Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's alcohol problems

Options
  • 23-03-2008 3:36am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Lets face it - this country is alcoholic. No matter what way you dress it up we have a big problem. So how do we deal with it? I think its time to get tough tbh. We cannot continue like this because ultimately our country will be destroyed by alcoholism.

You might not think so but look at the youth of today and it makes you fear for the future. People will say I am over reacting - I am not. Our young teenagers are our future and tbh, right now, its a future I would rather not be appart of.

What do you think?

P.S Not saying we are the worst alcos in Europe but tbh we are.........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

darkman2 wrote: »
    ultimately our country will be destroyed by alcoholism.
    What do you mean by "destroyed"?

People have been drinking a long time, and the country is not in ruins, or do you think it is?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

rubadub wrote: »
    and the country is not in ruins, or do you think it is?

Not yet but its coming;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

Brits drink a hell of a lot. And the Americans do also I think. TBH doubt it's that much worse in Ireland.

Affable wrote: »
    Brits drink a hell of a lot. And the Americans do also I think. TBH doubt it's that much worse in Ireland.

OK if it were true - is that an excuse? Drink will destroy their country too as they are finding out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

It's a bit harsh saying "destroyed by alcoholism" our economy up until recently was booming, East Europeans are flocking here.

As for the teenagers, I can comment as a 17 year old, I like the odd few cans with my mates in my mates shed. I often get stopped by Gardai when really they should be going after the hundred of teenagers who are roaming the streets pi*sed drunk causing trouble and damage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

ultimately our country will be destroyed by alcoholism.

Well we seem to have lasted a couple of thousand years, thats reasonable in terms of being a country of alcoholics. It seems to me that the system is working. You know, if its not broke don't fix it. Theres plenty of other civilisations that didn't last this long (....ehh probably). Ce sera sera and all that. Ehhh **** off. Maybe alcohol is the only thing keeping the country goin, ever consider that?.....No, of course you didn't, because that is just stupid. Either way, have a drink will ye? It will all take care of itself in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Well which is it? Either you're saying we're the worst "alcos" in Europe or you're saying we are?

Personally I think the laws in this country regarding alcohol need to be relaxed, not tightened. Cutting down on drinking hours means a lot of people at the end of the night are trying to get as much drink into them as possible before everyone is shoved out the door at the same time. This contributes greatly to post-pub/club violence.

Your post is over-dramatic scaremongering rubbish that is being touted constantly by these anti-drinking lobby groups. But lets face it, the government makes too much cash from drink so there's no chance much changing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

we should legalise weed

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Tbh I think the brits are worse.

Chinafoot, pass us a can there will ya? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,141 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

slipss wrote: »
    Well we seem to have lasted a couple of thousand years, thats reasonable in terms of being a country of alcoholics. It seems to me that the system is working. You know, if its not broke don't fix it. Theres plenty of other civilisations that didn't last this long (....ehh probably). Ce sera sera and all that. Ehhh **** off. Maybe alcohol is the only thing keeping the country goin, ever consider that?.....No, of course you didn't, because that is just stupid. Either way, have a drink will ye? It will all take care of itself in the end.

Eh... who's point are you making here?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Mordeth wrote: »
    we should legalise weed

Here, here.;)

Chinafoot wrote: »
    a lot of people at the end of the night are trying to get as much drink into them as possible

And.....eh........you see nothing deficient about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

And.....eh........you see nothing deficient about that?

Did I suggest that *everyone* does it? I don't believe I did. And I also don't believe that those who do are all scumbag alcoholics either.

YOu will get this kind of behaviour everywhere from some people if a pub is being closed before 2am, not just in Ireland. Personally I believe that there should be 24 hour bars in this country. This last-ditch "must have more" won't happen if there is no restriction on time, and the violence that happens when everyone is herded like cattle outside at the same time won't be an issue either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

OK if it were true - is that an excuse? Drink will destroy their country too as they are finding out now.

huh? America's recession is caused by booze?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

FO tbh we are far from the worst,ireland is in an upward spiral and if you dont think that,well look on the streets,its happening since the "celtic tiger" if you cant accept that then dont. but imho americanism=ireland right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

As someone who drinks a multiple of health professionals' maximum number of units per week, I shouldn't really be agreeing (somewhat) with the, admittedly crazy, OP, but still...

I manage an off-licence and it'd break your heart to see the beautiful young girls coming in three and four nights a week buying one euro beers and vodka and marlborough lights.They're having their time in the sun now but it's all downhill in a couple of years.

I don't want to fall into the usual trap of claiming that this generation is the worst ever and is going straight to hell, but there does seem to be a lot of chaos these days - violence, stupid prices, Godlessness (even though I'm as Godless as anyone)...

Crazy boozing is tolerated too much in this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

as it should be, they can do whatever they want to themselves.

plus, if you think about it.. when they are 35 and ****ed up from their years of hedonism they'll act as a lovely example to their children of why to err on the side of sobriety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

*staggers into thread, punches a few posters, pisses on the floor and passes out in a puddle of his own bloody vomit*

Ok as a barman i see the problem before me every night of the week,does that mean i stop them,i have and what do i get in return,abuse thats what, so in ireland its easier to put up and shut up. Sorry but thats the way it is.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

It may not be as bad as you think. People have said crime is bad in Dublin/Ireland but the stats don't show it to be bad compared to the US and other parts of Europe, for example. It's just that poorer areas of any place will have these problems to some degree inevitably.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

My heart is broken, thinking about those nubile, drunk, young girls stumbling off to house parties in Blackrock and Sandycove, cheap white spirits a-go-go, and me selling them booze instead of plying them with it.

Well you just think about them because there tomorrow is your today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Ok as a barman i see the problem before me every night of the week,does that mean i stop them,i have and what do i get in return,abuse thats what, so in ireland its easier to put up and shut up. Sorry but thats the way it is.....

your a feckin drinkers labourer ffs! its what you do for a living! you sell alcoholic drinks to drinkers! now shut up and put on another pint on for me!
    if ye dont like servin drinks in a pub to p[eople that want to buy drinks, may i suggest a career change!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Ireland's main alcohol problem is the fact that I wasn't allowed to buy any on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

op is talking nonesense imo. idk anyone with an alco problem.

flanum wrote: »
    your a feckin drinkers labourer ffs! its what you do for a living! you sell alcoholic drinks to drinkers! now shut up and put on another pint on for me!
    if ye dont like servin drinks in a pub to p[eople that want to buy drinks, may i suggest a career change!!!

and while your at it get me twenty bensons. oh and somebody **** on the floor in the jacks, clean it up man will ya!

i have alco problems.

running out of cans/mixers etc after closin times... big problem.

running out of fags at silly oclock while talking/typing about alcohol.. problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

rediguana wrote: »
    I don't want to fall into the usual trap of claiming that this generation is the worst ever and is going straight to hell, but there does seem to be a lot of chaos these days - violence, stupid prices, Godlessness (even though I'm as Godless as anyone)...

That's a good thing, tbh. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,141 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I know! And the weather's never bad, the public transport is beyond reproach, we have the best health care system in Western Europe... what are people talking baout?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

Just Curious how would you stop this Porblem?...ban drink? increase the drinking age?....anyone who suggests it will be lynched.....and increasing the drinking age not really going to help

Advertisement