Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does god give every human embryo a soul?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

How so? From start to finish all references pertaining to salvation in the Bible both in the Old and New Testament point to The LORD as either having salvation, bringing salvation, and being salvation. So it would appear that the Bible does in fact actually give a clear path to salvation. So you are wrong there aren't you?
    The Lord isn't a path. Are we supposed to follow the example of the lord, or just believe in him? Because following the example would be salvation through deeds and works, (deeds and works that are impossible to live up to, considering that jesus was apparently without sin)

Jesus never renounced the 10 commandments (and as a Jew, would have held them sacred), but I doubt there are even 1% of Christians who follow those commandments to the letter. (or anywhere close) And I don't think there is any logical justification why someone should even try to follow them 100% (other than fear of punishment).

Honour your father and your mother. What? even if your father is a child molesting alcoholic wife beater?

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbours goods? What you can go to hell for being jealous? Even if your neighbour is an asshole who flaunts his excesses in your face while you're living in poverty? You're supposed to suppress an innate human emotion on penalty of eternal damnation?

Keep the Sabbath holy? Don't work, even if you're a farmer or a nurse or a doctor or a professional footballer? Don't even cook your own meal or milk your own cow? What are you supposed to do every saturday (or sunday) spend all day long feeling holy and thinking about how great god is? (for making you waste 1/7th of your life on pain of eternal damnation?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

So all we need now are your examples to see how worthless these signposts really are.

Q. Should humans strive to become wise?

Ans 1: Yes PRO 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

Ans 2: No ECC 1:18 For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

Ans 3: No For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

Q. Does the sin of the father pass onto the son?

Ans 1: Yes ISA 14:21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities.

Ans 2: No DEU 24:16 The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

Q. Should I abide by the laws of the land?

Ans 1: Yes ROM 2:13 For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

Ans 2: No ROM 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Ans 3: No ACTS 5:29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

Ans 4: No ROM 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

Q. When I do a good deed should I do it in secret or in public?

Ans 1: Public Matt 5:16 "In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."

Ans 2: Secret Matt 6:3-4 "But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secert. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." (NIV)

Q. Should I love my family?

Ans 1: No Luke 14:26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Ans 2: Yes John 3:15 Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.

Q. If I blaspheme against the Holy Spirit can I be forgiven?

Ans 1: No Mark 3:29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation.

Ans 2: Yes John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness

Q. Is it a sin to call someone a fool?

Ans 1: Yes MATT 5:22 ...whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Ans 2: No (because here Jesus called some people fools and Jesus is without sin) MATT 25:2 And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.

Q. Should I plan for the future?

Ans 1: Yes PROV 14:8 The wisdom of the prudent is to understand his way: but the folly of fools is deceit.

Ans 2: No Matt 6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

This is only a small sample of contradictions in the Bible, however it is getting tedious checking up Bible verses online so I will leave it there, but I could go on with plenty more inaccuracies and inconsistent passages.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

This is only a small sample of contradictions in the Bible, however it is getting tedious checking up Bible verses online so I will leave it there, but I could go on with plenty more inaccuracies and inconsistent passages.

Yeah, I could imagine that it is tedious scanning through the Bible for contradictions. You could have saved yourself the trouble and gone to this site which has almost the exact same quotes (including spelling mistakes!) as yourself but under slightly different headings. Funny that!

Anyway, lets nip this in the bud now. Despite your thorough research on the matter *cough*, I suggest that you actually read the entire Chapter relating to each verse before making such claims. This gives the CONTEXT of the verse. Yeah? :)

Ans 1: Public Matt 5:16 "In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."

To use a business term - Jesus is saying that the Disciples should lead by example. It would be contradictory if they were wilfully not living what they preached.
    Ans 2: Secret Matt 6:3-4 "But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secert. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." (NIV)

If you look at verses 1 and 2 everything is put in context. Again with that troublesome word! It's all quite self explanatory, really. Indeed, what Jesus is saying here ties back nicely with Chapter 5 where he says that those with a meek heart are blessed.
    1"Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

2"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full.

3But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

I'm sure you will find a way to rubbish my explanation. I think you are happy in making claims without doing any research. Your position leads you to do this.

Yeah, I could imagine that it is tedious scanning through the Bible for contradictions. You could have saved yourself the trouble and gone to this site which has almost the exact same quotes (including spelling mistakes!) as yourself but under slightly different headings. Funny that!

As it happens I used the similar site http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/donald_morgan/contradictions.html which unfortunately didn't have the relevant quotes, and what I was referring to when I said it was tedious was getting the passages mentioned there from the Bible reference source http://www.biblegateway.com, made especially tedious as I am using Irish Broadband which is unimaginably slow and keeps disconnecting, so much so that the post took over 25 minutes to complete, after alot of perserverance and page refreshing, but thanks for worrying all the same. If you took my original post as implying that I knew the entire Bible verbatim then I apologise profusely as this is most certainly not true.

Edit: It is funny though how one sentence can be percieved so differently, it was intented to be an unimportant close to a long post, but you took it as being an attempt by me to falsely claim Biblical knowledge that the Pope would be proud of. Just goes to show how easy it is to take what you want from vague statements, it kind of supports my original point in a way.

P.S. This editing of this post proved quite tedious also ;).

John is the happiest man I know. I've never known him to be unhappy.
    He was laughing so much
    when I saw him last he was crying and doubled over in pain.
    Just goes to show how easy it is to take what you want from vague statements, it kind of supports my original point in a way.

Indeed. And you provide a marvellous example of how someone can project their prejudice in order for them to twist the meaning of a thing so it will better fit the shape of their claims. The above example is cumbersome, I'll admit, but I see little difference between that and when a verse is wilfully taken out of context. In both cases vital information is omitted in such a way that the truth is distorted.

• Advertisement

Ok, I took the one example you used, the question of whether to do good deeds in public or private, and I read the relevant chapters of Matthew, 5 & 6, and my prejudice must really be blinding me because I still can't see how they are mutually compatible. How can Jesus say in Matt 6 to do good deeds so secretly that your left hand doesn't know what your right hand is doing (and yes, I do know he didn't literally mean this), to pray secretly behind closed doors so no-one knows that you are praying, and to let no one know you are fasting, yet in the very chapter before this he explains that a lamp isn't lit just so it can be put under a bucket.

Now I am no theologian but if I were to read Mattew 5 I would interpret it as telling me to set an example to my neighbours, and to do this by intentionally letting them see my good deeds, by being a shining light for others. If I was then to read Matthew 6 I would read this as telling me that how others see me is not important, the only thing I should be worried about is my relationship with God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Depeche_Mode come on!

Have you not learnt by now there are no contradictions in the Bible. What appear to be contradictions are just misinterpretations.

Its very simple. Anything that you find that appears to all the world to be a blantant contradiction just re-interpret it completely different and bang! No contradiction.

And the great thing about this is that because it is interpretation no one can tell you that you are wrong. If they tell you that you are wrong they are also misinterpreting the passage.

Wicknight wrote: »
    And the great thing about this is that because it is interpretation no one can tell you that you are wrong. If they tell you that you are wrong they are also misinterpreting the passage.

Hmm, so let me get this straight, no-one can tell you that you have it wrong, because you (and the people who agree with you) are the only people who have the correct interpretation and you know this, and anyone else who claims to have the one true interpretation which differs from your actual one true interpretation must, by definition, be lying heretics because it claims that your one true interpretation is not really true which cannot be because you know that it is true because you know what Jesus really meant to say. So you are right and they are wrong, and even though they say the same thing you know that you are really right.

The veil has been lifted. It makes perfect sense.

Hmm, so let me get this straight, no-one can tell you that you have it wrong, because you (and the people who agree with you) are the only people who have the correct interpretation and you know this, and anyone else who claims to have the one true interpretation which differs from your actual one true interpretation must, by definition, be lying heretics because it claims that your one true interpretation is not really true which cannot be because you know that it is true because you know what Jesus really meant to say. So you are right and they are wrong, and even though they say the same thing you know that you are really right.

The veil has been lifted. It makes perfect sense.

Now you are getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Q. Should humans strive to become wise?

Ans 1: Yes PRO 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

Ans 2: No ECC 1:18 For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

Ans 3: No For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

Ans 1 refers to the wisdom of God and His Word......and Ans 2 & 3 refer to the wisdom of Men!!!:D

Q. Does the sin of the father pass onto the son?

Ans 1: Yes ISA 14:21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities.

Ans 2: No DEU 24:16 The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

Ans 1 refers to workers of iniquity.....and Ans 2 refers to people who behave virtuously. !!!:D

Q. Should I abide by the laws of the land?

Ans 1: Yes ROM 2:13 For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

Ans 2: No ROM 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Ans 3: No ACTS 5:29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

Ans 4: No ROM 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

Ans 1 states that unsaved people believe that they will be judged under the Law according to their deeds…..and so they will.!!!:D

Ans 2 states that the Law can only condemn....and is there to expose sin…..so the very law that the unsaved believe will save them….actually condemns them because of their sin.!!!:D

Ans 4 asks Christians to obey the Civil Law…..unless (as in Ans 3) any of the laws are in conflict with the Law of God.!!!:D

Ans 2: Secret Matt 6:3-4 "But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." (NIV)

Ans 1 Christians should be an example of TRULY virtuous living…….but….
    Ans 2 Christians shouldn’t make an outward show of their sacrifices……like hypocrites do.
    Q. Should I love my family?

Ans 1: No Luke 14:26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Ans 2: Yes John 3:15 Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.

Ans 1 Christians should count nothing (even close family members) as more important than being saved and serving Jesus.
    Ans 2 A person can sin in both his thoughts and his actions.
    Q. If I blaspheme against the Holy Spirit can I be forgiven?

Ans 1: No Mark 3:29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation.

Ans 2: Yes John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness

All sin between men will be forgiven (Ans 2)…..but direct wilful blasphemy against God will never be forgiven (Ans 1).
    Q. Is it a sin to call someone a fool?

Ans 1: Yes MATT 5:22 ...whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Ans 2: No (because here Jesus called some people fools and Jesus is without sin) MATT 25:2 And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.

It is sinful to gratuitously and unfoundedly insult somebody (Ans 1)……..but the use of a parable isn’t sinful (Ans 2).

Q. Should I plan for the future?

Ans 1: Yes PROV 14:8 The wisdom of the prudent is to understand his way: but the folly of fools is deceit.

Ans 2: No Matt 6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

It is wise to honestly assess your current state (Ans 1)…..but worrying about the future is a waste of time (Ans 2). !!!:D
    ....good advice for anybody with significant money invested in the Stock Market at present!!!:D

• Advertisement

A very knowledgable post there, isn't it a pity that, through your first interpretation, your wisdom will see you destroyed by God Almighty and has no doubt brought you much grief and sorrow :D.

-As for the explanation about setting an example by living viruously by being a shining light to your community whilst also not letting people know about it, could you give an everyday example of how this could be done. It seems paradoxical to me.

-As for the "All sin between men will be forgiven" explanation, that's all well and good, except for one tiny problem: You are putting words in Jesus' mouth. He doesn't say this applies only to sins between men, he say he will purify us from ALL unrighteousness. All = 100%.

-With the fools quote, yes it was only a parable, but Jesus wasn't setting a very good example there now was he? One minute he says it is a terrible sin to call someone stupid, then he goes and describes people in his story as being stupid. I mean come on...

-As for Jesus saying that worrying about the future is a waste of time, well, it is so stupid I don't think I need to waste time criticising it.

- But I have saved my favorite until last. Where you say that we should be most concerned about salvation and serving Jesus as being the most important thing, again you put words into Jesus' mouth. If this is what he meant why not say this? Why does he mention hate? Surely you can still love your family and be concerned about getting into Heaven?

I want to stick with this for a second. Let us assume that this message that Jesus gave is moral and good:

"If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple."

then presumably the exact opposite is immoral and evil:

"If any man come to me, and loves not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple."

Please justify how the second statement, which is the exact opposite of the first is immoral. I would bet that if you showed the two quotes to a group of Christians who didn't know which was authentic I am certain that virtually all would say the second one, about loving your family, is the real quote. Little would they know that Jesus said the complete reverse of this.

Please justify how the second statement, which is the exact opposite of the first is immoral. I would bet that if you showed the two quotes to a group of Christians who didn't know which was authentic I am certain that virtually all would say the second one, about loving your family, is the real quote. Little would they know that Jesus said the complete reverse of this.

I just did a little test, I texted the second quote to a Christian friend of mine who replied that it is a lovely message and how I can give out about Jesus when he says stuff like that. I informed him that Jesus said the exact opposite, he doesn't believe me.

Ok, I took the one example you used, the question of whether to do good deeds in public or private, and I read the relevant chapters of Matthew, 5 & 6, and my prejudice must really be blinding me because I still can't see how they are mutually compatible. How can Jesus say in Matt 6 to do good deeds so secretly that your left hand doesn't know what your right hand is doing (and yes, I do know he didn't literally mean this), to pray secretly behind closed doors so no-one knows that you are praying, and to let no one know you are fasting, yet in the very chapter before this he explains that a lamp isn't lit just so it can be put under a bucket.

Now I am no theologian but if I were to read Mattew 5 I would interpret it as telling me to set an example to my neighbours, and to do this by intentionally letting them see my good deeds, by being a shining light for others. If I was then to read Matthew 6 I would read this as telling me that how others see me is not important, the only thing I should be worried about is my relationship with God.

A fair enough point - one made all the more credible because you took the effort to research what you are arguing. Now I may be repeating myself here, but there is a marked difference between the verses in question. In short, it the motivation for good deeds that Jesus distinguishes between.

Chapter 5 - the message is to do good deeds, but only as an example towards others as the 'right' thing to do as a Christian. This is illustrated by Jesus using the image of a guiding light or a city on top of a hill.

Chapter 6 - Jesus warns against doing good deeds in the hope of garnering praise. The good deed is only secondary to the main motivation of getting a pat on the back from your peers.

In my mind this is the difference between somebody going about their good deeds in a quiet manner, and another person making a grand display for all to see when they ostentatiously whip out their check book at a charity gig for the endangered Mountain Vole. I'm sure you can think of examples of people you have encountered in your life that would fit into either of these categories.

If you are interested there is a brief expansion on what I've mentioned here

In my mind this is the difference between somebody going about their good deeds in a quiet manner, and another person making a grand display for all to see when they ostentatiously whip out their check book at a charity gig for the endangered Mountain Vole. I'm sure you can think of examples of people you have encountered in your life that would fit into either of these categories.

The problem is that Jesus specifically says "in secret", rather than quietly or without fanfare.

Matt 6:4
    so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

According to Matt 6 no one should see your good deeds, your "acts of righteousness" You are specifically supposed to do them so only God, who sees all, can observe them, no one else. You are also supposed to pray alone in your room so only God can see you.

That directly contradicts

Matt 5:16
    In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

On the one hand your good deeds are supposed to be hidden from everyone, so only God himself sees them. On the other hand your good deeds are supposed to be inspiration for those around you, a testament to God.

Like it or not that is a contradiction.

This could all be cleared up with an example being given of how someone can do deeds which set a good example to their community, but do so secretly. We will ignore the situation where someone makes a big deal about their charity giving, nobody likes people who do that and we can take that as given.

Could we take an example of a person giving money to help famine sufferers. The person can either (a) set up a Direct Debit on the internet to give to the charity or (b) attend a church sponsered fund-raising event and donate there. Which would be the action advocated by Jesus? The first option is done entirely in secret, but is not setting a good example because their community will never know about it, is this not like the lighting of a lamp and putting it under a bucket? The second option seems to me to be the one that fits closest with Jesus' teaching, you won't personally be seen as showing off too much because you are one of many and as a group you set an example, however it isn't secret.

Neither seem to fit perfectly with Jesus' sayings, the second seems to be closest, but saying that it also feels to me to be the wrong option. I myself would prefer to take option (a).

J C wrote: »
    Ans 1 refers to the wisdom of God and His Word......and Ans 2 & 3 refer to the wisdom of Men!!!:D
    Is it not a little dsconserting to you that your god commands people not to pursue wisdom?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Depeche_Mode come on!

Have you not learnt by now there are no contradictions in the Bible. What appear to be contradictions are just misinterpretations.

Its very simple. Anything that you find that appears to all the world to be a blantant contradiction just re-interpret it completely different and bang! No contradiction.

Don't forget metaphors...that's the ultimate Chrsitian get out of jail card.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Akrasia wrote: »
    Is it not a little dsconserting to you that your god
    commands people not to pursue wisdom?
    Presumably not, to judge from JC's boisterous observance of this particular commandment...

robindch wrote: »
    Presumably not, to judge from JC's boisterous observance of this particular commandment...

Zing! :p

The problem is that Jesus specifically says "in secret", rather than quietly or without fanfare.

Matt 6:4
    so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

According to Matt 6 no one should see your good deeds, your "acts of righteousness" You are specifically supposed to do them so only God, who sees all, can observe them, no one else. You are also supposed to pray alone in your room so only God can see you.

That directly contradicts

Matt 5:16
    In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

On the one hand your good deeds are supposed to be hidden from everyone, so only God himself sees them. On the other hand your good deeds are supposed to be inspiration for those around you, a testament to God.

Like it or not that is a contradiction.

It would be a fair point if both verses equated good deeds only with giving money to those less fortunate or going to the synagogue. This isn't the case, however.

Chapter 6 specifically warns against making a public display when giving out money. Even as a non-Christian I would imagine that you could see the sense in this. After all would you not find it distasteful if somebody was to suddenly volunteer to you how much they donate every month to Goal and Concern? In fact, I believe that it was not unheard of for rich people to arrange for trumpets to be blown before they handed out money. Jesus wasn't speaking figuratively then! Now, one could argue that this was simply a matter of practicality - something to better facilitate their charitable acts. But others, myself included, would argue that their motivation for this exhibitionism was something considerably more selfish. As a parallel I would look towards big corporations and their 'Corporate Giving Departments'. Even though their charity does good work, I don't for one moment believe that this is anything but a PR exercise on their part. Similarly, a warning is given against praying in public to be seen to do it. A warning that is better understood in the context of the time and culture where the synagogue was a hub to the community.

Both examples are used as a warning by Jesus against doing acts of righteousness for a persons own gain. It is not the acts that are questioned, rather the motivation for doing them them and consequently the manner in how they are done.

The opening verse says it all, really.
    "Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them."

I wonder what the significance of the quotation marks are here. Could it be that Jesus was suggesting that these weren't truly righteous acts after all? MAybe someone could answer that for me?

Chapter 5 doesn't mention any specific acts of righteousness. Unlike the later chapter these verses talk about setting a good example for others to see through your actions. By extension this example will be a testament to God's goodness. To borrow form the link I provided - it's for the benefit of those looking in (as much as anyone else).
    "In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven"

• Advertisement

I wonder what the significance of the quotation marks are here. Could it be that Jesus was suggesting that these weren't truly righteous acts after all? MAybe someone could answer that for me?

I would say that they are of no significance because I don't believe that quotation marks existed in ancient Aramaic or Greek when the original phrase was written down, I would guess that the quotation marks were added much later by translators.

Possibly. But I would think it highly unlikely that these languages didn't have some punctuation method to distinguish when a person is being directly quoted.

PDN may be able to clear this up.

Chapter 6 specifically warns against making a public display when giving out money. Even as a non-Christian I would imagine that you could see the sense in this.

I had a feeling you would say that :)

But if you read the passage carefully you will see that it isn't simply giving of charity that Jesus says should be done in secret.

Matt 6
    1 "Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven."

Jesus then uses the example of giving to the needy to highlight his point

Matt 6
    2 "So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full."

But Matt 6.2 is simply an example of the general instruction found in Matt 6.1, and that instruction includes all good deeds.

Possibly. But I would think it highly unlikely that these languages didn't have some punctuation method to distinguish when a person is being directly quoted.

PDN may be able to clear this up.

The "acts of righteousness" were Jewish traditions that demonstrated to God that a Jew was righteous. This includes prayer, fasting, giving etc.

Ignoring the skeptics questions of why God would need physical demonstrations of this, in Matt 6 Jesus is saying that these acts are to be shown to God alone, and it is only God's opinion that matters and a true righteous person shouldn't publicly demonstrate these acts.

Which is a good idea.

But of course it runs into trouble with Matt 5, when Jesus says that through good deeds a person should demonstrate to others the glory of God

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

When Jesus says we are to let our 'good works' shine before men (Matthew 5:16), He is using the common words that apply to everyday acts - kala erga.

However, in Matthew 6:1 the term translated as 'righteous acts' is literally 'the righteousnesses' - dikaiosunen. Jews used this term in a specific sense to refer to almsgiving as religiously mandated actions, therefore some translations translate it as 'alms' while others put 'acts of righteousness' in inverted commas to indicate that it is a technical term. For more on this phrase see http://bibletools.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/Def.show/RTD/isbe/ID/412/Alms-Almsgiving.htm or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alms

The point is, I think, that our religious observances should be motivated by love for God and not in order to show people how holy we are. However, our general lifestyle should be such that it will lead those who know us to glorify God, not to bring shame or disgrace to His name. That would certainly be consistent with other teaching elsewhere in the New Testament.

That's my 2 cents worth. Any way, I'm in Moscow at the moment & this Russian keyboard is driving me crazy. So that's enough posting from me for one night.

Is it not a little dsconserting to you that your god commands people not to pursue wisdom?

Pursuing the Wisdom of God present no problems......it is the pursuit of the vain imaginings of Men......that causes problems for both God and Man!!!!:eek:

Pursuing the Wisdom of God present no problems......it is the pursuit of the vain imaginings of Men......that causes problems for both God and Man!!!!:eek:

vain imaginings of man?

Like astronomy, agriculture, engineering, mathematics, logic?

I can see how logic does cause a problem for god, but didn't 'the baby Jesus' get a visit from 3 'wise men'? Astronomers who were apparently guided by a star?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

but didn't 'the baby Jesus' get a visit from 3 'wise men'?
    He was visited by wise men, but we are not told how many of them there were.

Originally Posted by J C
    Pursuing the Wisdom of God present no problems......it is the pursuit of the vain imaginings of Men......that causes problems for both God and Man!!!!

vain imaginings of man?

Like astronomy, agriculture, engineering, mathematics, logic?

I can see how logic does cause a problem for god, but didn't 'the baby Jesus' get a visit from 3 'wise men'? Astronomers who were apparently guided by a star?

You are confusing the important distinction between wisdom and knowledge.

.......astronomy, agriculture, engineering, mathematics.....are knowledge (which can be discerned by Man)......while true wisdom ONLY comes from God.....

......and ditto for the 'Wise Men'......who saw HIS star in the East .....and came to adore HIM!!!!!:D:)

.....wouldn't it be great, if some of the Evolutionists on this thread followed their 'wise' example and believed on Jesus Christ ....as well!!:D

• Advertisement

......and ditto for the 'Wise Men'......who saw HIS star in the East .....and came to adore HIM!!!!!:D:)

.....wouldn't it be great, if some of the Evolutionists on this thread followed their 'wise' example and believed on Jesus Christ ....as well!!:D

Actually the "Wise Men" or Magi were Persian Zoroastrian priests who believed in and followed the teachings of Zarathustra, they certainly didn't believe in Jesus Christ.

Advertisement