Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Market Roof/canopy?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

More pixs, Michael Street will be glad to see it done and dusted - very quiet this morning with no through traffic allowed.

Apple_Market_Canopy_1.jpg
    Apple_Market_Canopy_2.jpg
    Apple_Market_Canopy_3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Very dark under the canopy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Deiseen

beazee wrote: »
    Very dark under the canopy
    They either thought of this (hopefully) and it will have LED lighting underneath to help or they can just install some on it afterwards easily. Looks well thou.

More pixs, Michael Street will be glad to see it done and dusted - very quiet this morning with no through traffic allowed.

Apple_Market_Canopy_1.jpg
    Apple_Market_Canopy_2.jpg
    Apple_Market_Canopy_3.jpg
    Great stuff, any chance of a picture down John Street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Looks great to be fair also doesn't look like any cars will be going through it from those pics

• Advertisement

Deiseen wrote: »

Taken from from facebook

17990669_1580911591976134_368831978098790303_n.jpg?oh=5c9ac302dd2c1761e73f3bcf0cb860b9&oe=5988867F

Taken from from facebook

17990669_1580911591976134_368831978098790303_n.jpg?oh=5c9ac302dd2c1761e73f3bcf0cb860b9&oe=5988867F
    Will the road be left tarmacked like that or will it be paved like the sides do you know?

I'd love to know when the pic was taken as you can see from my third shot the tarmac strip is now gone, or is it just covered in dust and cement mix? :)

Looks like its just covered in dust

Has the new layout been designed so that all the bars and restaurants can have seating outside? making for a very nice ambiance altogether...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

The roof looks terrible it's all dark in the apple market. The middle should have been clear to allow the light through. I'd imagine it will be very cold around there as well with no natural light.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

jayboi wrote: »
    The roof looks terrible it's all dark in the apple market. The middle should have been clear to allow the light through. I'd imagine it will be very cold around there as well with no natural light.

The underside of the roof isn't finished yet, it will have reflective panels, there is one it place at the moment by the USA store, when it's fully done light shouldn't be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Very cold....you do know its cold in most places on this island....there'll be plenty of natural light though, even reflecting off the partly shiny roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

The_Shotz wrote: »
    The underside of the roof isn't finished yet, it will have reflective panels, there is one it place at the moment by the USA store, when it's fully done light shouldn't be an issue
    Max Powers wrote: »
    Very cold....you do know its cold in most places on this island....there'll be plenty of natural light though, even reflecting off the partly shiny roof.

Considering the whole point of the roof was to create an open space for people to enjoy I.e sit out soak up the atmosphere. id imagine blocking out the a large chunk sun will only make it colder(heat comes from the sun) and less likely to enjoy it.

Maybe you are right and let's not forget councils never ever make mistakes.

I hope I'm wrong but what light is going to be reflected on a shiny roof from grey granite paving?

Would you not agree that a totally clear glass roof would of been better?

Maybe the roof panels are designed to be movable (on hinges)

Be nice if someone working on the scheme chipped in....hint hint.

Considering the whole point of the roof was to create an open space for people to enjoy I.e sit out soak up the atmosphere. id imagine blocking out the a large chunk sun will only make it colder(heat comes from the sun) and less likely to enjoy it.

Maybe you are right and let's not forget councils never ever make mistakes.

I hope I'm wrong but what light is going to be reflected on a shiny roof from grey granite paving?

Would you not agree that a totally clear glass roof would of been better?

I can't see the reflective section making the slightest change in temperature...I do think the reflective bit will be a cool /something different feature though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I can't see the reflective section making the slightest change in temperature...I do think the reflective bit will be a cool /something different feature though.

I think it will be like the mirrored canopy in Marseille , which is really interesting.

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2013/03/the-port-vieux-pavilion-a-mirrored-canopy-constructed-on-a-french-wharf/

Chiparus wrote: »
    I think it will be like the mirrored canopy in Marseille , which is really interesting.

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2013/03/the-port-vieux-pavilion-a-mirrored-canopy-constructed-on-a-french-wharf/

Nice post chip, that's exactly what I'm thinking, ours will be bit smaller but you can see the novelty value, similar type of situation with the bean in Chicago....and our own come July.
    Definitely get a sense now and again by some that this type of stuff is amazing when they see stuff like that on their holidays, yet can't wait to badmouth our own attractions.

It does look a bit colder under it though.....only joking, no offence jaiboy.

Balding heads alert! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Balding heads alert! :D

"cap sales soar in Waterford for some reason" :P

Lots of places like the link below in France, they can be cool and dark on winter days, but the functionality overrules that !

A lot more light even as is on the design in Waterford.

http://www.limpartial-andelys.fr/files/2015/04/L24119_HD097137.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Local residents are irate about the whole apple market development and associated traffic/diversions that are going to be implemented.....?

https://www.facebook.com/wlrfm/posts/1657705367603517

Have a read of the above link to the WLRFM face book page

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Local residents are irate about the whole apple market development and associated traffic/diversions that are going to be implemented.....?

https://www.facebook.com/wlrfm/posts/1657705367603517

Have a read of the above link to the WLRFM face book page

Always a minority to complain...vast majority of Waterford really positive about it.+ people can be afraid of any change.the time for giving out was 2 years ago when plans and designs published for consultation,I didn't see too many complaints about traffic in the published submissions.the likes of that j.clowno fella just loves to complain, he's against practically every development.added to that,I think their complaints are unfounded.i.e.don't see doubling of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Always a minority to complain...vast majority of Waterford really positive about it.+ people can be afraid of any change.the time for giving out was 2 years ago when plans and designs published for consultation,I didn't see too many complaints about traffic in the published submissions.the likes of that j.clowno fella just loves to complain, he's against practically every development.added to that,I think their complaints are unfounded.i.e.don't see doubling of traffic.

What is it with you and loving the Council? You always paint genuine concerns and objections as "giving out" and "always a minority who complain", who do you think you are? Its blatantly obvious that none of the building works affects you in any way shape or form and that's fine but to dismiss the concerns of others who ARE affected by it is arrogant in the extreme. There are businesses in Waterford that the council wanted to just bulldoze through to make way for one-way traffic into the city without an iota of thought for some of the shops on the Cork Road like Morris's, Dunphys etc, in fact they had to most of the legroom themselves to find out what the plans were.

Same with Bilberry- they wanted to make that one way traffic for the Greenway but they realised the people would push back hugely, and rightly so, on that issue. A lot of people living in the surrounding area don't want the fallout from extra traffic and why should they? I'm all for Waterford changing but people like you who just dismiss all concerns outright are whats wrong with Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Feckin Nimbyies

What is it with you and loving the Council? You always paint genuine concerns and objections as "giving out" and "always a minority who complain", who do you think you are? Its blatantly obvious that none of the building works affects you in any way shape or form and that's fine but to dismiss the concerns of others who ARE affected by it is arrogant in the extreme. There are businesses in Waterford that the council wanted to just bulldoze through to make way for one-way traffic into the city without an iota of thought for some of the shops on the Cork Road like Morris's, Dunphys etc, in fact they had to most of the legroom themselves to find out what the plans were.

Same with Bilberry- they wanted to make that one way traffic for the Greenway but they realised the people would push back hugely, and rightly so, on that issue. A lot of people living in the surrounding area don't want the fallout from extra traffic and why should they? I'm all for Waterford changing but people like you who just dismiss all concerns outright are whats wrong with Waterford.

Developments in a city have a tendency to lead to more traffic, that's the nature of it. What annoys me (and Max apparently) is the fact that these people consider 10 seconds extra in traffic, for the sake of good development, to be a red line that can't be crossed. This is ridiculous.

If something positive is happening in my city that will improve the general quality of life but at the expense of traffic getting a little worse then so be it. If you revolve a city around traffic then a very poor city you will have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I think it's normal enough for there to be objections and complaints. If I lived in the area, I would probably be annoyed at the disruption (and the noise). However, things have to change in the City, it's that simple, things cannot continue as they were for fear of inconvenience to a few people while works are ongoing.
    Once everything is finished and the residents have gotten used to the new system, their reservations will hopefully have been for nothing and they will get to enjoy their area thriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Developments in a city have a tendency to lead to more traffic, that's the nature of it. What annoys me (and Max apparently) is the fact that these people consider 10 seconds extra in traffic, for the sake of good development, to be a red line that can't be crossed. This is ridiculous.

If something positive is happening in my city that will improve the general quality of life but at the expense of traffic getting a little worse then so be it. If you revolve a city around traffic then a very poor city you will have.

I 100% agree with you but there is a lot more than 10 extra seconds since they changed aroung the quay and summerhill leading to big delays leaving the city and a backflow affect all up Gracedieu and up towards Yellow Road. Go up to Summerhill between 5 and 7 any weekday and you will be waiting a lot more than ten seconds!

Any pictures btw?

Nope, I was thinking about going down tomorrow but it depends on the weather.

Does anyone know what the access story is for Michael Street once the Apple Market work is done? I'm going to
    guess there will still be one way through from John's Street side up to a certain hour of the morning.

• Advertisement

I 100% agree with you but there is a lot more than 10 extra seconds since they changed aroung the quay and summerhill leading to big delays leaving the city and a backflow affect all up Gracedieu and up towards Yellow Road. Go up to Summerhill between 5 and 7 any weekday and you will be waiting a lot more than ten seconds!

And the new changes will hopefully relieve some of that. As Max said, the time to complain has been and gone. Once they change to the one way system you'll probably see flows improve (hopefully)

Advertisement