Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pope Benedict to declare war on the Devil.

Options
  • 29-12-2007 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Just reading an article in todays Irish Independant about the Pope's concern on the occult and that he has vowed to "fight the Devil head on" by training hundreds of priests as exorcists. He is particuraly concerned that young people are being exposed to the influence of Satanism through the media, rock music and the Internet. I would agree with him totally on this one.

However it goes on to say that Pope Benedict XVI wanted to reinstate the use of the prayer said to St Michael the Archangel, believed to be the prime protector against evil. I see no reference to any of this at all in scripture. I believe that the Bible states that Christ is the only protector against evil and that there is only one way to cast out devils and that is through the "name of Jesus" and not through intercession with any saints. "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils". Mark 16 vs 17

Similar article: [url]://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=504969&in_page_id=1811[/url]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I believe that Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, and Uriel are all real though. However it is Jesus who is the high priest of Christianity and if anyone has the authority to drive out demons it is him, if you look at the Gospel narratives.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

He is particuraly concerned that young people are being exposed to the influence of Satanism through the media, rock music and the Internet. I would agree with him totally on this one.

please elaborate? Isnt Run to the Hills an iron maiden song?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭SubjectSean

Looks like the Catholics have an eye on the whole lucrative 'child-witch' phenomenon in Africa, up to now they've certainly been lagging behind their Protestant brethren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

faceman wrote: »
    please elaborate? Isnt Run to the Hills an iron maiden song?
    Yes it is and came from the number of the beast album that was released in 1982. I am a DJ and would probably have album that Iron Maiden ever produced from my past however now I am very selective on what music I would play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.traditioninaction.org/religious/b009rpMichael.htm
    One day, after celebrating Mass, the aged Pope Leo XIII was in conference with the Cardinals when suddenly he sank to the floor in a deep swoon. Physicians who hastened to his side could find no trace of his pulse and feared that he had expired. However, after a short interval the Holy Father regained consciousness and exclaimed with great emotion: "Oh, what a horrible picture I have been permitted to see!"

He had been shown a vision of evil spirits who had been released from Hell and their efforts to destroy the Church. But in the midst of the horror the archangel St. Michael appeared and cast Satan and his legions into the abyss of hell. Soon afterwards Pope Leo XIII composed the following prayer to Saint Michael, which is the original version:
    Original - Prayer to St. Michael

Long version

"Oh Glorious Prince of the heavenly host, St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in the battle and in the terrible warfare that we are waging against the principalities and powers, against the rulers of this world of darkness, against the evil spirits. Come to the aid of man, whom Almighty God created immortal, made in His own image and likeness, and redeemed at a great price from the tyranny of Satan.

“Fight this day the battle of the Lord, together with the holy angels, as already thou hast fought the leader of the proud angels, Lucifer, and his apostate host, who were powerless to resist thee, nor was there place for them any longer in Heaven. That cruel, ancient serpent, who is called the devil or Satan who seduces the whole world, was cast into the abyss with his angels. Behold, this primeval enemy and slayer of men has taken courage. Transformed into an angel of light, he wanders about with all the multitude of wicked spirits, invading the earth in order to blot out the name of God and of His Christ, to seize upon, slay and cast into eternal perdition souls destined for the crown of eternal glory. This wicked dragon pours out, as a most impure flood, the venom of his malice on men of depraved mind and corrupt heart, the spirit of lying, of impiety, of blasphemy, and the pestilent breath of impurity, and of every vice and iniquity.

“These most crafty enemies have filled and inebriated with gall and bitterness the Church, the spouse of the immaculate Lamb, and have laid impious hands on her most sacred possessions. In the Holy Place itself, where the See of Holy Peter and the Chair of Truth has been set up as the light of the world, they have raised the throne of their abominable impiety, with the iniquitous design that when the Pastor has been struck, the sheep may be.

“Arise then, O invincible Prince, bring help against the attacks of the lost spirits to the people of God, and give them the victory. They venerate thee as their protector and patron; in thee holy Church glories as her defense against the malicious power of hell; to thee has God entrusted the souls of men to be established in heavenly beatitude. Oh, pray to the God of peace that He may put Satan under our feet, so far conquered that he may no longer be able to hold men in captivity and harm the Church. Offer our prayers in the sight of the Most High, so that they may quickly find mercy in the sight of the Lord; and vanquishing the dragon, the ancient serpent, who is the devil and Satan, do thou again make him captive in the abyss, that he may no longer seduce the nations. Amen.

V. Behold the Cross of the Lord; be scattered ye hostile powers.
    R. The Lion of the tribe of Judah has conquered the root of David.
    V. Let Thy mercies be upon us, O Lord.
    R. As we have hoped in Thee.
    V. O Lord, hear my prayer.
    R. And let my cry come unto Thee.

Let us pray.

O God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, we call upon Thy holy Name, and as supplicants, we implore Thy clemency, that by the intercession of Mary, ever Virgin Immaculate and our Mother, and of the glorious St. Michael the Archangel, Thou wouldst deign to help us against Satan and all the other unclean spirits who wander about the world for the injury of the human race and the ruin of souls. Amen.”

Short verision.
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle, be our protection against the malice and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen.

What I find amusing is some of the occultist he is getting riled up about use the Archangels too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Yes it is and came from the number of the beast album that was released in 1982. I am a DJ and would probably have album that Iron Maiden ever produced from my past however now I am very selective on what music I would play.

Sorry i meant to please elaborate on this comment:
    wrote:
    He is particuraly concerned that young people are being exposed to the influence of Satanism through the media, rock music and the Internet. I would agree with him totally on this one

My comment about your username was a tongue in cheek jibe at the irony of your post. No offence intended :)

faceman wrote: »
    Sorry i meant to please elaborate on this comment:My comment about your username was a tongue in cheek jibe at the irony of your post. No offence intended :)
    RTTH would have be one of my favourite tracks from maiden, along with the "Number of the Beast". This track has been used on several appropriate utube videos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wszslxt9NLM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yZrn2xPdTg
    I believe the track was written about the satanist Aleister Crowley, who has been an idol for Bruce Dickensons for many years. (And also an idiol for many other rock stars including Jimmy Page who owned the Boleskine House, Crowleys former residence, Page also has the largest private collection of Crowleys writings.) I also heard rumours that Maiden are to produce a movie about Crowley, should be interesting, I can guess the title track.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

When it comes to Iron Maiden I hope you would be selective ;)

When it comes to Iron Maiden I hope you would be selective ;)
    Theres not many to choose from, ie "Run to the Hills" (about the plundering of the native Indians). Aces High (About ww2fighter pilots) and a few others, I was hoping that Nicko McBrain's concersion to Christianity might influence the group to write a follow up to the Number of the Beast. :)http://www.godscare.net/witness/Iron%20Maiden.htm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Daily Mail wrote:
    Each bishop is to be told to have in his diocese a number of priests trained to fight demonic possession...
    Or "mental illness" as much of the world learned to call it many years ago.

I can't work out whether this (alleged) news surprises me or not and I can't feel anything but sadness for the future's ill who'll be treated by spraying them with clouds of water, Latin and holy smoke.

I wonder who amongst the world's catholics will be brave enough to tell Ratzinger that he's wrong and that this kind of support for institutional ignorance comes as close to "evil" as I'll ever use that word. And will Ratzinger pay any attention?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

In other news, Vatican scientists have announced that the devil is not the greatest threat to salvation due to the recent discovery of the Super Devil. The Super Devil is at least six inches taller than the Devil, rides a flying motorcycle, and carries a jar of marmalade which is believed to force one to commit adultery.

No seriously, who on earth would these priests exorcise? I'd have a serious issue with a priest preventing someone being treated for epilepsy or any other real diesase, physical or mental, because they think that they're possessed by evil spirits...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

However it goes on to say that Pope Benedict XVI wanted to reinstate the use of the prayer said to St Michael the Archangel, believed to be the prime protector against evil. I see no reference to any of this at all in scripture. I believe that the Bible states that Christ is the only protector against evil and that there is only one way to cast out devils and that is through the "name of Jesus" and not through intercession with any saints. "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils". Mark 16 vs 17.
    Hello RTDH, Happy Christmas and new year to you!

Have you read Revelation Ch. 12?
    7 And there was a great battle in heaven, Michael and his angels fought with the dragon, and the dragon fought and his angels: 8 And they prevailed not, neither was their place found any more in heaven. 9 And that great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, who seduceth the whole world; and he was cast unto the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.

God bless,
    Noel.

No seriously, who on earth would these priests exorcise? I'd have a serious issue with a priest preventing someone being treated for epilepsy or any other real diesase, physical or mental, because they think that they're possessed by evil spirits...

IMO this evangelical nutting squad is aimed squarely at the Popes hugely uneducated audience in the third world. They have demons in droves and very few doctors there anyway so wheres the harm? :rolleyes:

kelly1 wrote: »
    Hello RTDH, Happy Christmas and new year to you!
    Happy new year to you Noel. :)
    kelly1 wrote: »
    Have you read Revelation Ch. 12? Have you read Revelation Ch. 12?
    Yes and I believe Revelation 12, ie the great tribulation is very close. We are told that Christ is our only mediator between God and man. "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus" 1 Timothy 2vs5, I still see no reference in Revelation ch 12 for us to mediate trough Michael the Archangle for starters he is not omnipresent like Christ, he cannot be in all places at the one time, he is also not omnipotent like Christ, ie unlimited power. If we were to pray to him this would surely contradict 1 Timothy 2vs5.Christ came to earth and died on the cross to save our souls and destroy the work of the devil not Michael the Archangle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

kelly1: That verse says that Michael and the archangels will throw Satan out of heaven and onto the earth. That is fair enough. I however believe that through Christ is the only way that we can cleanse him of the earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

No seriously, who on earth would these priests exorcise?

All non-Catholics obviously.

For it is they who have fallen to the temptation of Satan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Sean_K wrote: »
    And what makes you say that, for starters hasn't the Pope had audiences among other non-catholic not to mention non-Christian leaders (Dalai Lama for example) in the Vatican. Do you assume he performed an exorcism upon them :rolleyes:

Chip meet shoulder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Halfdog

Sean_K wrote: »

For it is they who have fallen to the temptation of Satan.
    How could one identify a Catholic from a non Catholic that is possessed by the devil? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Halfdog wrote: »
    How could one identify a Catholic from a non Catholic that is possessed by the devil? :confused:

Their eyes are closer together. ;)

Only kidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

PDN wrote: »
    Their eyes are closer together. ;)

Only kidding.

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Halfdog wrote: »

One will float in water.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Jumpy wrote: »
    One will float in water.
    indeed, as the Book of Python clearly shows:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Theres not many to choose from, ie "Run to the Hills" (about the plundering of the native Indians). Aces High (About ww2fighter pilots) and a few others, I was hoping that Nicko McBrain's concersion to Christianity might influence the group to write a follow up to the Number of the Beast. :)http://www.godscare.net/witness/Iron%20Maiden.htm

I'm sorry to go back OT here but I would just like to reply to an earlier post.

Would you not agree that "For The Greater Good Of God" might be considered a "Christian" song? Maybe Nicko had some influence here.
    For The Greater Good Of God

Are you a man of peace
    Or man of holy war
    Too many sides to you
    Don't know which any more
    So many full of life
    But also filled with pain
    Don't know just how many
    Will live to breathe again

A life that's made to breath
    Destruction or defense
    A mind that's vain corruption
    Bad or good intent
    A wolf in a sheep's clothing
    Or saintly or sinner
    Or someone that would believe
    A holy war winner

They fire off many shots
    And many parting blows
    Their actions beyond a reasoning
    Only god would know
    And as he lies in heaven
    Or it could be in hell
    I feel he's somewhere here
    Or looking from below
    But I don't know, I don't know

Please tell me now what life is
    Please tell me now what love is
    Well tell me now what war is
    Again tell me what life is

More pain and misery in the history of mankind
    Sometimes it seems more like the blind leading the blind
    It brings upon us more of famine death and war
    You know religion has a lot to answer for

And as they search to find the bodies in the sand
    They find it's ashes that are scattered across the land
    And as their spirits seem to whistle on the wind
    A shot is fired somewhere another war begins

And all because of it you'd think that we would learn
    But still the body count the city fires burn
    Somewhere there's someone dying in a foreign land
    Meanwhile the world is crying stupidity of man
    Tell me why, tell me why

For the greater good of God [x8]

For the greater good of God [x8]

He gave his life for us he fell upon the cross
    To die for all of those who never mourn his loss
    It wasn't meant for us to fell the pain again
    Tell me why, tell me why

deman wrote: »
    I'm sorry to go back OT here but I would just like to reply to an earlier post.

Would you not agree that "For The Greater Good Of God" might be considered a "Christian" song? Maybe Nicko had some influence here.
    For The Greater Good Of God

I would have considered myself a purist when It came to Iron Maiden and Metallica, I only played their old stuff, this song seems quiet recent and would not be familiar with it. I would not consider it a Christian song at all, a Christian song is a song that would offer praise and worship to Christ. There are hundreds and thousands of musicians that have jumped on the "Christian band wagon" (Excuse the Pun!) and have composed songs containing "Bible words, names and phrases" and marketed them as "Christian". to cash in on the christian community. Many of these groups are only interested in worldly gain and have little got to do with God.

I was very surprised to even to hear "Stairway to Heaven" played in a Catholic Church in South Co Dublin number of years ago as a request at a wedding, I am not knocking the Catholic Church at all because this song is probably one of the most deceiving songs ever written, it sound like as if its "Christian friendly" but infact it is one of Led Zeppelines most demonic tracks ever written. Im sure that if the priest only knew what this song was about he would not have allowed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Led Zeppelines most demonic tracks ever written.

oh wow :rolleyes:

nerin wrote: »
    oh wow :rolleyes:

Nerin you clearly haven't played it backwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Im sure that if the priest only knew what this song was about he would not have allowed it.

Ok then I'll bite, what's it about?

You're just going to embarrass yourself if you start going on about back masking btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

This is the most exciting declaration since the War on 'Terror'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

yeah,like theres not enough stuff to worry about.
    best thing to do to distract people when things arent going well = start a war
    pope jp was just as bad as benny,but he was more nice bout it.
    its like bill clinton and bush,bill would mess you around,bu t make you like it,whereas bush (and benny) just rub it in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

I think the protection of Michael comes from various OT stories and from various miracles in the early church etc.

Michael was often the advocate for Isreal when God was angry and her protector. In the early church he was the patron saint of the sick and the he leads souls to heaven.

Ive never been to an exorcism but is nt Scripture recited and doing things with "the authority of Christ".

Every Bishop has an excorist who is only known to him, i have heard and an excorcism is nt performed until there is a medical exam, normally.

Advertisement