Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old/ classic adverts

Options
  • 10-08-2006 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭

does anyone remember the old milkway ad with the two cars (one red one blue?)...that add really stickys out in my mind for some reason! :D

milky_way.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

No just the flake one with the woman in the bath and the lizard running over the phone as it rang , with the song 'only the crumbliest flaky milk chocolate' in the background.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I can remember an even older Flake ad, which had the woman lying back in a boat eating her Flake, and floating down a misty river or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, that was on some classic ads countdown thing on TV recently. The Flake ad with the girl on the boat is from 1983. Flake ads were hilariously over the top!

As were milk tray ads! (the one with the burglar dressed in black sneaking in to the rom and leaving the sweert...because the lady loves cadburys milk tray)

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

Knorr Mash... Get SMASH

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 64 ✭✭2Poc

snorlax wrote:
    does anyone remember the old milkway ad with the two cars (one red one blue?)...that add really stickys out in my mind for some reason! :D

milky_way.jpg

I remember the music - 'The red car & the blue car had a race, all red could do was stuff his face. He eats everything he sees from trucks? to prickly trees but smart old blue he took the milky way'

or something like that..

I also remember the filthy version of it we used to sing in the playground.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

^^ I remember that one now.

Does anyone remember that old Cadbury Fruit and Nut ad, it had some guy at an office with glasses and he was going to open his fruit and nut bar, and it came to life and started singing. Had the lyrics:
    "cadburys fruit and nut case... ...combination, cadburys fruit and.. nut."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Does anyone remember that old Cadbury Fruit and Nut ad, it had some guy at an office with glasses and he was going to open his fruit and nut bar, and it came to life and started singing. Had the lyrics:
    "cadburys fruit and nut case... ...combination, cadburys fruit and.. nut."
    Yeah, :D thats the one where the wrapper kinda falls down abit on the bar like a dress unzipping! Cadbury's had the funniest adds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Those Dime bar ones from the mid 90's with Harry Enfied, "that blokes a nutter!"
    Oh and that annoying, dancing Guinness chap. The amount of cursing and swearing at the telly in our house and the pub when it came on. :)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ruu wrote:
    Those Dime bar ones from the mid 90's with Harry Enfied, "that blokes a nutter!"
    Oh and that annoying, dancing Guinness chap. The amount of cursing and swearing at the telly in our house and the pub when it came on. :)
    Is that the same ad that had "ARMADILLOS. Crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside"?

• Advertisement

Yep he was in two of them I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The_g-man

The milkyway song was a remake of a weird xmas song if anyone can find a copy of that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

WAZZZZZZZZ AAAAAAAAAP? what an ad, he first one I mean, they really really killed it with the other ones.

oh and the KitKat ad "yeah, it was him" "he was abducted by rock n' roll lovin' aliens" "I was talkin' to him on the CB, the King is alive"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lauralaleela

does anyone remember that one for tea that went like this

anyone remember the bisto ads?

Is Trevor ever getting up? never in a month of Sundays? will dada ever get the garden cut? never in a month of Sundays? but theres one thing they wont miss out on in a matter of a month of Sundays. bisto brown seasons with a stir, it really is the one they prefer, you'll never never put the R in gravy without Bisto.

What about the Milky Bar kid? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Chances are, everyone knows at least one person who was/is nicknamed the Milky Bar kid.

We nicknamed my brother that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Do the Shake n Vac to put the freshness back.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Does anyone remember the special Christmas ads for cigs in special packs and the Babycham in the snow ads. Christmas was definitely on the way when these ads started to appear on the telly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Birdseye Potatoe Waffles, they're waffley versatile, they go with.....
    What a song!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

byte wrote:
    Is that the same ad that had "ARMADILLOS. Crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside"?

ARMADILLOS!!!:D that was a class add. had me cracked up everytime he came on dressed as the country bumkin. but its not the first one, that was the one with the thick chav who didnt know he was in an add . hence how it always ended with him in the backround shouting " Oi, nutter!"

ah they dont make adds like that anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

God, I remember most of those ads mentioned already as well. Making me feel really old now. :eek:

I remember when the Dime bar ads came out we used to go around quoting it in school all the time and driving some of the teacher's mad with muffled shouts of "That blokes a nutter! OI! NUTTER!" and "ARMADILLOS!" from the back of classroom when the teachers turned their backs to us.

A few months ago, I stumbled across a website that had video clips of some ads from the late 80's to about the mid 90's and they had one of the old Michael Barrymore (when he was still popular and before the various, ahem, "incidents"! ;):D ) Cadbury's Chocolate Fingers ads. Anyone remember those? Him dancing around and singing some song that went something like:

"Oooooh! They're singular, they're fingular,
    They're only as long as they're wide!
    Something, something something, something, something biscuit inside!
    But the most singular thing in a finger isssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

*BIG GASP OF BREATH*

Cadbury's Dairy Milk.

*REALLY CAMP VOICE* Lovely bisquits!"

And then this gigantic chocolate finger came swinging in from the side and picked him up and he went swinging off on it. God, looking back on it now, and knowing now what we didn't know about him back then, it's almost like he was trying to tell us something. ;) What with his fondness for, ahem, "chocolate fingers" in that ad and all! ;):D

Who's taking the horse to France?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

" so you'll be staying for dinner then?" :D ah you have to love those kerrygold adds, only the irish can combine bitter fustration and disapproval of the elderly and sexual abuse of foreigners by wanton culchie lassies!

my fav is the one with the french teacher who come into the home economics class to poach some butter. you just know the home ec teacher is gagging for him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

snorlax wrote:

milky_way.jpg

this is the ad you were referring to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoXJL2hL6kI

best ad ever:D

swingking wrote:

Brilliant! I'd love one right now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

The PG Tips Chimps. We are talking 1970s here. Dad, do you know the piano's on my foot?" "You hum it son and I'll play it." :)

There was the TV Spongers ad, with a sponge as the main character.

Some of you were talking about the woman lying in the boat and the flake. How many remember the woman lying and relaxing on a couch, eating Fry's Chocolate and catching the statue that the cat knocked from the mantlepiece?

Sticking with the chocolate theme, there was the Kit Kat ad: "You can't sing, you can't play, you look awful. You'll go a long way."

Before they banned tobacco ads, there were the Hamlet cigars ads. They were great.

There were many old Christmas ads. Operation, Kerr Plunk, Evel Knievel to name just a few. There were no play stations back then. Etch a Sketch was about as technical as you got. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Hagar wrote:
    Does anyone remember the special Christmas ads for cigs in special packs and the Babycham in the snow ads. Christmas was definitely on the way when these ads started to appear on the telly.

how about:

"Penneys/Primark, got a whole lotta things for Christmas, got a lot for the
    fam-il-eee, la la la, la la la la la, la la la, la la la la, la....." etc.

That was always the ultimate Christmas feel ad for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

swingking wrote:

brillant :D!

anyone remember the Christmas ad with the teeny little blond girl saying "santa" in her pjs?

Advertisement