Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

An electric estate

Options
  • 18-04-2024 7:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭

Wondering if this deserves its own thread. Those of us with young families and all the accompanying paraphernalia are mainly limited to SUVs. I would like something that’s lower, sleek and efficient. Started this thread so we can add more practical non suv cars here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

Just spotted this. Available in electric at a fairly reasonable price of 37 k. 54 kWh battery. 

Not a designed from the ground up EV though. Not sure how the Peugeots are for efficiency or charging speed.

Then we have the MG5 which seems to be available at a discounted price at the moment.

Next we have the BMW i5 Touring. Starts at 85,000. This has an 84 kWh battery.

The VW ID.7 Tourer. 77 or 86? kWh batteries available. Irish pricing not available yet. But likely to be high 50s

Finally the Audi A6 Avant etron is due for release this year. Not much information on it yet but going to be a premium price too.

• Advertisement

That’s all for now. Please add to thread if you see anything else. There’s definitely a gap in the market there between very basic battery and spec and premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

There is an Astra "sports tourer" Ev available in Europe anyways, can't see if it's available here though. (Website seems to bug out when I try configure it to see what price the EV version is, if it's even offered here)

Also not sure how similar it will be to the 308 as they are both Stellantis

Almost exactly the same I’d say. Stellantis definitely taking a different approach to the other big car makers. Hedging their bets.

Up to recently we had two ICE Astra estates as our two cars. I originally bought the first one 11 years ago because it was the cheapest 08 diesel car I could get, has no intention of getting an estate, and it turned out to be a very happy accident, because we found it so practical when my wife was changing car a few years later, an estate was a must.

We replaced the first one earlier this year with a Hyundai ioniq 38 and probably our biggest complaint about it is the boot capacity (really the height) compared to the astra. We have a couple of big dogs that would fit in the ioniq if needed, but definitely not ideal.

But as a combination, one estate and one efficient EV is working out pretty well. On journeys we need the space or the range we can just bring the Astra, for all other scenarios we bring the ioniq.

I think we are happy enough for the moment, but if we were replacing the ioniq in the future, I think my wife would be happier with an estate as the "main" car

Have you tried the mg5 @fits ? I see in the id3 thread that you aren't a fan. We haven't gone looking at one or anything but at least on paper it would definitely be on the short list and just wondering what you thought of it. It's a bit short list of potential options as the BMW and Audi's of the world would be out of our price range for sure!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Bjorn done some vids with the astra recently and I do like the look of it, its very efficient but battery is small compared to other new cars and I felt the tech in general was more like something form a 5 year old EV.

Supposedly there will be an estate version of the MG4 coming soon, possibly replacing the 5.

• Advertisement

The German cars are out of my price range too. Maybe used a few years down the line as we’ve had mercs and Audis before moving to EV.

I looked at MG5 and just felt it was a step down from our ID.3 ( which has very high spec). It’s a bit plasticky. I think whatever comes next is going to be a step down whatever we do. It’s probably worth a test drive all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,861 ✭✭✭Soarer

I'm not a tall chap (5'9"), but when I sat into the back of the MG5 in the showroom, I cracked my head off the roof! Whatever the slope is designed, just caught me right in the side of the head!

Not that I'd be sitting in the back much, but that instantly excluded that car for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

I can't believe Volvo did not release eV60 or eV90 estates!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Love the thread OP. And love that A6. No doubt the starting will be well into 80s. Which is very disappointing tbh.

Bring back estates I say start knocking the inefficient SUV craze on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,868 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'd definitely want the bigger battery for something this. My view of an estate is for loading up with holiday stuff and driving to the south of France

54kWh in a big heavy car isn't going to cut it I reckon. Pretty sure Stellantis have a bigger battery for their cars but I don't know if it's going to be available here

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 10,868 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

There was a comment recently about the ID.7 that it was similar height to the ID.4 and was more like an SUV as a result

Until the batteries get thinner I'm not sure we'll see a lot of "true" estates

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I’ve seen an id7 up close. It’s definitely not like an suv at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Garzard

MG are meant be releasing an estate MG4, which is a good thing. But it's a massive shame there aren't any plans for this with the Model 3 or Seal for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭innrain

• Advertisement

The more modern estates seems to slope the back window more and more. I'm sure it's probably good for aero,and it looks nice but it does take away from the practicality of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭3d4life

The lady next door has an Enyaq. It strikes me as a big big lump of a car. It seems ( dimensions may prove otherwise ) to be much bigger than an ID4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭sh81722

That colour and shape reminds me of 60's-70's SAAB 95. That not a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Just to say the Enyaq is based on the same chassis as the ID4 so it's not much bigger. I drive one & have been in an ID4 multiple times & they are similar size. The Enyaq is a little longer (bigger boot) but been driving since Sep & it's not a lump to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

How close to the concepts do we think the A6 will be? Concepts look absolutely fantastic in both body styles, the spy shots don't !

• Advertisement

Tbf to Audi their design language has been spot on last few years.

Advertisement