Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climbing plants for shipping container

Options
  • 19-04-2024 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hi all, I have a big shipping container I use for a shed. Any suggestions for evergreen flowering climbers? Also will I need some sort of trellis?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,081 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes you will need trellis, and probably quite sturdy one.

What you plant depends a lot on which way the wall you want to cover faces, be best if you establish this first.

A south or south-west or even west facing side could get hot enough to kill plants in the summer - you only need one very hot day to fry your climber. You might consider putting a sturdy structure based on 2x3 or 2x4 timbers on that side, preferably set away from the metal to leave a gap of a few inches. Remember in winter it will also get very cold, probably too cold for a tender climber.

On other sides you can consider honeysuckle, evergreen clematis, clematis montana, climbing hydrangea, climbing rose.

Don't be tempted to plant Fallopia baldschuanica or Russian Vine - it will completely cover a container, it will also attempt to cover your house and next door's house as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭standardg60

One good evergreen self clinging flowering climber if you can find it is Pileostegia viburnoides.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,081 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I just looked that up and its climbing hydrangea, but it looks very different to the c/h I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭standardg60

It's in the Hydrangea family but a different genus, it has long leathery leaves but the flowers are similar to c/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

Thanks folks lots of ideas there. I’ll get cracking

• Advertisement
Advertisement