Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One hit wonders in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭coolguy

Bellefire, they had a hit with Perfect Bliss.
    4 good looking birds too;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Firetrap wrote: »
    The lads who sang that "I'm a Man United Man" song :mad:

Ha ha jays yeah remember that?! What a crock of sh*t!

How many 'hits' did OTT have? I think they did an Osmonds cover version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Oh yeah, they were the poor man's Boyzone. I'm not sure they were one-hit wonders though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

That's funny. I created that Wikipedia page about 3 years ago, when I was reading a book on one hit wonders.

I'd competely forgotten about it, until now. It's more or less the same as it was when I created it. Needs some more work, but this thread'll be helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

The lads who sang that "I'm a Man United Man" song :mad:

I thought that was the Sawdoctors?

• Advertisement

There could have been Sawdoctors involved but there were also a raft of 2fm DJs like John Kenny & Aidan Leonard. Which begs the question - do you consider a collaboration to be a one-hit wonder?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

There could have been Sawdoctors involved but there were also a raft of 2fm DJs like John Kenny & Aidan Leonard. Which begs the question - do you consider a collaboration to be a one-hit wonder?

I'd say no. If the people get together to produce one song you can't really class them as 1-hit wonders (which refer to bands that release several songs but only make it big with just the one).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

How about that tune back in the late 70's "One Day At A Time" by some wan with red hair? It was number 1 for about a year but that was the only hit that girl had. My parents got that 45.

Also the Eurovision songs were mostly one offs like Cathal Dunne way back when.

Edited... actually One Day At A Time was by Gloria and was in the charts for a whole 90 weeks. Plus she had a few other minor hits back then.... see: http://www.irishcharts.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Didn't Miley from Glenroe have a hit in the 80's too. Forget the actual name of the song but I think I remember Tom Dunne saying one time it kept his band, Something Happens off the No. 1 spot at the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

kelle wrote: »
    Were they an Irish band?
    Ruu wrote: »
    Wikipedia says they came from Raleigh, North Carolina. I remember the video more than the song.

Oops. I always though they were Irish because they had an Irish sounding name.

Dana- All kinds of everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Didn't Miley from Glenroe have a hit in the 80's too. Forget the actual name of the song but I think I remember Tom Dunne saying one time it kept his band, Something Happens off the No. 1 spot at the time!

Im not sure if it was the 80's or the early 90's, but I remember some of the lyrics (as our teacher made us learn it :o).

"... her hair shone red like the berries on the rowan, her skin was white like the light upon the snow, How can I forget her the morning that I met her, on the side of the hill, through the byroads to Glenroe"

Fcuk, Im 10 again!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

coolguy wrote: »
    Bellefire, they had a hit with Perfect Bliss.
    4 good looking birds too;)

Didn't they also cover U2's "All I Want is You" ?

Dunno if it was a hit but it got a lot of airplay at the time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

The Frank and Walters--After All

The Irish World Cup squad 1990.

Joliegood wrote: »
    The Frank and Walters--After All

Was "Fashion Crisis Hits New York" a hit ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭bookiebasher

no sweat had a number one a few years back ....i went to school with lead singer

no sweat had a number one a few years back ....i went to school with lead singer

"Heart And Soul"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Anyone remember Dove? Can't remember if they had just the one hit. Might've been just two.

Were the Saw Doctors one hit wonders? I know there was one big one (though I can't remember what it goes like now) but presumably they were big "down the country"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Yer wan Carly Hennessy "Beautiful You" ... was actually a good pop song. She moved to America and is now Carly (different surname) in American Idol last 9!

Exit wrote: »
    Were the Saw Doctors one hit wonders? I know there was one big one (though I can't remember what it goes like now) but presumably they were big "down the country"?

N17
    I Useta Lover (longest running Irish-produced number one)

Two number 1 albums and 2 top twenty hits in the UK chart.

1-hit wonder is really a hit-and-run type of band who appear, get to the top with a song and then slowly fade away never achieving chart success again. The Saw Doctors are still as active as ever but seem to do better in album sales than single sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

There was a band called Fifth Avenue that had a song called "Party All Night"...unfortunately I still remember the chorus:(
    Does anyone remember a girl band called FAB?? I think one of Shane Lynch's sisters was in it...I've just googled and couldn't find anything. Please tell me I'm not going crazy and making things up!:eek:
    Yer wan Carly Hennessy "Beautiful You" ... was actually a good pop song. She moved to America and is now Carly (different surname) in American Idol last 9!

Carly Smithson. She's a fantastic singer. I'm actually really interested in American Idol now because of her.
    Exit wrote:
    Anyone remember Dove? Can't remember if they had just the one hit. Might've been just two.
    I saw them playing a free gig on a milk truck in Mallow!!!:D:D:D God that was about 8 or 9 years ago...
    Yeah I remember them covering "Don't Dream It's Over" . Never liked that song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I saw them playing a free gig on a milk truck in Mallow!!!:D:D:D God that was about 8 or 9 years ago...
    Yeah I remember them covering "Don't Dream It's Over" . Never liked that song.

That reminds me, I once saw another one hit wonder play a free gig in Mayo I think it was ... they were superstars: CHURCH MICE ! ! Remember them? They done a cover of Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel's " Make Me Smile"

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Whatever happened to Furry Village that did a (IMO) nice version of My Lagan Love ?

That reminds me, I once saw another one hit wonder play a free gig in Mayo I think it was ... they were superstars: CHURCH MICE ! ! Remember them? They done a cover of Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel's " Make Me Smile"

YES!!! CHURCH MICE!! I REMEMBER THEM!!!!:D:D:D

yeah they were rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

There was a band called Fifth Avenue that had a song called "Party All Night"...unfortunately I still remember the chorus:(
    Does anyone remember a girl band called FAB?? I think one of Shane Lynch's sisters was in it...I've just googled and couldn't find anything. Please tell me I'm not going crazy and making things up!:eek:

Ha ha yes I remember both Fift Avenue and FAB. I actually have a FAB logo pin badge at home for some reason! 'Exclusive' interview with them here -

http://members.tripod.com/~irish_pop/fab.html
    Fab appeared on the National Lottery in England last week, and Ringo Starr, an ex- Beatle was also on the show. He was so impressed withthem that he approached them and asked if he could write a song for them!! Go Girls!! This is a true sign that Fab! are going to be on the tip of your tongue soon, so you better watch out for them!!

ROFL!!!

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ha ha yes I remember both Fift Avenue and FAB.
    Oh thank God! I was afraid I might have gone insane!:pac:

Wasn't that My Town? Released around 1998/99? I somewhat remember one of Fifth Avenue's songs, "Infidelity."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not a one hit wonder , but the hit was far bigger than the other stuff
    Moloko - Sing it Back

Lick the tins - cover of I can't help falling in love (the snapper - got airplay don't know if charted)

Does this guy have any Irish connections ?
    Liam Lynch - United states of whatever

Frank Kelly - 12 days of christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Anyone remember 'The Moon is Puse' by the (I think) the Gerryatriks circa 1979? No? I'll fetch me Zimmer-frame.

I vaguely remember a band called Missing Link which had an INXS-ish song called Shake It Up. I dunno if anyone bought it though but it defo got lots of airplay in the late 80s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Didn't that Irish one on American Idol release a song or two, didn't get very far though, I don't think anyone even remembered her.

Advertisement