boxes so far.

Good luck with your one and enjoy it, they are a cracking car.

Met a bloke on holiday's last year, who had changed a current E class Merc for a TDI 170 Highline, and he was very impressed, reckoned it was a better car than the Merc.
    Interesting to hear your comments on B6 Passat.
    I have 1.9 TDI since new with 75k Kilometres.
    Good car, but a lot of road noise especially in the rear.
    Had the phone kit modified recently to suit new phone and next day the airbag light comes on and stays on.
    What is the fix for this?

Appreciate any help.

zipup wrote: »
    Interesting to hear your comments on B6 Passat.
    I have 1.9 TDI since new with 75k Kilometres.
    Had the phone kit modified recently to suit new phone and next day the airbag light comes on and stays on.
    What is the fix for this?

Appreciate any help.

U'll have to get one of those VAG's to clear it. Although i'd get it checked out first incase it could be a faulty airbag. Could just be a coincidence that it came on at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

I'm also interested in the Sportline 2.0TDI model.Regarding sports suspension is it too hard for Irish roads?

zipup wrote: »

This I'm really amazed at. The Passat through the years can be criticised on many things, but it was always the best in it's class for sound insulation. I've not been in any other car in that segment that's quieter (apart from engines).
    Maybe your tyres are particularly loud.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

I will bbe getting a Passat in 8 weeks or so as a company car and wondered if anyone is in the same boat or has one, its a TDI Highline.....:confused:

hmmm thats like saying " was the pope a nazi " ??

every second car is a tdi passat/octivia.

also biro , if your looking for a quiet car buy a mkII primera... belive you me that car if quiet.... namely the inivation II with the sri engine bolted in its still ultra quiet.... you honestly can tell if the engines on or off without looking at the clocks...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

dont understand what the thread is about?

you are getting one as a co car, seems well specced etc.

But i assume its a done deal now and its coming, so whether its good or bad or indifferent not a whole lot that can be done

i also assume fuel and servicing etc will be paid for by the co? :confused:

I know a few people that have Passat and that have had the same type of problems, i also know a few who haven't have a day of trouble. I can say the same for the Mondeo, i know a fella that bought a new one, and not long after he wanted to give it back it was so bad on him. It's the luck of the draw.

OP .As for the 2.0 tdi, it's definitly one of the best engines in the passat, u seem to have gotten urself a nice spec there. We've had three passats in the family in the last few years and found them all perfect. The only thing to get used to the the electric button hand brake. Also (i don't know whether u've bought manual or auto) but the father finds the gears in the six speed box very close together. Cousin is a rep and has a 06 1.9tdi with 100k on it and has only had a few minor problem, i think he has went through 14 tyres. The handbrake was the only thing he had problems with.

Out of interest what colour interior/exterior did u go for?
    Limerick Man, I went for mocha anthracite exterior and beige interior. I heard the auto hold option on the electirc handbrake was causing the problems so I didn't specify that option. I hope that I get one that comes probelm free. How come your cousin went through so many tyres?

Cyrus wrote: »
    dont understand what the thread is about?

you are getting one as a co car, seems well specced etc.

But i assume its a done deal now and its coming, so whether its good or bad or indifferent not a whole lot that can be done

i also assume fuel and servicing etc will be paid for by the co? :confused:
    Yeah, all servicing, tyres etc is covered under the maintenance contract. I have an Audi A3 sportback at the moment and the maintenance contract is a must, I had 3 punctures within a month, all nails in the tyre, they were all replaced which was over €300.
    I wanted to see what im on for, I had a good look around at different cars, including the new A4 and I will soon have 2 kids so space was a big thing. Also you can't overlook the value for money, other cars charge for each extra but the Highline was a good package including full leather.

S.I.R wrote: »
    also biro , if your looking for a quiet car buy a mkII primera... belive you me that car if quiet.... namely the inivation II with the sri engine bolted in its still ultra quiet.... you honestly can tell if the engines on or off without looking at the clocks...

Was in the last two model Primera's, engine noise aside, neither were anything special for road noise. Among the better in the class, but I wouldn't say class leading.

S.I.R wrote: »
    hmmm thats like saying " was the pope a nazi " ??

every second car is a tdi passat/octivia.

People buy good cars and the VW family make good cars. Nissan haven't made a really good car in a while, looking forward to the new GT-R and the Infinity(Lexus equivalent) brand coming here though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Biro wrote: »
    Was in the last two model Primera's, engine noise aside, neither were anything special for road noise. Among the better in the class, but I wouldn't say class leading.

never said that but compared to lancers, mondeos , corrollas there a million times better and much cheaper ( at the time or even now ) then say an passat tdi or anything half-way decent

People buy good cars and the VW family make good cars. Nissan haven't made a really good car in a while, looking forward to the new GT-R and the Infinity(Lexus equivalent) brand coming here though.

The nissan note is a nippy little shopping mini, the amlera is a Great car.

though the primera is getting crap. Thank Renault.

if i was starting a family personally id have a primera over a passat , not only because you have to shoot burn and drown a nissan before it dies but there affordable... why pay 30k+ for a volkswagen when you get all the motoring needs covered for 1k....

volkswagen = false econemy.

* hides due to all the VAG nerds *

• Registered Users Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Yeah, all servicing, tyres etc is covered under the maintenance contract. I have an Audi A3 sportback at the moment and the maintenance contract is a must, I had 3 punctures within a month, all nails in the tyre, they were all replaced which was over €300.
    I wanted to see what im on for, I had a good look around at different cars, including the new A4 and I will soon have 2 kids so space was a big thing. Also you can't overlook the value for money, other cars charge for each extra but the Highline was a good package including full leather.

ok, i still dont get the thread tho :p car is coming, you'll know what you are in for soon enough :o

Moanin wrote: »
    I'm also interested in the Sportline 2.0TDI model.Regarding sports suspension is it too hard for Irish roads?
    I have an Audi A3 Sportsback at the moment with sport suspension and although it can be harsh over poor roads you don't notice so much when you're driving and it adds to your confidence when driving on the motorway and on winding roads. Im getting the same on my passat as a result.

• Advertisement

:o
    Cyrus wrote: »
    ok, i still dont get the thread tho :p car is coming, you'll know what you are in for soon enough :o
    I like to be prepared, was in the scouts you know.:o

Advertisement