Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old/ classic adverts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

that was a coke ad.

best ad's ever were the old ertl ads
    jibba-jabba FROM ERTLE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Christmas ads, starting early I know. The cornflake one where the little girls waiting up for Santa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

what was the story with the kia ora ad
    really strange

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFXbdg02G_s&NR

yet funny
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

That little girl in the Corn Flakes ad must cringe when she sees that now. I wonder what she looks like now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Sally O'Brien, and the way she might look at you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Flukey wrote:
    That little girl in the Corn Flakes ad must cringe when she sees that now. I wonder what she looks like now?
    I don't know about her, but I strongly suspect that the girl from the girl from the Calvita ad is now doing the weather on RTE-
    http://www.thetvroom.com/p-rte-one-weather-now-a.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

Ohhhhhh, Ohhhhhh, Vitalite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

swingking wrote:
    what was the story with the kia ora ad
    really strange

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFXbdg02G_s&NR

yet funny
    :D
    True. Kind of African and Tropical theme to that, and others for Kia Ora.

But....Kia Ora is New Zealand Maori for 'Welcome'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

seansouth wrote:
    True. Kind of African and Tropical theme to that, and others for Kia Ora.

But....Kia Ora is New Zealand Maori for 'Welcome'.

cant help feeling it wouldnt get on telly now! waaaaay to policitally incorrect. wouldnt read too much into the name though, the retail sectors full of those types of coincidences. nescafe for instance means "****" in spanish (or moroccan one or the other:D )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Anyone remember the old Yoplait ad with the yoghurt pots and spoons dancing to a piece of classical music "In the Hall of the Mountain King" ?

Or the McCain Microchips ad "3 minutes flat, their on your plate, quickity quick! Microchips!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 squaredog

The Trebor softmints ad, "ohhhh, mr sooooft, won't you tell me why the world in which you're living is soooo straaaange". Loved that ad!

Anyone remember that KitKat ad where the Devil and an angel come out of an elevator to 'take a break'.....
    Hope someone can find a link. Probably the first ad i remember...

Yep, remember that one alright. Will root around and see if I can locate it. :)

:eek: Compilation of ads from 1982. Tasty, tasty, very very tasty. Their very TASTY! :)

Ariston, and on and on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Some of the Safety ads. See if any of these spark a memory:

Fire safety in the home
    "Tom, did you put the cat out?"

Drink driving
    "Oh Tom, what are we going to do?"
    "I don't know, luv, I just don't know"

Water Safety
    "Anyone seen Brian?"

Road Safety
    Can't remember the exact quote, but remember a young lad getting presented with his Road Safety Certificate?

Note: some names may have been changed to protect the innocent. Or because I can't remember them exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

The fire safety in the home one scared me!

Anyone remember...

(Mammy 1) Harry Dont the floors still wet!

(Mammy 2) No, its dry I washed it hours ago

(Mammy 1) What? Oh your kidding , that shine made me think it was

(Mammy 2) Thats what you get with Mr. Proper!!

etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

It BeeMee wrote:
    Some of the Safety ads. See if any of these spark a memory:

Water Safety
    "Anyone seen Brian?"

Road Safety
    Can't remember the exact quote, but remember a young lad getting presented with his Road Safety Certificate?

Note: some names may have been changed to protect the innocent. Or because I can't remember them exactly.

"Wheres grandad??" ehh.. you might want to start by looking at the floating corpse where the ripples are in that previously calm lake... this always used to crack me up as did poor brian who fell head first into a barrel of water & was found with his wellies pointing skywards!! not big or clever but i still find it hilariously over the top.

Those road safety ads were alien to me growing up in the suburbs-especially when the kids were shouting" CROSS THE ROAD!!" but fair play to seamus he deserved that award.

Take it easy with Cadburys Caramel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

anyone remember "when Mr. Cadbury's parrot says hello !!"

It was for Mini Eggs in the early 90's

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

Baby4 wrote:

'If you wanna have a cuppa, have a club' clink, clink

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

What about the Terry's Chocolate Orange ad which was a skit of the Indiana Jones film.
    Or Bassetts liquorice allsorts, where they'd have the person turn into a giant Berty Bassett (think that was the character's name).
    Also now remembering the old polo ads where the little tablets would be bouncing along happily before the big machine would grab one and flip it face up, then we see the big pneumatic hammer above it and hear it scream as the hammer comes down and stops just shy with a tiny centre bit popping out and knock out the centre of the polo, to be swept away and down a chute.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

The Snickers ad from the 90's. "I'm Batman"

Also no one else ever seems to remember this ad except me. I think it was a Cornflakes ad where a robot tried to eat the cornflakes but it had no mouth, so when the spoon-full of cereal hit its face where the mouth was suposed to be a tear came from its eye. Anyone else remember this, at times I wonder if I'm making it up. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The SMASH aliens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

That snickers ad was class! Remember when it used to be called marathon? Oh, and also "A Mars a day, helps you work, rest and play!"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

July 19th IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

What has Galway's liberation from the Indians got to do with anything?

Rmember
    "Only an hour from Dublin"

I remember as a chap being embarassed if the Cross you Heart bra ads came on if my mother was in the room. My red face didn't obstruct my view of the screen, tough .....
    "Lifts and separates"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

s8n wrote:
    anyone remember "when Mr. Cadbury's parrot says hello !!"

It was for Mini Eggs in the early 90's
    Yes, it was originally a song in the late 60's by Viv Stanshall of the Bonzo Dog Do-Dah band.

• Advertisement

Still like the kitkat add with the sheep dog.

Advertisement