Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf Half Marathon & 5 Mile July 6th 2024

Options
  • 19-04-2024 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Hey all!

Hoping to run the half on the 6th, haven't run a half marathon before but this course looked nice and flat and decided to bite the bullet and go for it. Anybody have any experience of it/are training for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Trevorfromtheshoppingcentre

Best of luck in the training. I never done these races but I imagine there might be some headwinds involved being by the sea.

Might be a good idea to practice along the coast if you can. I fell way behind my pace group in a 10 mile race last year when the route went out to a bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Always a tricky course with the different surfaces and the wind, there's always wind on that course. It can feel like its in your face both ways so do some beach running in your training and good luck with it. Also get used to pacing yourself on runs as if you go out too fast on the day, it will be a tough finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Consonata

Thanks a million for the tips! Will definitely try and get some long runs out on the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

I've run from the Sheds Pub clontarf to the West Pier in Howth - and back - quite a few times now. That comes to about 20km. So probably useful for the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I think they got rid of the 2 x stretches along the beach, all road now. Unless they're changing back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Yes the 2* Beach sections are now gone. Probably down to the large numbers running and potential for litter…

Anyway solid race no matter what pace you are running. But as some body mentioned above, nearly always a west / South West wind, which would be in the face on the return leg…

Might give it a go myself as it covers most of my training loops…

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Gary_dunne

I've done the half marathon there a couple of times, the November and the July one. Doing it again this year and can confirm what people say above there is always wind. You feel like it's against you on the first half then you turn and realise that it's somehow still against you!

Flat course and always good numbers for it, as long as the temp isn't too warm in July you should be fine with some decent training done before it.

Advertisement