Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just Seen My Old Car for Sale - with lower mileage

Options
  • 21-12-2007 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

I've just seen my last car for sale (I handed it back to a leasing company), and it's now up for sale with a lower mileage than when I handed it back.

I had been the only driver since new and handed it back in Oct when it had done around 120,000 km, it's now up for sale on the web and it's only done
    a little more than 90k.....

funny that isn't it....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭GBX

wheres it on sale? name and shame

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

They obviously drove it around in reverse for a while. No problem with that IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Not going to name and shame I'm afraid, but as I still have a pile of petrol receipts for it that show both the reg and the correct mileage (it was always company policy to record them) I'm thinking of either confronting the garage or else passing them onto the 'authorities'.

I mean, they've clocked it by almost 30k km !!! That's just taking the piss in my book.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If they are SIMI registered then go to SIMI about the situation.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    If they are SIMI registered then go to SIMI about the situation.

Done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

You should aproach them as a potential buyer, produce the evidence and rub their noses in it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Redjeep! wrote: »
    Not going to name and shame I'm afraid, but as I still have a pile of petrol receipts for it that show both the reg and the correct mileage (it was always company policy to record them) I'm thinking of either confronting the garage or else passing them onto the 'authorities'.

I mean, they've clocked it by almost 30k km !!! That's just taking the piss in my book.
    Then go and do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

I had been the only driver since new and handed it back in Oct when it had done around 120,000 km, it's now up for sale on the web and it's only done
    a little more than 90k.....

Could it be possible that the '90k' is in Miles rather than Km? You know to make it sound better for a potential buyer? 90k Mls is about 144/145k in Kms? Its just u dont say that the 90k is in kms? So u may wanna just check that out before going in guns blazing. But if there saying that is 90k in kms then go to wherever is the highest place to go and get them done for it. One should be able to buy a car from a dealer in good faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭fletch

How long ago is it since you sold the car to them? 120,000km is 74,000miles, is it possible that the car could have covered 16,000miles in that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

Good point by HJL!!

Make sure you have the facts straight. Also, a lot of motor dealers will advertise a car at slightly less mileage than is actually on the vehicle (usually no more than 1,000) or round it off.
    But I'd check that it's miles not kilometres first!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Shouldn't it be Kilometers though?
    That's what all the kids are into these days...

The car is advertised as both 90,000 km or 55,000 miles so it can't be a simple mistake like that.

The odometer is in km and it was around 118,000 km when I gave the car back in October and now it's described on the web as 90,000 km (55,000miles).

I've emailed SIMI, if they don't get back to me then I may just go and check it out myself and point it out to the dealer.

Just called SIMI.

To say that they were uninterested would have been an overstatement. They suggested that I may want to call the Director of Consumer Affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

SIMI looks after it's own, I'm sure they love their membership fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭green123

ring the gardai
    somebody has clocked this car
    somebody should be done for this

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

From www.nca.ie
    The Acting Chief Executive of the NCA called on consumers to contact them on 1890 432 432 or through their website www.consumerconnect.ie if they have evidence of car dealers misleading the public regarding a car's history.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Not going to name and shame I'm afraid
    Why on Earth not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Anan1 wrote: »
    Why on Earth not?
    Thinking the exact same myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Nane and shame.
    Call consumer rights.
    Call Gardai.
    Call everyone you know.
    Call the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Link to the website?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Name and shame

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

Did you go into dealer and see the milage on the clock yourself?
    Verify that the car is actually "clocked" rather than advertised incorrectly which could be fobbed off as a clerical error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

If this is true it's quite serious.
    I don't see what the problem is by posting a link to the car or whatever. Remember, nobody is suggesting the current seller is guilty of anything but someone, from the time you sold it til now, has interefered with it.

'Name & shame' is dangerous, the OP cannot prove the garage did anything.

But if you're gonna bother starting a whole thread about it, at least back it up with a link to CBG etc. and let people make up their own minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

name and shame, absolutely.

What if some poor sod ends up here, after buying your (ex-)car....? Not fair, that.

post an url to the ad.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

2qk4u wrote: »
    Nane and shame.
    Call consumer rights.
    Call Gardai.
    Call everyone you know.
    Call the papers.

Dont forget Joe Duffy, he would love a bit of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,032 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Not going to name and shame I'm afraid

Any chance you can scan the latest receipt? If so I've no problem with you showing that receipt here and linking to the car ad if that shows both the reg and the mileage as well

It's not the first time by the way that a company has closed because their clocking was exposed here on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Cmmmmonnnnn.

Seriously though naming and shaming right now could save someone here a lot of hassle and money. Due process takes time and producing that receipt and a link could help right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

A lot of people here are dying for you to name the dealer. However you have to validate that the car has definately being clocked first. Seeing the ad on the web is not good enough. Go to the dealership, look into the car and check the milage reading. If that does not concur ask the dealer if they can explain the difference. If they fob you off only then should alert people to the skullduggery that you have discovered.
    Who might be responsible for the incorrect milage would then have to be determined. The consumer affairs would probably be the right people to approach first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Tell us the dealer op, don't be a cock!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Dermo123 wrote: »
    A lot of people here are dying for you to name the dealer. However you have to validate that the car has definately being clocked first.

Rubbish. It is not up to the OP or any of us to prove if the car has been clocked or who by.

He is simply stating that a car he sold previously at 118,000km is being advertised on the internet at 90,000km.

He says he has documentation showing the mileage and the link to the ad says something different.

Advertisement