Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what other things cause cancer do you reckon?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

My mother and dad both smoke and drank as much as each other, she died of lung cancer, my dad died of pneumonia but was nearly 20 years older than her. While certain life choices increase your chances, everybody's body deals with it differently

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Why bother worrying about every cause of cancer ? Are you really gonna change your lifestyle that drastically every time you read a scaremongering article or news story ?

Eating red meat, consuming alcohol, breathing in proximity to diesel cars now apparently, sitting down too long, genetic inheritance ... it goes on and on and on.

Bar not smoking and having a balanced diet, what else can you possibly do to defend against it without impeding a quality of life ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

you reckon they will ever really come up with a cure for Cancer though - I mean you imagine how many people would stand to loose their jobs that are in Cancer research and the drugs companies as well

There's no money to be made from curing cancer or any other disease. There's tons of money to me made from pumping cancer causing drugs to cure cancer.. hence the 5 year cancer free limit on 'cures'.

One of the biggest causes is an acidic body. Cancer thrives in this environment and one of the worst foods for this is dairy.
    There will never be a cure for cancer. Its too big an industry now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This week they were suggesting that there was a link between wind players and cancer, due to toxic substances gradually building up inside the instrument, which in turn could be causing a potential carcinogenic effect on the performer. I think there is something in it.
    :(
    As a kid I remember watching UK TV presenter Roy Castle and he was diagnosed with lung cancer and at the time they linked it with him playing the trumpet in smokey jazz clubs for years. He was a lifetime non smoker. Now with the suggestion that the instrument itself might be a risk it may have added to it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

cbyrd wrote: »
    There will never be a cure for cancer. Its too big an industry now.

This just doesn't make sense. The biotech / pharma industry isn't some monolith. It's lots of competing companies. If anyone could find an effective cure they would be the first mover and make a pile of money. The losses to every other player would not be their concern.

Look at Vertex. They found a cure for some forms of cystic fibrosis. They're able to charge a hundred grand a pop and it's still good value. The companies who treat CF without curing it are just going to have to suck it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Stress.

Stress causes a huge amount of health problems.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This week they were suggesting that there was a link between wind players and cancer, due to toxic substances gradually building up inside the instrument, which in turn could be causing a potential carcinogenic effect on the performer. I think there is something in it.
    :(
    A more direct link is fungal spores from damp dark insides of instruments

https://www.theguardian.com/science/shortcuts/2016/aug/23/bagpipe-lung-a-new-name-for-a-very-old-disease

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

uch wrote: »
    I can fit 4 old 2p's up each nostril
    :eek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twopence_(British_pre-decimal_coin)
    Mass 56.7 g (2 oz)
    Diameter 41 mm (1.6 in)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,723 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Wibbs wrote: »
    As a kid I remember watching UK TV presenter Roy Castle and he was diagnosed with lung cancer and at the time they linked it with him playing the trumpet in smokey jazz clubs for years. He was a lifetime non smoker. Now with the suggestion that the instrument itself might be a risk it may have added to it.

Yes I remember him/that news and how they said it was probably caused by second hand smoke inhalation ... imagine if it was this thing thats found in instruments after all

Stress.

yep , i believe the link there too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

:eek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twopence_(British_pre-decimal_coin)
    Mass 56.7 g (2 oz)
    Diameter 41 mm (1.6 in)

Doest Thou doubt me ?

21/25

Sam Kade wrote: »
    If only scientists could be as sure about what causes cancer as they are about the cause of climate change we would all live longer.

scientists arent sure what causes climate change ... they just make it up as they go along :pac:

I wish this Global Warming would hurry the feck up, on the whole this 'summer' outside temps has been bleeding freezing most of the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Yes I remember him/that news and how they said it was probably caused by second hand smoke inhalation ... imagine if it was this thing thats found in instruments after all

I found a thing in my Instrument today

21/25

seamusk84 wrote: »
    Cars have air filters. Better than nothing.

Not all cars are fitted with Pollen/cabin Filters I believe just the posh ones at a higher price and that have air conditioning ... us poor feckers with our cheap/ basic or old motor cars can just feck off and die with car fumes being sucked into the car

uch wrote: »
    I found a thing in my Instrument today

you can get an anti-biotic for that these days ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

ScumLord wrote: »
    Nano technology will allow doctors to target individual cells in the future. In the future we'll probably have an army of them inside us that can attack cancerous cells as they pop up. I don't think we'll ever really be able to totally prevent cancer from happening, especially when cells have to be continually replicating themselves. It's really not surprising that over the course of billions of cloning procedures there are some mistakes. In reality it's a wonder it doesn't happen more often.

Mind-controlled nanobotz

Recorded EEG patterns are recognized online by an algorithm, which in turn controls the state of an electromagnetic field.

The field induces the local heating of billions of mechanically-actuating DNA origami robots tethered to metal nanoparticles, leading to their reversible activation and subsequent exposure of a bioactive payload.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0161227

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

failinis wrote: »
    I think you could join Kneemos for a twin thread.

Best idea ever! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Car pollution and health:

http://phys.org/news/2016-08-traffic-bad.html

If we could change to a mostly-cycling culture with good public transport our hospitals would be crying out for patients!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Any comparison between traffic fumes and cigarette smoke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Plastic food packaging.

• Advertisement

Any comparison between traffic fumes and cigarette smoke?

Dunno, you'd have to Google that for yourself. I do know that when researchers like Doll & Hill first went looking for a reason for lung cancer having become a common illness, when it had been very rare, they assumed that either car pollution or working with tars on roads were going to be a big factor. The researchers were astonished when they found that smoking, which had been thought to be quite healthy, came up as a huge factor both for lung cancer and for heart disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I'm sure the comparison is intended to be provocative, but even with a better idea of the causes of cancer I'm not sure it would make much difference. We know that poor diet, alcohol, smoking and lack of exercise are the major risk factors for a whole raft of diseases, but many people still don't fix them.

They are waiting for Western style medicine to find the so call magic bullet. Taken no responsibility in their own health.

Chuchote wrote: »
    Dunno, you'd have to Google that for yourself. I do know that when researchers like Doll & Hill first went looking for a reason for lung cancer having become a common illness, when it had been very rare, they assumed that either car pollution or working with tars on roads were going to be a big factor. The researchers were astonished when they found that smoking, which had been thought to be quite healthy, came up as a huge factor both for lung cancer and for heart disease.

Yes, considering people had smoked for a long time before the '50's, I'm not surprised they were surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Stress.

Totally agree. Meditation, yoga or tai chi chuan would help those with stress immensely.

Yes, considering people had smoked for a long time before the '50's, I'm not surprised they were surprised.

Doll & Hill did a follow-up study over several years using doctors. When the results came out, it had a stunning effect - it was immediately no longer the norm for doctors to smoke; virtually every doctor gave up cigarettes (doctors having before that been a heavy-smoking part of the population).

It's famous as one of the major changes over a wide population as the result of research.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The tobacco itself may have changed over the years though, maybe they used better ( not so radioactive ) fertiliser back then

http://ntr.oxfordjournals.org/content/14/1/79

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/223330887_Alpha_radioactivity_in_tobacco_leaves_Effect_of_fertilizers

People just smoked less. For instance, in 1900s it was normal for a man to go to his smoking room in his smoking jacket and smoking cap to smoke a pipe. One pipe fill.

During World War I men took to smoking cigarettes, which had been only for women before that, and for rather daring women at that. By the 1940s, heavy smoking was common.

gctest50 wrote: »
    The tobacco itself may have changed over the years though, maybe they used better ( not so radioactive ) fertiliser back then

http://ntr.oxfordjournals.org/content/14/1/79

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/223330887_Alpha_radioactivity_in_tobacco_leaves_Effect_of_fertilizers

Just tobacco at first, I suppose.

plus the cigarettes of years ago had no filter tips in them didnt they? i think filter tips came in the 60's or maybe 50's didnt they? - i still see the odd person smoke fags recently without tips in them or have seen them rip the filter tip off and smoke it. when my brother was growing up he smoked those menthol fags ... and bought them from the chemist i think!

• Advertisement

I think there are many things in our environments that cause cancer and other illnesses and someday we will look back on them in the same way we look at baby cots and toys being painted with lead paint in the past. OP already mentions some of them in the OP.

Advertisement