Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portmarnock to City Centre (3 Arena) - Best Options

Options
  • 20-04-2024 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,707 ✭✭✭✭

Morning folks,

Simple question (you'd think) this one but one which as usual our public transport companies seem to want to make as hard as possible.

Need to get from Portmarnock to the City Centre (3 Arena) and back for a concert

Normally I'd just drive (and may yet if there's no better option) but I decided I'd scout out the options. Although I'm from Dublin it's been a long time since I lived there now and used public transport and then never that direction/far out

• The TFI site is a mess and it's suggesting 2 bus transfers via the airport - WTF?
    • The DART option links to a timetable with 6 pages of barely legible text, made worse by the insistence of plastering Irish all over it
    • I think I remember that there was a private bus service at one point as well, or is that from Swords?

So what's my best option? Also need to be able to get back after the gig. Is there a PT choice that won't drive me demented, or should I just drive it/pay for a taxi?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 The Mathematician

It depends on where you are starting in Portmarnock, but I think my preference would be the Dart to Connolly and then Luas to The Point. Especially on the way home, the queueing is very well organised at The Point and you can be sure that you will get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Alternatively, if you're living near the coastline in Portmarnock, you can also take H2 bus then transfer to N4, that terminates near 3 Arena

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Not sure how you're looking up the dart.

Try the Irish rail website and plug in Portmarnock to Dublin Connolly and you'll get a proper timetable up

• Registered Users Posts: 28,707 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thanks folks.

DART looks like the best and least hassle PT option (inbound anyway) but there's at least a 30 minute walk per Google Maps to get to the DART station by the look of it.

What's the situation with parking there? Google suggests about €4.50 for the day. Are there spaces during the day? Is it open late?

Thanks again for the advice so far.

30 mins from Connolly to the point?

It is abit of a trek. I've always walked it but wouldn't have said it was 30 mins maybe 15 but I never timed it. The Luas is an option.

Can't help with parking either in Portmarnock or at the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭p_haugh

I take it they mean it's a 30 minute walk from their house to Portmarnock DART station

Sorry, I mean 30 mins from where I'll be in Portmarnock to the DART station - although it is a bit of a trek at the other end as well alright.

Out of curiosity… what would a taxi (roughly) cost there and back does anyone know? (full trip I mean - Portmarnock to 3 Arena)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,829 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

On a busy concert night the traffic around the East Link area will be bad - if it were me I'd be getting a taxi to the DART in Portmarnock if you don't want the 30 min walk, then DART, then Luas from Busaras.

The only issue might be trying to get a taxi from Portmarnock DART back to your house, but if you're prepared to walk that bit, the rest is very user-friendly. And only €2 each way as you'll be within the 90 mins.

You could always drive to baldoyle and get train at Bayside, you're parking in housing estate so it's free.

Or even Howth junction/donaghmede.

Taxi I think would be around 25/30 but could even be more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

You should consider the bus. The new N4 crosses the Malahide Road and Howth Road every 10/15 minutes and will bring you to the door of 3Arena.

Coming in, take either the 42 or H2 from Portmarnock. If on the 42, get off at Donnycarney Church and take the short walk back to the junction of Collins Avenue to connect to the N4. If you’re taking the H2, hop off at stop 609 or Howth Road and change the N4 at that same stop.

Going home, take the N4 from outside 3Arena. You’ll need to check the real time and timetable for the best connection to Malahide, either the H3 or 42. If switching to the H3, get off the N4 at stop 525 on Howth Road and change the H3 at this stop.
    If you’re connecting to the 42, stay on the N4 until stop 7840, cross over to Malahide Road and change to the 42 opposite Donnycarney Church.

Timetables

N4: https://www.dublinbus.ie/getmedia/51e53dce-f73f-4a13-ae77-bf2093ad6d0f/Route-N4.pdf?ext=.pdf

H2: https://www.dublinbus.ie/getmedia/61032783-8efa-426c-b288-ffbe88f065a0/Route-H2.pdf?ext=.pdf

42: https://www.dublinbus.ie/getmedia/0d8b85de-8353-4cff-a90e-03ae05b945c4/Route-42-Both.pdf?ext=.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 30 The Mathematician

Does anyone have any experience as to how feasible this is after a gig. It is reasonably likely that you would get on the N4?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 reactadabtc

I would walk to the Dart station and get the Luas to the point. On the way home from events I never bother getting the Luas back. I walk to Connolly from The Point and it takes about 15 minutes.

Cheers all. In the end I ended up just getting taxis both ways. Was later heading in than planned anyway and couldn't have been bothered with the hassle and extra time on the way back. Plus I was near crippled anyway after standing for about 6 hours so just wanted to get back!

A lot more expensive and I appreciate all the advice and time taken to post above, but expecting people to do multiple changes and/or walk 20-40 mins both sides of the trip is never going to win out over a car/taxi. I know every trip can't be catered for, but if I had to do that regularly it would drive me crazy.

Advertisement