Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faith healing church parents charged over toddler's death

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Don't they realise God invented medecine so they could save their child!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Galvasean wrote: »
    Don't they realise God invented medecine so they could save their child!!?
    Which day was that on?

MrP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    Scary and very sad
    Very scary and very sad that the kid died -- four weeks younger than my own kid which puts it in perspective for me.

While it's is thoroughly commendable that they are to be prosecuted for manslaughter, it would be interesting to see if the preacher at this church could be prosecuted as an accessory to manslaughter, since he/she was probably aware of what was going on, and may well have chosen to do nothing about it.

Such a prosecution, even if it failed, would send a clear and unambiguous message to people in this position that they will be held to account for what they preach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Thou shalt not put the Lord thy God to the test.

kelly1 wrote: »
    You're not putting god to the test, you're putting what people say about god to the test. That's quite a different thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

While it's is thoroughly commendable that they are to be prosecuted for manslaughter, it would be interesting to see if the preacher at this church could be prosecuted as an accessory to manslaughter, since he/she was probably aware of what was going on, and may well have chosen to do nothing about it.
    Good point actually. Whilst the preacher would not be as responsible as the parents he would certainly be an accessory to what happened. It might depend on whether or not he could be held accountable according to the letter of the law.
    Such a prosecution, even if it failed, would send a clear and unambiguous message to people in this position that they will be held to account for what they preach.
    Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Agreed. Such are the tragic consequences of mistaken beliefs followed to their logical conclusion. Legal intervention would have been appropriate before the death, and is certainly so now - as a deterent.

robindch wrote: »
    You're not putting god to the test, you're putting what people say about god to the test. That's quite a different thing.
    :confused:
    Two followers of a fundamentalist Christian church that favours faith healing over conventional medicine are to be prosecuted for manslaughter after their daughter died of a treatable infection.

My point is that these fundamentalists forced God into a corner so to speak by expecting a miracle while refusing medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

My point is that these fundamentalists forced God into a corner so to speak by expecting a miracle while refusing medicine.

So God only heals sick people who also take advantage of modern medicine? Conveniant that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

It will be interesting to see if the law hey are charged with stands up if challenged on constitutional ground ‘s , another thing to ponder is that if someone gives advice that god will heal their child can they be charged in relation to the fact that they gave medical advice with out being entitled to ??

• Advertisement

so God punished the child because of the behaviour of her parents?

So God only heals sick people who also take advantage of modern medicine? Conveniant that.
    Of course not. Haven't you heard of miracles? People usually seeks God's help as a last resort.
    so God punished the child because of the behaviour of her parents?
    No. I'm sure God didn't give the girl the disease. But they were effectively trying to force God's hand. If God had healed the girl, it would set a precedent and other would be more likely to follow suit. This is trying to force God to suit us when it should be the other way round.

People usually seeks God's help as a last resort.
    People pray when their loved ones are sick all the time. Most wouldn't wait until the last resort before praying for Gods help.
    No. I'm sure God didn't give the girl the disease. But they were effectively trying to force God's hand. If God had healed the girl, it would set a precedent and other would be more likely to follow suit.
    I wasn't suggesting that God gave the girl the disease. So you are in face saying that God lets the girl die because he doesn't want to set precedent? :confused:

I wasn't suggesting that God gave the girl the disease. So you are in fact saying that God lets the girl die because he doesn't want to set precedent? :confused:
    Don't you see it as a kind of blackmail? You cure my girl or I'll let her die sort of thing. So if God did give in, it would set a precedent, wouldn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Bisar

Don't you see it as a kind of blackmail? You cure my girl or I'll let her die sort of thing. So if God did give in, it would set a precedent, wouldn't it?
    The guardian article is a little sketchy on the motivations of the parents but it doesn't sound like it was a case of "heal my child or else". It sounds more like they trusted god implicitly to heal their child - a trust that was misplaced as it turns out.

Incidentally, would healing sick children really be such a bad precedent to set?

The guardian article is a little sketchy on the motivations of the parents but it doesn't sound like it was a case of "heal my child or else". It sounds more like they trusted god implicitly to heal their child - a trust that was misplaced as it turns out.

Incidentally, would healing sick children really be such a bad precedent to set?
    This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say.
    Don't you see it as a kind of blackmail?
    How exactly would it be blackmail? It seems that they were merely putting their faith in their god, and following their beliefs, beliefs that were obviously strongly held.

Not at all.

The bible is quite clear on the matter -- Matthew 7:7 ("Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."), or Proverbs 3:5-6 ("Trust in the Lord with all your heart [...] and he will make your paths straight") or James 5:16 ("The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective"). There are plenty more in a similar vein as I'm sure you know.

These fundamentalists are clearly believing verbatim and without question, what they have been told, either by the bible and/or by their local preacher, to believe.

Either god is not keeping his promises according to written text of the bible, or else the bible does not reflect the wishes of god. You can't have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

No. I'm sure God didn't give the girl the disease.

Assuming for a moment the existence of an all-powerful and ever-living God (I'm an atheist), He is by definition entirely responsible by either action or inaction for the disease, the infection of the girl and her death. A Christian is not meant to doubt any of that but rather to have faith that this is part of God's plan.

None of the above requires a good Christian to reject antibiotics. A sad tale, from anyone's perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Not at all.

The bible is quite clear on the matter -- Matthew 7:7 ("Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."), or Proverbs 3:5-6 ("Trust in the Lord with all your heart [...] and he will make your paths straight") or James 5:16 ("The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective"). There are plenty more in a similar vein as I'm sure you know.

These fundamentalists are clearly believing verbatim and without question, what they have been told, either by the bible and/or by their local preacher, to believe.

Either god is not keeping his promises according to written text of the bible, or else the bible does not reflect the wishes of god. You can't have it both ways.

Why is it you speak with such authority on the matter? Your language is so definitive. Its like, 'This is the way it is, so these are the scenarios'. Could you answer me, who was jesus addressing when he said this? Also, when the manifestations of the gifts of spirit are mentioned by Paul, why is it that 'some' have the gift of healing. 'Others' the gift of prophesy, 'others' the gift of tongues etc? Also, maybe these folk in question are not righteous in the eyes of God. There are so many other possabilities yet you jump at the chance to stamp on the christian faith. Why not be a bit more open to the fact that you may not be as enlightened as you think? Instead of trying to manipulate scenario's to suit your agenda, be honest. Just a suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

JimiTime wrote: »
    Why is it you speak with such authority on the matter? Your language is so definitive. Its like, 'This is the way it is, so these are the scenarios'. Could you answer me, who was jesus addressing when he said this? Also, when the manifestations of the gifts of spirit are mentioned by Paul, why is it that 'some' have the gift of healing. 'Others' the gift of prophesy, 'others' the gift of tongues etc? Also, maybe these folk in question are not righteous in the eyes of God. There are so many other possabilities yet you jump at the chance to stamp on the christian faith. Why not be a bit more open to the fact that you may not be as enlightened as you think? Instead of trying to manipulate scenario's to suit your agenda, be honest. Just a suggestion.
    There was an episode of My Shocking Story on Discovery the other night about a teenage girl in african who got a life treatening bone tumour growing on her jaw. Google "Pastina Nkotki or "Face Eating Tumour" if you want more details. She has weeks to live without the operation. Anyway, the mother along with her local church charity secured an operation in a top hospital in miami. The operation was successful, girl was saved and they went back to africa.

When the operation was taking place, the mother was constantly praying with the nuns that came along with her. When they got back, she couldn't wait to tell everyone about how Jesus, not the doctors, saved her daughter. There was a big party in their local church, they praised their lord. Why is it ok for religious people to manupulate scenario's to suit their agenda and strengthen their faith?

So if you get what you prayed for it's god's doing. If you don't then god is testing you or whoever was praying (including those nuns) might not righteous in the eyes of God. This nonsense is too convenient.

The girl died anyway months later. Maybe god changed his mind afterall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

CodeMonkey wrote: »
    There was an episode of My Shocking Story on Discovery the other night about a teenage girl in african who got a life treatening bone tumour growing on her jaw. Google "Pastina Nkotki or "Face Eating Tumour" if you want more details. She has weeks to live without the operation. Anyway, the mother along with her local church charity secured an operation in a top hospital in miami. The operation was successful, girl was saved and they went back to africa.

When the operation was taking place, the mother was constantly praying with the nuns that came along with her. When they got back, she couldn't wait to tell everyone about how Jesus, not the doctors, saved her daughter. There was a big party in their local church, they praised their lord. Why is it ok for religious people to manupulate scenario's to suit their agenda and strengthen their faith?

So if you get what you prayed for it's god's doing. If you don't then god is testing you or whoever was praying (including those nuns) might not righteous in the eyes of God. This nonsense is too convenient.

Since a church charity made the operation possible, then I would think that the parents are quite justified in giving the praise to Jesus.

Of course if the child had been a rich Westerner then the doctors would have taken the money and carried out the operation without the church charity needing to get involved at all. In that case we could give the credit to the doctors, or maybe to the power of money?

Very scary and very sad that the kid died -- four weeks younger than my own kid which puts it in perspective for me.

I think such a prosecution would be an excellent idea, and shouldn't be too difficult to prove. Most churches make audio or visual recordings of sermons etc (as Barack Obama can testify :) ) and anyone who encourages people to avoid appropriate medical treatment should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

CodeMonkey wrote: »
    Why is it ok for religious people to manupulate scenario's to suit their agenda and strengthen their faith?

'Religious people'. Thats the hurdle you have right there. 'Religious people', alledgedly blew up the twin towers. 'Religious people' slaughtered millions in the crusades. 'religious people' suicide bomb civillians on a regular basis. Rather than look at the behaviour of people who claim faith, you must in good concience seek the truth. 'Religious people' can be misinformed, worship false gods, be self righteous etc etc. Looking at how 'religious people' behave will not really reveal much. The key is knowing the fruits of the true God. Only then will you recognise it in others.

PDN wrote: »
    Since a church charity made the operation possible, then I would think that the parents are quite justified in giving the praise to Jesus.

If it was an Islamic organisation that organised the trip would you think that Muhammed deserved praise for saving the girls life?

If it was an Islamic organisation that organised the trip would you think that Muhammed deserved praise for saving the girls life?

I think the parents would be entitled to praise the 'Prophet' if his followers, in attempting to follow his teachings, had made the trip possible.

I think the parents would be entitled to praise the 'Prophet' if his followers, in attempting to follow his teachings, had made the trip possible.

I would like to think that people care for sick children in their community not because they are Christian, Muslim or whatever religion but because this is a natural human response. I praise the Christian community who did raise the money but I believe the fact that they were Christian was less important than that they were a community.

In any case I have to say I dislike this idea that Jesus should recieve praise when people do good simply because the opposite is not the case. When a person does bad it is him and him alone who will recieve the punishment for his actions, likewise I think when a person does good praise should be reserved for just this person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I would like to think that people care for sick children in their community not because they are Christian, Muslim or whatever religion but because this is a natural human response. I praise the Christian community who did raise the money but I believe the fact that they were Christian was less important than that they were a community.

In any case I have to say I dislike this idea that Jesus should recieve praise when people do good simply because the opposite is not the case. When a person does bad it is him and him alone who will recieve the punishment for his actions, likewise I think when a person does good praise should be reserved for just this person.

Nicely put. Also there are plenty of atheists who do good deeds under the assumption that there are no afterlife treats awaiting them. Altruism and a sense of community are the key. Perhaps the path is less important.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Whats he afraid of?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Of course not. Haven't you heard of miracles?
    Haven't heard of a single verifiable miracle. But if you know of one, James Randi will give you a million dollars if you can prove it. (you could do a lot of good with that much money)

No. I'm sure God didn't give the girl the disease.
    Who gave it to her then? Satan?
    But they were effectively trying to force God's hand. If God had healed the girl, it would set a precedent and other would be more likely to follow suit. This is trying to force God to suit us when it should be the other way round.
    poor helpless god. it's terrible the way he gets trapped by us mean humans like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

So your saying that the actual object of faith had nothing to do with the healing, a step forward to reality I think.

If your christian praise Jesus or muslim praise Allah for the healing, not because either actually done anything but simply because the people who helped were of that faith.

So, if your child was sick and a Muslims charity group provided money to get a required operation, who would you give the prise to ?

Advertisement