Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John O Brien not guilty?

Options
  • 09-05-2008 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

What???? - Nothing found linking him to the crime, a free man today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Linkys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Verdict out 3 mins, just on radio now. He was accused of murdering his wife Meg Walsh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Naos wrote: »
    Linkys

http://www.rte.ie/news/

Bookmark that they have all the daily news.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Of the three recent high profile wife murderering cases (Meg Walsh, Siobhan Kearney & Rachel O'Reilly)I would have thought that the prosecution case was strongest here.

I guess taking the risk of taking to the stand paid off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Jaysus!! i was full sure he was going down..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

As expected IMO.
    Well done that jury to applying what the judge told them.
    It was just too hard to make a hard link to him.
    The main issue is that the state did not make a proper case to find him guilty beyond reasonable doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

what a farce. total disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Whiskeyman, would you think that the state proved their cases in the other two trials, O'Reilly & Kearney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

what a farce. total disgrace.
    There was fúck all evidence tbh, well none that was presented in court.

The Irish Justice System has spoken, a jury of his peers has found him not guilty.

Maybe he should have just been summarily executed when the wife was killed?

Fúck sake like, every wife that gets murdered, the husband is automatically in the frame.

If the guards got up of their holes and did a proper investigation instead of just hauling the husbands into court, we might have got a proper conviction.

Instead, there is a murderer walking the streets (I'm not saying this guy is guilty, but whoever kilt her is still out there now).

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

A disgrace because it didn't go the way you wanted!
    The jury did the job they were supposed to do.
    Luckily you weren't on it coz it would be the rope for sure then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Haven't followed a lot of it and just going on the RTE coverage, a lot of it was "circumstantial". From what I understand there are a lot of unknowns which again suggests to me that you can't apply beyond reasonable doubt. IMO he can only be not guilty.
    DesF wrote: »
    Instead, there is a murderer walking the streets (I'm not saying this guy is guilty, but whoever kilt her is still out there now).
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Of the three recent high profile wife murderering cases (Meg Walsh, Siobhan Kearney & Rachel O'Reilly)I would have thought that the prosecution case was strongest here.

I guess taking the risk of taking to the stand paid off
    Not really a strong case when it was all circumstantcial(sp?) and based on him changing his statements!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Careful whats said here, its not unknown for new evidence to come to light.

Of course if he didn't do it then the police will have to start again, interesting to see how much effort they put in.

Mike.

There wasn't much evidence in the Rachel O'Reilly case either,like the main point there was his whereabouts were different to what he said! No proof that he actually did it!

I think that really it depends on what kind of people you get on your jury!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

kmart6 wrote: »
    There wasn't much evidence in the Rachel O'Reilly case either,like the main point there was his whereabouts were different to what he said! No proof that he actually did it!

Well, the pojnt in the Joe O'Reilly case wasnt that his whereabout were different to what he first said, it was that he was shown to have been at the murder scene at the relevant time.

Regarding the jury, in this case, I believe its 7 men and 5 women; whereas in the McLoughlin case,there was a huge female majority on the jury

What would be so difficult about introducing a rule requiring 6 men and 6 women for juries in this type of case?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I hadn't been following the whole thing really, it was only his admission that he used to beat her that had me thinking that he'd go down.
    It was only yesterday when they made their arguments and the prosecution more-or-less admitted that, "We have no actual evidence, only a few bits of suggestions that make it look like he probably did it", that I thought their case was probably quite weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

Was there not evidence of her blood in the boot of the family car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

kmart6 wrote: »

Yeah, see i didn't think one could be convicted on circumstantial evidence but that shows what i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

Was there not evidence of her blood in the boot of the family car?

The car was disposed of, left in a car park. CCTV footage showed an undistinguishable figure who remote locked the car. The car was sold to Meg Walsh, who was provided with two keys.

Both keys were found in the couple's house in Waterford following a Garda search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Our justice system would be perfect but for the human element.

• Advertisement

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    it was that he was shown to have been at the murder scene at the relevant time

I know,but there was still no clear cut evidence....I didn't agree with that verdict
    Imhof Tank wrote: »
    What would be so difficult about introducing a rule requiring 6 men and 6 women for juries in this type of case?

God,imagine how long it would take them to deliberate then!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I haven't followed the case much but based on what I heard I probably would have went the other way.

But that's how trail by jury works. You sum up the evidence that has been presented before you and make a decision.

Was it a majority verdict or a unanimous verdict?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

Fúck sake like, every wife that gets murdered, the husband is automatically in the frame.

Thats because 50% of all female murder victims in Ireland are murdered by their husband, ex-husband, partner, ex-partner.

Its a high probability...nothing else.

It was unanimous

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

If the guards got up of their holes and did a proper investigation instead of just hauling the husbands into court, we might have got a proper conviction.

Statistically speaking a family member is usually found to have committed most murders of a person for one reason or another. While the husband is automatically a suspect so is everyone else in the family and anyone who had a known dislike of the murdered person. It is simply down to a process of elimination then.

If you say that the guards didn't do a proper investigation then where is your proof? You could mail it to the GSOC. Maybe you are just guessing. I didn't see it reported anywhere in the media that the guards did a bad job. I reckon that your anger is misguided.

In this case the husband had the motive when Meg Ryan was caught kissing another man, she wanted to divorce John and he had the opportunity as he had close access to her and easy access to her car. This case was fairly circumstancial 'cos the actual curder scene couldn;t be found.

In all cases of murder it is the DPP who decides if a case is worthy of going before the courts. In this case the DPP believed there was enough evidence to prosecute.
    mike65 wrote: »
    Careful whats said here, its not unknown for new evidence to come to light.

Of course if he didn't do it then the police will have to start again, interesting to see how much effort they put in.

Mike.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

DoubleJoe7 wrote: »
    It was unanimous

Then it must have been fairly clear that the jurors that he didn't do it and the evidence presented did not prove the case beyond reasonable doubt.

Not true. In this case the Gardaí didn't arrest O'Brien for months after the body was found. The clearly investigated the case and felt they had enough to charge him on it. Hardly "automatically in the frame."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Thats because 50% of all female murder victims in Ireland are murdered by their husband, ex-husband, partner, ex-partner.

So, 50% aren't, is that what you are saying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Important notice: The man has been found not guilty - under no circumstances can anyone make any remarks implying he's guilty. That is libel and he would be well within his rights to sue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Unfortunately True ...

Do you have anything to back up that 50% figure?! Are you saying that they are arrested on probability?!

The media have to hold some blame too, in recent years there have been a number of instances that involved a large number in a family being killed. The media automatically point the finger at the father/husband... Often, the results of investigations etc never come to light and the name of the father/husband and their family is blackened. Even if they were in no way at fault.

It's bullsh1t TBH...

Advertisement