Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brendan Balfe

Options
  • 18-02-2011 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Why has no other radio station given him a job ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Tapes wrote: »
    Why has no other radio station given him a job ?

He's 65 years old, and retired last September - I dunno, I'm thinking maybe he's not looking for a job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Tapes

Bard wrote: »
    He's 65 years old, and retired last September - I dunno, I'm thinking maybe he's not looking for a job?

www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio-veteran-balfe-looks-for-new-job-after-rte-falls-2342875.html

I sit corrected... but reckon only stations that he's applied to could answer your original question...

Why do you think no-one's taken him on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Tapes

Bard wrote: »
    I sit corrected... but reckon only stations that he's applied to could answer your original question...

Why do you think no-one's taken him on?

I dont know why a station like 4fm wouldnt give him a weekend gig, he is a very well known broadcaster to the over 45+ aged listeners.

Seeing as 4fm slimmed down their workforce recently, presumably they can't afford to take people on at the moment... and they're not the only ones, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Maybe he could go the independent production route and produce shows or segments for radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Has Brendan found any radio work lately?.

I notice that he no longer produces the Gay Byrne show on Lyric, this (And The Irish Voice series released on CD and given a re-run) was his only connection with RTE since he left in 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭July Rain

I was never a fan of Balfe, He always came across as up his own arse to me. I guess he wasn't liked very much at RTE either because its very unusual for RTE not to make room somewhere in their radio schedule for dinosaur broadcasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Has Brendan found any radio work lately?.

I notice that he no longer produces the Gay Byrne show on Lyric, this (And The Irish Voice series released on CD and given a re-run) was his only connection with RTE since he left in 2010.

I guess he's just enjoying his retirement. He worked for long enough - can't blame him for taking it easy after a long career.

July Rain wrote: »
    I was never a fan of Balfe, He always came across as up his own arse to me. I guess he wasn't liked very much at RTE either because its very unusual for RTE not to make room somewhere in their radio schedule for dinosaur broadcasters.

Wow. Bitter much?

• Advertisement

You know that article is three years old? You know that people are allowed to change their minds?
    Personally, I miss his work on the radio but perhaps BB has adjusted to life in retirement, perhaps he has a few side projects that will see the light of day soon (fingers crossed), or perhaps he has enough self-awareness to leave the stage to the next generation.
    He's a private individual, so - to be honest - he doesn't owe me (or any of us) any answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭bureau2009

I wouldn't have been a big fan of Brendan Balfe but he had a great knowledge of music, showbiz and radio history that could have been put to good use behind the scenes.

He did get a gig producing Gay Byrne's Sunday show on Lyric FM for the October 2012 to March 2013 season.

Speaking of Gay Byrne's show - if you're into radio listen to it on Sundays and hear the master at work. He's 80 next year so this might be your last chance to catch a legend at work.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Balfe's new series, "30 days", started today. Good to hear him back on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Balfe's new series, "30 days", started today. Good to hear him back on the radio.

And VERY good it was too....excellent format,particularly the News Headlines from the era.....New Licencing Hours.....2 Pm to 5 Pm on Sundays .....My pal nearly choked....."WHA.....Turn dah up...didja hear that.....:eek: :eek: :eek: ???? ".

All told a very slick and well presented programme...hope the remainder will be as good.....and given Brendan Balfe's track record I've every confidence...a man who knows what the wireless is for ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I heard most of that today and enjoyed it. I just assumed it was a repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Rock Solid

Hes gone with 567MW !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Info please on where I can listen to it.

Searched RTE, No joy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Found it . Saturday about 13.00

You'd think they were trying to hide it. No info when one clicked on link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

You'd think they were trying to hide it. No info when one clicked on link

Yeah, that struck me too. I was trying to find a web page, or promo piece, to link to in my op but couldn't find anything. Strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,669 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

'30 Days' back on Radio 1 this week 4-5pm! :)

Good show today (December 1980), looking at May 1998 tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,917 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Listened yesterday. Brilliant. That's the type of show that Radio 1 is made for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

This is a good show , the only issue I have are the reenacted 'news' with Ken HAmmond , much as I liked Ken as a news reader in his day , theses snippets are to be frank , a bit crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Thought this might be of interest.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/reviews/books/2007/1101/445719-balfeb/

I for one liked BB, great radio voice.

When I lived in Dun Laoire I used to see him from time to time, always very civil.

Plus this.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A10358357%3A0%3A%3A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Cliff Walker

A tin pot Dublin station offered him Sunday afternoons but he was disgusted when he was told his wages would be 70€ for 3 hours and kindly refused.

A tin pot Dublin station offered him Sunday afternoons but he was disgusted when he was told his wages would be 70€ for 3 hours and kindly refused.

Good for Brendan!! As long as people continue to accept those conditions, employers will think they can get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Broadcastonfm

Good for Brendan!! As long as people continue to accept those conditions, employers will think they can get away with it.

Maybe that's the reality - nobody is going to match Montrose wages

He's doing a series of stage shows in the National Concert Hall where he recounts his career in RTE and all the stars he met, or was friends with.

Nothing against the man, but I never warmed to him. I heard him promoting his NCH show on RTE last week and I can't say it changed my mind. Link below, I'm sure some people would love this kind of thing.

https://www.nch.ie/Online/Brendan-Balfe-06Sep16

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Which station was it?

• Advertisement

He's doing a series of stage shows in the National Concert Hall where he recounts his career in RTE and all the stars he met, or was friends with.

Nothing against the man, but I never warmed to him. I heard him promoting his NCH show on RTE last week and I can't say it changed my mind. Link below, I'm sure some people would love this kind of thing.

https://www.nch.ie/Online/Brendan-Balfe-06Sep16

He did that show in smaller theatre's i think late last year/earlier this year..

Advertisement