Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old/ classic adverts

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭wexhun

Yeah, the TOM DID YOU PUT THE CAT OUT? I still say that every nite to the hubby to wreck his head.

The old Harp adds with the camal.

LYONS THE QUALITY TEA with the minstrils!!!

Remember
    1 look for a safe place
    2 Don't hurry stop and wait
    3 look all around and listen before you cross the road remember
    or something like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭wexhun

Hands that do dishes can feel as soft as your face with mild green....

FAIRY LIQUID!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

Flukey wrote:
    The PG Tips Chimps. We are talking 1970s here. Dad, do you know the piano's on my foot?" "You hum it son and I'll play it." :)

Heres A LINK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

This has to be one of the best ever............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0SbVFxl64A

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭AnnaStezia

What ad (TV I think) had a punchline "slim, trim and brimful of energy" ?

There are a few fossils in this house going demented trying to remember the product being advertised. Any help to relieve them of their misery would be appreciated.

I suspect it is 1970's vintage !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

AnnaStezia wrote:
    What ad (TV I think) had a punchline "slim, trim and brimful of energy" ?

There are a few fossils in this house going demented trying to remember the product being advertised.
    Now you have a fossil here going demented too!
    I'm sure it'll come back to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Myth wrote:
    Who's taking the horse to France?
    Bastard. That was my one. The follow-up, the French Home-Ec teacher borrowing some butter when the principal comes in just didn't live up to the original.

In replace of Dairygold, I give you milk:
    Them bones them bones need... calcium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Child #1 : How many bones has a body got?

Wooden Skeleton : A child's got more bones than a grown up's got.

Child #2 : A child's got more bones than a grown up's got?

Wooden Skeleton : ...and that's a nat-ur-al law. Them bones, them bones need cal-cium. Them bones, them bones need cal-cium. Them bones, them bones need cal-cium...and that's...a nat-ur-al...law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Ibid wrote:
    Bastard. That was my one. The follow-up, the French Home-Ec teacher borrowing some butter when the principal comes in just didn't live up to the original.

In replace of Dairygold, I give you milk:
    Them bones them bones need... calcium

The 'Dad whos taking the horse to France' one is hardly ancient!!!

Apologies for double post Ruu but....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDEJpqljvIc

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Never in a month of Sundays, Bisto Gravy.

Off topic: Can anyone find the Lemsip max strength ad (sorts the men from the boys?) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Remember this ad was on practically every Sunday on Sky One in the break of 'The Simpsons' from Halloween to Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

basquille wrote:
    Remember this ad was on practically every Sunday on Sky One in the break of 'The Simpsons' from Halloween to Christmas!

they're using child labour!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 canofsteam

can anyone help me find the kellogs corn flakes chrismas advert. the one with the kids staying up to see santa, and the lil blonde kid wakes up and sees him. ending in a christmassy ho ho ho.

i cant find it does anyone have it or know where it can be found??

cheers.

Still looking for the Kelloggs one. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

canofsteam wrote: »
    can anyone help me find the kellogs corn flakes chrismas advert. the one with the kids staying up to see santa, and the lil blonde kid wakes up and sees him. ending in a christmassy ho ho ho.

i cant find it does anyone have it or know where it can be found??

cheers.

Twas on TV last night would you believe, think it was TV3 between 9-10 so they are still showing it. Set your video or whatever new fangled contraption you have and you might get lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

" so you'll be staying for dinner then?" :D ah you have to love those kerrygold adds, only the irish can combine bitter fustration and disapproval of the elderly and sexual abuse of foreigners by wanton culchie lassies!

I always wondered why they didn't hire Marlon Brando to do a "Last Kerrygold in Paris" ad :eek: Suppose the budget wouldn't stretch...

"I.S. 148. Sounds like a robot doesn't it?"

Does anyone remember this one... TV Shop Man in brown coat nearly giving himself a hernia lifting a HUGE (by 1970's standards) TV out of a van. Kids bouncing around in uncontained glee as the song goes "When you switch your old grey tellly... for a brand new colour set..." Think it was for Ferguson and it would have been the mid-70s.

Life ain't always empty.

#If you... had the only... car in the world#
    You could drive as you please.
    But you haven't, and you can't.

And we all remember the creeper! Now he's banjaxed TWO lanes of traffic.

Life ain't always empty.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Anyone remember the old Yoplait ad with the yoghurt pots and spoons dancing to a piece of classical music "In the Hall of the Mountain King" ?

Or the McCain Microchips ad "3 minutes flat, their on your plate, quickity quick! Microchips!"

Awesome, thanks!
    Was trying to find out about that Yoplait music.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

remember,
    one, look for a safe place
    two, don’t hurry, stop and wait,
    three look all around and listen
    before you cross the road,
    remember,
    four, let all the traffic pass you
    five, then walking straight across you
    six, keep watching,
    that’s the safe cross code!

safe place, stop and wait
    safe place, stop and wait
    safe ground, look around,
    listen for a traffic sound
    if traffic’s coming let it pass
    until the road is clear at last
    then walking straight across the road
    keep watching, that’s the code.

remember,
    one, look for a safe place
    two, don’t hurry, stop and wait,
    three look all around and listen
    before you cross the road,
    remember,
    four, let all the traffic pass you
    five, then walking straight across you
    six, keep watching,
    that’s the safe cross code
    that’s the safe cross code
    know the safe cross code
    know the code!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://crookedtimber.org/2007/01/25/toward-a-catalog-of-irish-public-service-ads/
    the ones I can remember are

So You’re Off To School On Your Bike, narrated by Mike Murphy. “No signals, nobody looked, all on the wrong side of the road—in fact, just about everything was wrong.” You tell ‘em Mike.

John, Did You Put The Cat Out?.
    A classic short regarding fire hazards at home. Bookended by John being harangued by his wife (in bed) for not remembering to put the cat out. In between, nearly burns the house down due to improbable combination of (a) smoldering cigarettes left in precariously perched ashtray, (b) overloaded electrical socket, (c) stroke of genius by panic-ridden John of throwing half-finished whisky on incipient fire and making the curtains catch alight, (d) second stroke of genius of throwing water on the electrical fire next to the telly. Cat likely moved out permanently later, or was accidentally left in the freezer or something.

E.D.I.T.H.
    A close second on fire safety. Every family should have an Evacuation Drill In The Home worked out. Dad plans everything and informs the family about the drill at a family meeting. Dad gets to blow the whistle initiating the Drill. Only Dad gets to blow the whistle. Naturally, the house actually burns down shortly afterward. Do not jump from upstairs bedroom windows. Do not breathe in smoke. Do not blow the whistle unless you are Dad. I remember us pestering my father to work out an E.D.I.T.H. for us. He was skeptical.

Big John, or, Oh, Me Achin’ Back.
    Work safety. All about Big John, who spent the day lifting stuff at work in a non-orthopedically wise manner. Set to C&W style music. “But he never gave a thought to his back booooone ….. Oooh, me achin’ back!” Worth it for the shot of Big John in traction at the end.

Two Will Do.
    Early days of anti drink-driving campaigns. Each drink (whisky as I remember) is likened to loading a shell into a shotgun.

Road Safety.
    Wear light-colored clothing and reflective armbands at night or die violently on the road. Also, put some lights on your bike. Contained disturbing (for a c. 7 year old) shot of person being hit head on by a car. Also contained disturbing (for anyone) but true sentence about Ireland: “In the Winter it can get dark as early as half past four.”

Fire-proof nighties.
    No, really. Always buy a nightie with this code on the label. I forget the code. I bet someone else remembers, though. The actress may later have played the Witch on Fortycoats but I’m not sure.

Rabies Kills—Agonizingly.
    Rabies Kills. Agonizingly. Look at this picture of a man foaming at the mouth, strapped to a hospital bed. Now look at this picture of a dog jumping off a boat onto a dock. Keep Rabies Out of Ireland you dirty foreigners.

Yellow Box Guy.
    A vain effort to teach Irish motorists about keeping junctions clear of traffic by not driving in the goddamn yellow box, starring underemployed council worker Michelangelo,. Phrase “goddamn box” not actually used in original spot.

Public Health.
    “Noel Carroll can run 800 meters in …” some time or other. A lot faster than you, anyway. Also, someone else can swim faster than you and so on. You are fat. See, you are not fit enough to run up those steps. Or catch that bus. There it goes. Start exercising. Contained memorable, perfectly-composed shot of a couple in a restaurant above a tennis court. Down below, two people are energetically playing tennis. In the restaurant, the one table we see is filled with the remains of a gigantic Irish breakfast, and also several drinks, and an ashtray full of cigarettes. The guy on the left has an enormous pot belly, pattern baldness, bulbous eyes and thick, fleshy lips. He looks like a well-fed, Irish Gollum. He glances out the window with amused contempt. “That’s not for me at all,” he says.

Cringe
    The classic is the ‘Phone Wreckers Are Idiots’ ad. It starred Bob Geldof and was set to the tune of Pink Floyd’s ‘Another Brick in the Wall’. The lyrics went something like:

We don’t need your stupid messing,
    We all want to use that phone,
    Smash that phone on the doorstep,
    Hey! Stupid! Leave the phone alone.

Reach throw wade row - she survided buy you didn't
    Also a great drowning one but this might have been on a UK channel (we lived close enough to NI to pick up a signal). It showed various scenarios for a would-be rescue. Essentially the message was that if you just try and grab the person you’ll probably drown too but if you use a handy broken branch or your own coat to give them something to cling on to all will be well.

There was also a great one along the lines of the traffic box. Two cars coming fron opposite directions and each wants to turn right across the oncoming lane of traffic. So instead of having to wait for eachother, they do this kinky manouevre of sidling up close to eachother and turning about 45 degrees in such as they both can see oncoming traffic. And they both get a break in traffic at the same time, and manouevre off beautifully. It’s like ballet.

I think of it literally every time I’m turning right, and in twenty years I’ve never seen anyone do it. qft

I can’t look at a polyester nightie without thinking of it burning to a crisp and someone in it.

About every third time I stay at one friend’s house, we ask each other in Dublin accents if we put the cat out.

Oh and do you remember that sneaky one of a driver overtaking a parked van or bus when a child runs out in front of it?
    Driver’s fault, of course – they would always ‘replay’ it and show the kid’s feet behind the van, and say the driver should have looked for this sure sign of a child about to launch himself into the road. But in the first shot there were never any feet. Infuriating!

Vaccination – German measles and pregnancy – Warning about the risks if you get German measles (Rubella) while pregnant. The “deaf” baby in the ad was still giving me the creeps when my wife was pregnant
    How could I have forgotten this one? Shouting “BA! BA! BA!” at someone’s ear was a standard way of telling them they’d done something stupid.

There were also ones about the dangers of electricity, farmers and overhead power lines was one, and another where a child climbs up an a pylon to recover a Frisbee (again dating the ad) frying himself in the process.

Also, there was one telling mums not to yack on the phone or their children would drown in the paddle pool, or farmers to talk to their friends or the kids would climb into 44 gallon drums used to store water and drown (there was a particularly affecting shor at the end of that one with a childs legs sticking out of the water barrel.

I can remember a cartoon where the family put the dog out only for him to join a feral pack of sheep killing mutts, only to come home later and snuggle up by the fire.
    The animated ad imploring us to keep our dogs locked in at night? A seemingly harmless family dog turns into a bloodthirsty killer after dark. Joins a roving gang of similarly un-tethered dogs for a sheep-killing rampage. I can still picture the field full of sheep lying with their throats torn out. I think it left quite an impression on anyone who was young at the time!

I think that there had to be one about safety boxes/U bars on tractors but I might be confusing that with the farmers and overhead wires referenced

We had the rabies obsession in Britain, too. The general message conveyed by the media was that if you set foot in France you’d be dead of rabies before you got through customs.

This may be my imagination, especially since no-one else has mentioned it yet, but I seem to recall an effort to stop children from playing near slurry pits (for those of you who live in cities, these are exactly what you think they are.) I do remember what seemed to me as a ten year old to be an epidemic of children being drowned in them, but my memories may be of the news coverage rather than any PSA.

Wasn’t there one about the proper place to park your bicycle? I.e. don’t leave it lying on the ground in front of a bakery or the man carrying the tray of loaves will go flying etc…

My favourite is the water safety ad, depicting a family, elderly grandparent in tow, enjoying a trip to a riverside park. All appears to be going well until we hear one of the children inquiring “Where’s Grandad?”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Davedubh

Does anyone else remember the one with all the fork lifts crashing and causing mayhem.Im begining to think i might have imagined it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I remember ALL of those Capn Midnight! Thanks for the memories. The reach throw wade row was an English ad so you're right there. 1970s I think. Probably most of the ones you mentioned were. There was another Irish one with that guy Charlie Kelly from Fair City where he's in the pub complaining the kid wanted money for a school tour and in the same breath ordering a few pints for the lads. I think the message was " get out of the pub and look after the kids" 1970s again in a time where the men went to the pub and the mammies stayed home and were grateful he came home with some money!

Fire-proof nighties.
    No, really. Always buy a nightie with this code on the label. I forget the code. I bet someone else remembers, though.

I already posted this up the thread :)
    "I.S. 148. Sounds like a robot, doesn't it?"
    The actress may later have played the Witch on Fortycoats but I’m not sure.
    Pretty sure it was the same wan (and she was defintely a 'wan') who pestered poor John about the cat.
    Rabies Kills—Agonizingly.
    Road deaths during the 1970s - thousands
    Rabies deaths during the 1970s - nil or pretty damn close.
    Priorities?
    Yellow Box Guy.
    Ah yes, Mícheal Angelo... they seriously could do with running that one on every ad break these days, along with the "Keep Left. Pass Right. It's the basic rule of lane discipline" one.
    Public Health.
    “Noel Carroll can run 800 meters in …” some time or other. A lot faster than you, anyway.
    Yeah but these days I whup his ass. The phrase "healthiest guy in the graveyard" comes to mind...
    The classic is the ‘Phone Wreckers Are Idiots’ ad.
    Oddly (or maybe thankfully) I don't remember that one at all.
    How could I have forgotten this one? Shouting “BA! BA! BA!” at someone’s ear was a standard way of telling them they’d done something stupid.
    Yep that one's a keeper
    Also, there was one telling mums not to yack on the phone or their children would drown in the paddle pool, or farmers to talk to their friends or the kids would climb into 44 gallon drums used to store water and drown (there was a particularly affecting shor at the end of that one with a childs legs sticking out of the water barrel.
    Classic stuff. Also included the "Where's Grandad" segment.

We always thought that one was funny, but there was an earlier ad (and we were younger then!) about drowning which was scary. Started with a bunch of kids gleefully running off a bus towards the beach, and ended with a sheet being pulled over one of them. The bit where the horn section chimed in with a nasty dischord always sent shivers up my spine (still does!)

Does anyone remember the ad where a rather rotund chap is buying a Fiat 131 Mirafiori but finds that the (clip-together, not inertia reel) seat belt is about two foot too short to go around him? The idea was (in the days when you had to pay extra for seat belts) was to get people to spend a few quid more to get decent belts.

"Tyres. Five of the best friends you'll ever have" (just before a Vauxhall drives right over a brick.) I remember asking my dad why they said five.

There was also a good UK one with a red BMC1100/1300 with the radial and cross-ply tyres mixed up doing a rather improbable, in retrospect, spin and flip. We had an Austin 1100 at the time :eek: so it definitely made an impression.

Life ain't always empty.

Davedubh wrote: »
    Does anyone else remember the one with all the fork lifts crashing and causing mayhem.Im begining to think i might have imagined it.

Vaguely. But this one is miles better (skip along to 2:30 minutes, and enjoy)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kNzWn0KZ27A&feature=related

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Hey Tosh got a Toshiba??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCQ6FtHSf6Y

Always loved that ad growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Rockee wrote: »

Ah man, you're a legend! Been trying to find that ad for ages. I tried Googling "Iron Maiden Lucozade Daley Thompson ad" and "Phantom Of The Opera Lucozade ad" and various combinations of both a while back to see if I could find it but no joy. Thanks for posting that, Rockee.

That was probably the ad that got me into the music of Iron Maiden! Daley Thompson and Lucozade have a lot to answer for! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭ikb

HAPPINESS...IS A CIGAR... CALLED ....HAMLET....
    Waterloo...The Race course...

Advertisement