Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine replacement under warranty couple of questions

Options
  • 18-04-2024 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭

Got a used car last October that still had a year of its original warranty attached.

Had an issue that resulted in the short block of the engine requiring a replacement, this is covered under warranty.

How will this impact the resale value of the car one way or another?

How long can a dealer have a car, broken down under warranty, before they should be providing a curtosy car, or is it just tough luck? I keep getting fobbed off when i mention it saying they don't have any available, but I'm a month out of pocket now not to mention the tow across country due to a fault with vehicle, not a user fault.

Should I be expecting an extended warranty on the new engine?

Post edited by Guffy on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭kirving

Did you buy the car from a main dealer for that specific brand?

If so, they should absolutely be covering the tow, and also a courtesy car. If you bought it from a third party garage, they still should be doing it IMO, but it gets more complicated.

Say you bought a VW from a Ford dealer/garage - Ford will be bringing the car to VW under warranty, but as a business to business transaction, I don't think they'd be entitled to the additional benefits you as a customer would get.

That's my interpretation - and I agree it isn't satisfactory in the slightest for you, but how I think it works. Happy to be proven wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

No it was a private sale, so I wouldn't have any recourse there.

The fault would have been a sudden catastrophic fault so even if it was with another dealer i don't think it would be on them. There was no issues in the run up to the fault and vehicle had full service history (car was immaculate and well cared for).

While there wasn't a recall, the fault was known by all accounts and was advised upgraded parts would be put in to prevent the fault reoccurring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭User1998

First of all, engine repairs have no impact on resale value whatsoever.

Secondly, a dealer is not responsible for transporting your car to their garage, nor are they required to give you a courtesy car. If they provide either of the above it is simply under goodwill.

And third, no, even if they replaced the entire engine you are not entitled to an extended warranty. The original warranty expiry date does not change.

Ah well.

Cheers for the info, frustrating as it is the lack of actual communication from the dealer is the worst of all. But at least i have an ideas of where i stand on these queries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭goochy

engine repairs may not have an effect on resale but a new engine will - a BMW dealer for instance would not retail one of their own vehicles with a new engine - it would be sold in the trade to used car dealer . i remember seeing a new enough RR SPORT at a fairly low level used car dealer - wondered how it ended up there - then spotted it had - had a new engine fitted .

people dont like cars with a story - not trying to scare you - just you might get compensation for resale loss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ferg01

FWIW for the OP, I’m humming and hawing about buying a new car. I’m looking at some JLR stuff and for me, I’d be more comfortable with one with a new engine given the number of failed units. From some of the stuff I’ve seen the new engine has a seperate warranty but User1998 is definitely more informed than I am on these things!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭User1998

As far as I’m aware, you only get warranty on a new engine/part if you paid for it out of your own pocket. But if the car is under warranty and you get it replaced free of charge then your warranty is only valid until the original warranty expiry date.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Yep - you dont get warranty on warranty - it dies with the manufacturers warranty end date.

However if you pay for any related part of the repair you will get a years warranty on the job (sometimes 2 years). So for example you got an engine block fitted but you paid for a cylinder head overhaul - then you`d get warranty.

A big one is flywheels - if the manufacturer pays for a new flywheel and you pay for a new clutch at the time then the whole job is covered under a years warranty. One of the reasons I always recommend a customer getting a flywheel under warranty to pay for a new clutch kit.

Its also one of the reason why some manufacturers dont do goodwill or cover a percentage of the total claim - because the customer has made a contribution to the repair and the manufacturer is on the hook for warranty on the entire job.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ferg01

Yes, I think that’s correct when manufacturer pays. One of the replacement engine jobs I looked at, the customer paid a substantial chunk and in that instance, he got it under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

that’s awfull on the garage . I didn’t even buy my almost new seat ( back then) from my garage and as the car (now4 years old) has always been serviced with seat . The VW assist program provide me with a car( as long as my car is serviced with them) . This week I’ve had a rental for a week as a radiator burst . It pays for itself over time and when you really need it it’s there for you .

• Advertisement

Worst experience I've ever had not going to lie. Will sell car when i get it back and never be buying that brand again.

Advertisement