Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secret deal to persuade Ireland on EU treaty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Certainly worrying that they are trying to keep certain details of the treaty away from us.

I have to look more deeply into the treaty now, before I vote, in light of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Just how sensitive some issues can be became clear earlier this month when Christine Lagarde, Mr Sarkozy's finance minister, said Paris was "determined" to push for harmonised corporation taxes across Europe.

Her words sent a shiver through Ireland, where a low corporation tax - 12.5 per cent compared with 28 per cent in Britain - is one of the main factors credited with attracting the international companies that have helped create its "Celtic Tiger" economy.

Nowhere would the loss of that commercial advantage be felt more keenly than in the small town of Leixlip, Co Kildare, 11 miles west of Dublin.
    That could be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭jessop1

wes wrote: »
    I have to look more deeply into the treaty now, before I vote, in light of this.

you should take a look at the link in my signature. See how that info stands up against the vague promises and conflicting signals we are getting from the elites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Not surprising. I for one will be voting No.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

jessop1 wrote: »
    you should take a look at the link in my signature. See how that info stands up against the vague promises and conflicting signals we are getting from the elites.

Will give it a look, when I have time to sit down and give it good read.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

There's already a thread open on the Lisbon Treaty. jessop1, I suggest that you read it - yes, I know it's long - and see that most of the points raised in your signature link have been raised and largely rebutted.

As for the article you reference, it manages to totally and utterly miss the rather significant point that the Lisbon Treaty has no bearing - none whatsoever - on our corporate tax rates. If you feel differently, take it up on the other thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement