Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What rail line do you think could be re-opened?

Options
  • 19-04-2017 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭

Having been on trains in the UK that were re-routed around closures I can see the benefit to alternative paths, which is why I think the Athlone-Mullingar section would probably be the most useful if re-opened: it would give an alternative path from the West to Dublin in the case of engineering works, mechanical failures, etc.

Are there any other potentially useful lines that could be re-opened?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

The South Wexford line to open up Rosslare Europort to the south and west of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

The South Wexford line to open up Rosslare Europort to the south and west of the country.

Chronically low population densities along that line and I think it might have been more useful if the line from Waterford ran into Wexford instead of Rosslare; at least then there'd be alternative pathing from Dublin to Waterford or Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

You don't necessarily need to re-open the stations along the line, it's the connection that is important. If there was no demand for example to re-open, say Campile or Wellingtonbridge then leave them closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

n97 mini wrote: »
    Chronically low population densities along that line and I think it might have been more useful if the line from Waterford ran into Wexford instead of Rosslare; at least then there'd be alternative pathing from Dublin to Waterford or Wexford.

was still viable though for the so called service provided and more. only for the fact ballybroaphy branch had some bit of a high profile support base it likely would have gone instead.
    wexford was a better destination and the trains should have run right through to limerick junction. to late now though.

the most obvious reopenings apart from south wexford would be indeed athlone mullingar, and if it hadn't been converted to luas, brey harcourt street (all though harcourt street wouldn't reopen) . would have cost but would have been worth the expence. after that, some stuff up north, to omagh and armagh at least. after that, i can't think of any.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The Waterford/Rosslare Strand line should not have been closed and the short direct curve between Felthouse Junction and Killinick Junction (closed c.1911) should have been reinstated. This would have enabled direct services to and from Waterford from a whole range of towns on the South East coast and the population density of hamlets along the line such as Campile, Wellingtonbridge etc. would have become totally irrelevant.

It could still be done, but with the useless shower of politicians we have - especially the local fools like Brendan Howlin and Paul Kehoe - there's no chance. In fact there is NO chance given the attitude of the useless fecker (Ciaran Cuffe) in the Green Party who presided over the the lines' closure while overseeing the opening of the WRC. If the Greens don't promote the railways, who will?

• Advertisement

It's just like the Phoenix Park tunnel - waiting to be discovered and reinvented.

Killinick%2B-%2BFelthouse%2BJn.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Del.Monte wrote: »
    The Waterford/Rosslare Strand line should not have been closed and the short direct curve between Felthouse Junction and Killinick Junction (closed c.1911) should have been reinstated. This would have enabled direct services to and from Waterford from a whole range of towns on the South East coast and the population density of hamlets along the line such as Campile, Wellingtonbridge etc. would have become totally irrelevant.

It could still be done, but with the useless shower of politicians we have - especially the local fools like Brendan Howlin and Paul Kehoe - there's no chance. In fact there is NO chance given the attitude of the useless fecker (Ciaran Cuffe) in the Green Party who presided over the the lines' closure while overseeing the opening of the WRC. If the Greens don't promote the railways, who will?

Indeed. There was a lot of wilful and deliberate bullsh!t put about the low population densities of south Wexford when its main purpose was a strategic connection from Rosslare to the south and west. Not for the first time, a line was run down to the point of uselessness before IR threw its hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,492 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cork-Limerick direct. Either road to Navan (for passengers) although the Northern Line would need capacity works first. Think that Cork would benefit more from a modern design for light rail rather than reopening bits of disconnected lines.

Portadown road to Derry.

Some form of light rail system using the vast amount of trackbed around Limerick - 1600mm so it can share the main approaches with normal trains.

Stub of the Tullow line to get a station actually in Naas.

Some branches or stubs of lines I'd wait until there's more population in the catchment area - Ardee branch, Mallow-Fermoy, Galway-Moycullen

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

It's funny you say that.

I gave them my no2 because I figured a green party would prioritise two things:
    -Alternative Energy (I thought Ireland was ideal for wind and wave power)
    -Public Transport

Instead they presided over the death of the Transport 21 plan. I know I know I know recession recession recession...ever hear of the TVA? Big projects by the govt during recessions are good things, of course you can't fund them all, but funding ones that would provide a net plus financially are no brainers.

It really really annoyed me, and cost them any future votes, when they p1ssed away their one chance in govt with light bulbs and fur farms.

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    It's funny you say that.

I gave them my no2 because I figured a green party would prioritise two things:
    -Alternative Energy (I thought Ireland was ideal for wind and wave power)
    -Public Transport

Instead they presided over the death of the Transport 21 plan. I know I know I know recession recession recession...ever hear of the TVA? Big projects by the govt during recessions are good things, of course you can't fund them all, but funding ones that would provide a net plus financially are no brainers.

It really really annoyed me, and cost them any future votes, when they p1ssed away their one chance in govt with light bulbs and fur farms.

well, just be greatful we now know their true colours. don't bank on them not getting into government again though, people do keep voting ffg after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Compeletely agree regarding the curve skipping Rosslare and its reopening should be prioritised however it was Labour councillors and indeed Brendan Howlin that were the only ones fighting the line's closure in the first place - from what I saw anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

just about. inspection cars go down the odd time. apparently there is a loco ban on the bridge now (hmmmm, funny that)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

brey harcourt street (all though harcourt street wouldn't reopen) . would have cost but would have been worth the expence.

Baloney.

The luas does a far more effective job and is way more flexible. The Harcourt street line is no longer a sad story of closure.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Baloney.

The luas does a far more effective job and is way more flexible. The Harcourt street line is no longer a sad story of closure.

Have to agree with you there. The Luas provides a far superior, more frequent service than a heavy rail operation and it penetrates to the heart of the city which the old line never did.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Having been on trains in the UK that were re-routed around closures I can see the benefit to alternative paths, which is why I think the Athlone-Mullingar section would probably be the most useful if re-opened: it would give an alternative path from the West to Dublin in the case of engineering works, mechanical failures, etc.

Are there any other potentially useful lines that could be re-opened?

Athlnie/Mullingar or South Wexford however I would prefer to see a double tracked network with Limerick-Limerick J and Athlone-Portarlington.

Baloney.

nope. not baloney.
    The luas does a far more effective job and is way more flexible.

not really. heavy rail offers greater capacity straight out of the box, + highly frequent heavy rail is done all over the world. i will give you trams being easier to get in and out of the city but so could a rail line if put underground within the city confines. it can be integrated with the existing rail network as well.
    The Harcourt street line is no longer a sad story of closure.

correct it's a lot more

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

nope. not baloney.

not really. heavy rail offers greater capacity straight out of the box, + highly frequent heavy rail is done all over the world, just because IE can't seem to manage it doesn't mean it can't be done. i will give you trams being easier to get in and out of the city but so could a rail line if put underground within the city confines. it can be integrated with the existing rail network as well.

correct it's a lot more

It is baloney. If you want a detailed debate about it, lets fire away.

You have absolutely no idea whatsoever what you are talking about in terms of the Harcourt street line and its reopening/reinvention. You are stuck in a timewarp.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 EireGrif

If my money is not object, Tralee to Limerick rail. Would building new railway to Castleisland.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

nope. not baloney.

not really. heavy rail offers greater capacity straight out of the box, + highly frequent heavy rail is done all over the world. i will give you trams being easier to get in and out of the city but so could a rail line if put underground within the city confines. it can be integrated with the existing rail network as well.

correct it's a lot more

Where in the world with a similar city size has heavy rail witn the capacity and frequency of the Luas green line? Does the off-peak frequency compare well to Luas? Do such lines pay their operational costs like Luas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I don't think any line will be reopening, but locally I'd say Newcastlewest/Adare/Patrickswell/Limerick might serve a quite high population

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Deedsie wrote: »
    I'd invest in the current open lines to improve them. Ballybrophy line needs investment in the infrastructure of the line or it will be forced to close.

There are certain lines where investment in speed, frequency etc would improve passenger numbers. But the Ballybrophy line is just stuck in such a low pop density zone that no amount of money is going to make any difference.

People usually bring up the 'social function' point, but like BE, you can run services for a social function at a loss, but when there is nearly no revenue coming in from ticket sales and barely any passengers, you're spending an unholy fortune per passenger to keep a line open...in that case there is no argument for keeping it.

With the Ballybrophy lines original closure discussion coming up a few months back, it greatly amused me to see people calling up radio stations saying "I use it Joe, I use it all de time tiz a great owl service"
    Yes Mary...but we weren't saying NOBODY uses it, just that not enough people use it, we can't keep the line open just for Mary, Jane and Paddy if they're the only passengers. It would be a great service for me if the Enterprise, instead of dropping me off in Connoly, went right to my local DART station and saved me the transfer, but that doesn't mean doing that's a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Cork to Youghal in full.

It reopened as far as Midleton in 2009.

The last train to go beyond Midleton was in 1988.

In 1992 and 2008 there was over 7 of the 15 miles of track lifted.

Whilst this was earmarked as a greenway, I think reopening the line would be more viable given the volume of traffic on the N25 and the expansion of the towns served in the near 30 years since the last train.

The other would be the west cork line.

maybe you should wait until it's closed to include it in this thread?

(Lim/Ballybrophy that is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Isambard wrote: »
    I don't think any line will be reopening, but locally I'd say Newcastlewest/Adare/Patrickswell/Limerick might serve a quite high population

Sooner or later at least some of the West Limerick / North Kerry line will merit reopening as a commuter route, even if it is only to Adare or Patrickswell.
    It is important that the alignment be protected, at least to Foynes to permit reopening in due course.
    This is especially true for the direct curve into Limerick passenger terminus, long out of use and I think a bridge has been removed.

that was my thinking, if the line to Foynes is to be reopened, makes sense to look at passenger services. I doubt it would be viable beyond NCW, but that could be a railhead for a wide area

KC161 wrote: »
    Cork to Youghal in full.

If it had originally gone to Dungarvan and on to Waterford I could see the point, but i think with the distance to Youghal and the low population it wouldn't be worth the running costs.

Deedsie wrote: »
    I'd invest in the current open lines to improve them. Ballybrophy line needs investment in the infrastructure of the line or it will be forced to close.

I don't think you're objective as you've a vested interest and that's your entitlement, but it's very hard to justify the required investment in that line to upgrade it. It basically needs to be torn up and rebuilt with a pile of bridges and/or tunnels. It really is a good example of a line not fit for purpose in 21st century Ireland.

If it had originally gone to Dungarvan and on to Waterford I could see the point, but i think with the distance to Youghal and the low population it wouldn't be worth the running costs.

and then again it very much could be worth the running costs. as we don't know what they would be we can't say either way.

• Advertisement

and then again it very much could be worth the running costs. as we don't know what they would be we can't say either way.

Rather than contradicting you need to refute arguments. Back them up with facts.

It is a fact that the population served by an extension just to Youghal would serve a very small population.

Advertisement