Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody used/speced the concrete + poly beads as an insulated floor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Biker1

The 0.043w/mk thermal conductivity says it all. You would need a fair depth to achieve even the backstop u-value in Part L

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Well, that was not the question, however it's on a 300 slab on clay and the BRE calculator gives me 0.15 for 190 mm

so courses for horses😂

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

How did you arrive at that conclusion?
    100mm should exceed me the min without much difficulty. Assuming around .022w/mk then a 200mm slab at .043 would perform better than that again. The minimum for compliance might be 170mm, which is very thin for a slab on ground.

The issue as I can see is the strength not the thermal insulation.

Check the grade quoted above. I understand is that the lightest grade requires a sub-slab. If you have 300mm, you might be better off with the stronger, but less thermal grade. Unless I'm misunderstanding the 300mm slab on clay part.

M, did some more asking : the 300 slab is actually a fully designed reinforced raft foundation slab.

The slab on clay piece is a reference to if in the calculator I change it to rock or crushed stone, it exceeds the 0.15 Part L😀

Have been in touch with the supplier who says the high-grade can work on 804, am exploring for my own reno as am digging out 550

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Biker1

Why are you assuming a thermal conductivity of 0.022w/mk. The declared value is 0.043w/mk. As you can see from the attached pdf 220mm is required to hit a u-value of 0.15w/m2k. There is also a finished screed required on top which means an extra layer of blocks compared to the use of PIR insulation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think you’ve misunderstood my post.

I assumed .022 because that’s the performance of 100mm phenolic insulation using in flooring (eg K3). I was comparing to that (which achieve ~0.16)

A typical slab of 200mm, at a conductivity of .043 exceeds the above (obviously as it’s <2x the conductivity). So I was wondering how you concluded that you’d need a “fair depth” at .043? Given 200mm is a typical slab thickness (which this replaces).

The actual TGD min is 0.18, you’ve achieve that with 170mm.

Edit: ah, I see the issue now. In you calc you’re swapping it in directly for a normal insulation layer. With +225mm other conc/screed build up. In that case I agree, what’s the point.

But I see the application of thermal aggregate being, single layer insulating and structural slabs.

re which means an extra layer of blocks compared to the use of PIR insulation

I dont get this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Tefral

Its used on pretty much every housing estate job im involved in now. They get through some amount of it in a day.

Where do they put the services: eg sewer pipes etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Tefral

In it.

These are the lads i see doing alot of it. You can see whats happening in the videos https://www.linkedin.com/posts/gareth-devlin-7904a5111_a-wet-start-on-site-with-premier-floor-screed-ugcPost-7122170126707118080-H4ea?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop

• Advertisement
Advertisement