Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schoolkids smoking

Options
  • 21-11-2016 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,724 ✭✭✭✭

was driving through a local town today and to be honest was amazed at the amount of secondary school kids in their uniforms I see walking on the pavement or crossing the road with either a fag in their mouths or in their hands - they just dont seem to hide the fact now, not even hiding behind the bike sheds like my schoolmates used to do years ago.

Why is the message not getting through to them about the dangers of smoking?

Why are they not worried about getting caught now?

why are there no lessons in the school curriculum showing them what is happening every time they smoke a cigarette ? - if there was would they pay one bit of attention or do they just think they are invincible or impervious to the dangers of smoking?

Do you think its shocking or just kids being kids?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Teenagers "rebelling" nothing new. 20 years ago when I was in school people only hid on school ground and were open about it around town. It's just the same and of course we knew about the health risks back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Kids being kids. They're constantly being told that smoking is bad for you, don't do it, so they rebel and they try it. It's not shocking to me, it's been like that since I was one of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭hannible the cannible

Something has to kill them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

they just dont seem to hide the fact now, not even hiding behind the bike sheds like my schoolmates used to do years ago.
    Good. Couldn't care less about them smoking, but don't like the idea of shaming them into hiding behind bike sheds. They should be shamed in public. And proud of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,724 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

if the shock has gone then and its all open like this - is it time for shops to openly sell fags to underage kids then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

if the shock has gone then and its all open like this - is it time for shops to openly sell fags to underage kids then?
    Shops already can openly sell fags to underage kids. But it's against the law. And rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Garfin

They have listened to health advice so switched over to vaping, cigarettes are so 20th Century

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I remember the shop across the road from my school sold individual cigs. Perfect for the student who only got £1.50 for lunch money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Were they wearing leather jackets with loads of zips and chains on them?
    If so they are known as "hard men" and are to be avoided at all costs. Probably members of the IRA as well. They'll have that written all over the schoolbags as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Teenagers are always going to experiment. That's just the way it is as the song says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

The things that are banned until you reach the age of 17 or 18 are the ones you want to try early, except voting.

Get rid of the age limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,371 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

When are people going to learn that smoking is just so damn cool?

These kids sound like they know the score, enjoying the cool refreshing taste of nicotine at its finest.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,276 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

At €11 a pack they must be high rolling kids.

At €11 a pack they must be high rolling kids.

must be buying them black market ...... off other students more than likely. Maybe comes under the heading 'Business Studies' ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Meh. It used to be cool to smoke, now it's cool not to smoke. I'm cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

School kids? More like Cool kids

physcologists used to say that kids that smoke are using the fag sucking on it like they used to suck on their mothers títty because they miss breast-feeding ... dunno whether theres any truth in it , but it sounds viable :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

physcologists used to say that kids that smoke are using the fag sucking on it like they used to suck on their mothers títty because they miss breast-feeding ... dunno whether theres any truth in it , but it sounds viable :D

I... I don't... I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Meh. It used to be cool to smoke, now it's cool not to smoke. I'm cool :)

I used to smoke. Now, I've given up. Fashion Victim, me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

tuxy wrote: »
    I remember the shop across the road from my school sold individual cigs. Perfect for the student who only got £1.50 for lunch money

The shop near my old school did the same. I think it was something like 20p per cigarette. They made quite a profit on it too, as a packet of 20 would have been around £2.50 back then (mid-90s).

• Advertisement

I never smoked because I wanted to get on my high horse and condemn everyone that smoked and i wouldnt have been able to do that successfully if I had smoked ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Here in France it's Give Up Smoking month this November. I'm a teacher and I was sitting in the staff room at the start of the month when the principal announced over the intercom that there would be a support meeting for students who wanted to give up. I was shocked at first, but then I realised it's better to be honest and acknowledge that loads of teenagers smoke rather than pussyfooting around it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Back in the '60s in primary school in would have bought a tipped cigarette and a match for 3d at lunchtime.
    Imagine that!!!!

3d for a ciggy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭secman

School kids? More like Cool kids

More like FOOL kids

On the law of averages the world has to be made up of smarts, fools and loads in between.......
    I'll always remember my Dad's dieing words looking at a shadow of himself in the mirror.. " If I only knew then what I know now I'd have never touched those bastard cigarettes "
    Unfortunately back in my parents days Doctors were advertising smokes, unbelievably these docs were on the baccy payroll.
    No excuses these days, but fools and Thierry money are easily parted.
    Lost my mother to lung cancer too :(

Breaks my heart when I see kids smoking, really does, having witnessed my 2 parents dieing in agony, strung out on morphine , horrible horrible to witness.

getzls wrote: »
    Back in the '60s in primary school in would have bought a tipped cigarette and a match for 3d at lunchtime.
    Imagine that!!!!

3d for a ciggy

No one knew the dangers back then though or very little research done on them though in defence. I think I read somewhere that even in the 50's and 60's you could pop down to your local pharmacy and buy a packet of fags, imagine popping into boots these days and asking for 20 B&H lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

This applies to everybody I think, not just children. People put things in their mouth in an effort to sooth stress, be it a nipple, a soother, a thumb, a cigarette or a bit of chocolate, and it stems back to breastfeeding because we're hardwired to believe everything will be alright if there's something to suck on.

Feel free to use this in an effort to persuade your stressed-out other halves take care of you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The things that are banned until you reach the age of 17 or 18 are the ones you want to try early, except voting.

Get rid of the age limits.
    My brother was a rebel teenager. He voted when he was 17. (The electoral register people messed up and sent him a voting card before they should have.)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

My brother was a rebel teenager. He voted when he was 17. (The electoral register people messed up and sent him a voting card before they should have.)

Strange, as you have to register and can't do so until you hit 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

murpho999 wrote: »
    Strange, as you have to register and can't do so until you hit 18.

I never registered and I still got one around the time I turned 18.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

:D
    Why is the message not getting through to them about the dangers of smoking?

The adverts on telly say that smokers have a 50% chance of dying from a smoking related illness.

Logically that means 50% of people can smoke as much as they like without dying from it.

It's nice to see kids being so optimistic.

Advertisement