Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi solar lights on sale tomorrow

Options
  • 17-04-2024 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone used the solar lights that are going on sale in Aldi tomorrow (I'm assuming they've appeared in middle aisles previously).

I bought a wired set in Lidl (I think) last year, and they all went dim fairly quickly, then died one by one.

Are the solar ones even more useless, or would they be worth a punt?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

The string lights or the stick lights?

The string ones tend to be much of a muchness. I can recommend putting clear silicone around the edge of the solar panel to make it more waterproof (I've had them die through leaking eventually, the replacement is going strong much longer).

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ShadowSA

Always found it weird, they come in when it's summer and light outside till late, rather need them in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭jj880

As someone with a missus who buys these just before Summer I can confirm it's because her friends and herself will actually have a chance to sit out amongst the lights of a Summer's eve when it's not baltic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,073 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you actually 'need' light these will not suffice, also you need the brightness of summer days to charge the solar panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Yes

I think they're more for decoration/atmosphere than actual practical lighting! That's what I want them for anyway.

I'd just like them to last a bit longer than a few weeks.... and it's the string I'd be buying.

I really thought a wired set would last the pace, which is why I'm hesitating over solar ones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement