Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you refuse to buy in Lidl and Aldi....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I am not keen on their fruit tbh, I know this will go against a lot of folk as I often hear people saying how great their fruit is.

From my experience, its not all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

People seem to forget that fruit and veggies are fresh produce and supposed to go off. The longer they last on the shelves the greener they were when harvested and/or more nuked they are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

elperello wrote: »
    Lidl have a lovely pilsner called Perlenbacher it's 6 for €7.29.
    Guess you missed the XXL there recently when it was 8 for €7.29 , Unfortunately the green bottles are not as nice as the brown bottles.

Or when the German discounters had four Tyskie for a fiver. That was a pleasant surprise. They kinda snuck up on you too.

Dutch Gold is overpriced compared to Aldi's offering. Thing about cheap lagers is that if they are cold enough they all taste the same.

Wouldn't buy Lambrusco though Tesco's is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

Their ski wear, rather pull some insulation from the attic and wrap myself in cling film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

messenger magazine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 ImeldaNarcos

Mainly personal hygiene stuff, toothpaste, deodorants, moisturisers, etc I stick to brands I like.
    I've been pleasantly surprised with cheese, jam, butter and milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I've been pleasantly surprised with cheese, jam, butter and milk.

Lidl's rhubarb and strawberry jam is lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

apples are watery mush , and their expensive ' organic ' ones are horrible too, potatoes the same, oranges , watery and tasteless , really life is too short to be munching through watery cardboard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

oh, that milbona yogurt should be banned , absolutely disgusting , i buy very little in lidl/ aldi in recent months, no matter how cheap it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I've stopped buying their chocolate cakes. They are just too addictive;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I do 99% of my food shop in lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Do most of the food shopping in Aldi. Go to tesco for coffee pods, toiletries, washing powder and Barrys tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Orange fruits can be extremely hit and miss around all the supermarkets in my experience. I've paid twice the price in Tesco / Supervalu only to find them tasteless as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Avocados

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Sexual favours.
    For the record aldis produce beats lidl hands down.Their own brand bourbon easily competes with the likes of Woodford Reserve or Knob creek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Everything except plants/flowers.

They are health hazards as far as food goes in my opinion. Shops stink of rotten veg.

And the plastic baskets could walk out the door themselves with the crap that is in them. From my own experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

well, I enjoy all I buy from both Aldi and LIDL . Never had a bad item. Glad of the choice. And the lower prices.

Sorry if you've been looking for them but I've cleaned out my local lidl/aldi of;

Italian sheep cheese (peccorino)
    lobsters (at 3.49 each!)
    geese
    japanese tea

All incredible products that i think the mainstream irish supermarkets wouldnt even stock.

Both are now selling sandwiches that undercut even dealz and are excellent. half the price of eg tesco and better.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Just my 2 cents regarding the discussion about he oranges and other citrus fruit : When they're in season, they're great. In Aldi, in Lidl, and in any other shop.
    When they're not in season, they'll be rubbish, no matter where you buy them or how much you pay for them.

Lidl currently has Pomelos back in stock as they're in season, and I can't stop stuffing my face.

• Advertisement

Animal Testing and Aldi:

"It is our policy in the UK and Ireland that all of our own-label cosmetics, toiletries and household products and their ingredients must not be tested on animals."

Lidl don't have any such policy.

More info: https://www.aldi.co.uk/about-aldi/corporate-responsibility/resources-for-our-products/animal-testing-and-welfare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

DareGod wrote: »
    Animal Testing and Aldi:

"It is our policy in the UK and Ireland that all of our own-label cosmetics, toiletries and household products and their ingredients must not be tested on animals."

Lidl don't have any such policy.

More info: https://www.aldi.co.uk/about-aldi/corporate-responsibility/resources-for-our-products/animal-testing-and-welfare

Tesco also have a no animal testing policy for any of their own brand items.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Sexual favours.
    For the record aldis produce beats lidl hands down.Their own brand bourbon easily competes with the likes of Woodford Reserve or Knob creek
    They used to have a lovely rum in my local Lidl, but they stopped selling it and it showed up in the supervalu instead at a big mark up.

Parchment wrote: »
    Tesco also have a no animal testing policy for any of their own brand items.

I don't think they do. And even if they do, I would say it's definitely only for the product and not the ingredients. Also, Aldi's sales are made up of almost exclusively their own brand product. Tesco's own brand cosmetic products don't make up anywhere near as significant an amount of their overall sales.

Ergo, there's no comparison. Tesco are selling an astronomical amount of ingredients and products that were tested on animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

DareGod wrote: »
    I don't think they do. And even if they do, I would say it's definitely only for the product and not the ingredients. Also, Aldi's sales are made up of almost exclusively their own brand product. Tesco's own brand cosmetic products don't make up anywhere near as significant an amount of their overall sales.

Ergo, there's no comparison. Tesco are selling an astronomical amount of ingredients and products that were tested on animals.

Wow - i was just stating that Tesco do have such a policy. Calm down.

http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/companystories.aspx?CompanyId=18139&CategoryId=207

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

ScumLord wrote: »
    They used to have a lovely rum in my local Lidl, but they stopped selling it and it showed up in the supervalu instead at a big mark up.

They used to have a crew of stunning polish birds manning the tills at my nearest lidl,alas they literally got marked up,in kilos.Most of them are fairly robust and cranky lookin now.Obviously your gonna find the odd diamond in the dirt but clearly the days of potential playboy centrefolds working in discount supermarkets are well and truly over.Stupid really,the wages are the same and polish stunners would probably take less paid sick leave than folk afflicted with obesity.Quite rightly,the obese community have the right to employment and IT work is often where they excel.Call it discrimination if you like,but you wouldn't shrewd businessmen like Michael o leary or the likes hiring 'plus size' air hostesses.As a feminist,how its allowed carry on without anyone really giving a shíte ticks me off no end.Ive enough to keep me awake as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Pretty much nothing. Would love one of them over here in Toronto, though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Don't by the sanitary towels unless you want a really uncomfortable itch.

the_syco wrote: »
    Pretty much nothing. Would love one of them over here in Toronto, though!

My family in Canada echo that. The cost of food there is .....:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

I thought everyone knew that the "fresh" fruit and veg are frozen hence the quick expiry when you get them home?

Advertisement