Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regional "Celebrities"

Options
  • 22-04-2008 11:58am

Galway is full of them; those well-known figures that people either laud or love. We have Knacker Dwarf, Warty Nora, The Wizard - the list goes on and on. But is this phenomenon just associated with Galway, or do other areas have these figures too.

If so, what are your regional "celebrities" and where are you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Defenestrate

Jeez, so that's what happens if you drink the Galway water... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

They sound like a team of evil supervillains.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Brendan Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I suppose Aidan Walsh Master of the Universe would fall into that category. Always used to see him knocking about Temple Bar and he once tried to cajole me and two mates into forming a band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I'm afraid there's none round here, sigh we're so boring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Small provincial towns like galway have them, cultural Metropolises such as Dublin don't.

Rob_l wrote: »
    Small provincial towns like galway have them, cultural Metropolises such as Dublin don't.

But surely these figures/"celebrities" would add to the culture of a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

theres a guy works down the chip-shop swears he's elvis!

flanum wrote: »
    theres a guy works down the chip-shop swears he's elvis!
    I see what you did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

My nomination is more of a legend in every region. Known to every Eircom League fan, his name is Tom 'The Gom' Symonds. The man is an absolute legend. Goes to pretty much every game up and down the country and is a real character. Hitches lifts with fans, rants about how Cork will win the league even though he's from Kerry, shouts at young kids, the man has it all.

Anyone who's been to an eL game in the last God knows how long will know who I'm referring to.

EDIT: Just found this post from a thread three years ago -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=292579
    Tom the Gom. Always seen at Turners Cross, around the Barrs H&C, and wandering around in general. He is likely to engage you with any nonsensical conversation, so if this ever happens, nod, smile and walk away quickly. Offering him an opinion can be a bad idea, as he has a savage memory and could take you up on something years after you saying something to him. he actually once woke up on the pitch of Oriel park, Dundalk FCs ground, a few years ago. he travelled up for the City game, never booked digs, so decided the pitch would be good after hopping the wall!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

Creature wrote: »
    They sound like a team of evil supervillains.

hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I swear Warty Nora is following me around. I've seen her 4 times in the last week.

There's a few in Cork. There's a guy who listens to music on these huge headphones and dances. People throw money at him. It's pretty sad actually. There's clearly something wrong with him. There are a few videos of him on you tube but I couldn't be arsed finding them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Galway is full of them; those well-known figures that people either laud or love. We have Knacker Dwarf, Warty Nora, The Wizard - the list goes on and on. But is this phenomenon just associated with Galway, or do other areas have these figures too.

If so, what are your regional "celebrities" and where are you?

Dont forget Galway's very own McLovin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

janeybabe wrote: »
    There's a few in Cork. There's a guy who listens to music on these huge headphones and dances. People throw money at him. It's pretty sad actually. There's clearly something wrong with him. There are a few videos of him on you tube but I couldn't be arsed finding them!
    Yeah seen him around a few times. I suppose it's sad that people treat him like that but at least he always seems happy!
    Unless you count the town drunk (Drunk Jimmy) I don't think Mallow has much to offer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Where is Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Sanjuro wrote: »
    I suppose Aidan Walsh Master of the Universe would fall into that category.
    No one seems to know who he is any more, I even have a ticket from one of his old Saturday "showcase" gigs from way back in 1999.

Although I have heard some "interesting" stories about the guy and he even has a film about him:
    http://www.nosebleedpress.com/nbaidan.htm
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0446269/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

+1 for Tom Symonds, nice one Xavi, what a "legend" he is.

stovelid wrote: »
    Where is Galway?
    Just keep heading East.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

There's a huge fella called 'The Rock' and he walks around tymon park picking up people and shaking them, the parkies are always after him!

Whos your man that sells tickets outside the point with one leg? He has to be famous! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lorweld

Does anyone remember "Flash"? He used to hang aroung Gmit all the time back when I was a student there. He used to always say hows the boys? hows the girls? He was some legend

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Rob_l wrote: »
    Pah! The Characters of Dublin...

The beggar at Heuston Luas Station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

janeybabe wrote: »
    I swear Warty Nora is following me around. I've seen her 4 times in the last week.

trust me you'd KNOW if Nora were trying to follow you around. "h'ie my shoesshh"

Sherifu wrote: »
    Just keep heading East.

dont you mean west? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Gerry Bokebeard (Belfast) died about a month ago.

He was the aul drunk bollix that would walk up and down Botanic Gardens. I think he had quite a variety of contagious diseases.

Loved an aul bottle of QC so he did.

dont you mean west? :rolleyes:
    No.

Rolleyes, the tool of the razor witted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Regional "celebrities" = benefits of years of selective inbreeding

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

There was Billy in the Bowl.. he was born with no legs and would drag himself around town in a large bowl... He had powerful arms and he would mug people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Sherifu wrote: »
    No.

Rolleyes, the tool of the razor witted.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭soozb82

Jigsaw wrote: »
    Gerry Bokebeard (Belfast) died about a month ago.

He was the aul drunk bollix that would walk up and down Botanic Gardens. I think he had quite a variety of contagious diseases.

Loved an aul bottle of QC so he did.

I never knew that was his name! My friends and I knew him as '****ty pants', I suppose either works! Still sad that he died in some alley! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭strawberryb0y

Xavi6 wrote: »
    My nomination is more of a legend in every region. Known to every Eircom League fan, his name is Tom 'The Gom' Symonds.http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=292579
    Legend, was talkin to him a few weeks back in the Showgrounds

Advertisement