Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build after a few years

Options
  • 19-04-2024 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? €1200 max, ideally lower.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Primarily gaming, some personal music production, very light occasional CAD.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Storage, WiFi adapter, and case hopefully, everything else to be replaced.

5. Do you need a monitor? No.

5a. If yes, what size do you need. N/A

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? I have a 2560×1440 Dell QHD monitor with no plans to upgrade.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] No.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No.

8. How can you pay? PayPal /Debit Card/ Online with card.

9. When are you purchasing? Any time from now, but not in a rush.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? No need all good.

Hi all,

Looking for some build advice after a long time with my current one. For context, I built my current PC back in 2016 and it has served me fine since then. It has an i5 4460 with a Gigabyte 6GB 1060 GPU. I made some small upgrades over the years like storage and RAM but otherwise not much. It has more or less met my needs but it's starting to show its age with modern games in particular. I'm not overly fussed on having ultra-high settings with 100FPS, I just need the game to run relatively smoothly at 1080P but I'm finding myself making more and more compromises on performance now even with slightly older games. I don't tend to buy the newest games either, there's a bunch of slightly older stuff I'm still playing through like Shadow of War, the last Tomb Raider game, Elden Ring and things like that; but there are a bunch of newer games out that my computer just can't handle and no amount of waiting will change that so time to upgrade.

I was initially just going to upgrade the CPU and GPU but my motherboard is socket LGA1150 and the best CPU for that is the 4790K which would come in around €230 and still would be a bottleneck for any modern GPU so it just doesn't make sense. So I want a new build but don't want to make the mistake I made last time which was buying older tech. I'd rather go with newer tech with lower spec that leaves more room for upgrades in the future. Any recommendations would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,701 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/bMYqMV

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor (€199.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (€38.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: ASRock B650M-HDV/M.2 Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard (€137.87 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory (€117.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: Zotac Twin Edge GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card (€604.95 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: Asus Prime AP-850G 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€106.04 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €1205.64
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-20 21:49 CEST+0200

Advertisement