Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on house types

Options
  • 16-04-2024 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We're looking into buying a semi detached new build, however there are 2 types of semi detached houses (Types D and E) and we're not sure which one to go for, therefore it will be great to get your thoughts on which one is the best.

We're thinking about going for House type D mostly because the 3rd bedroom is larger, however we're not really sure as house type E appears to be longer and has more overall space.

Also the front of the houses appears to be different but I'm not sure if it will make any difference internally. It appears that the front windows will be standing out in Type D (by 0.657m) which appears to be wasted space?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

D all the way. You'll be spending a lot of time in the living room, and the proportions are much better than E, which is only 3.3m wide. Too narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭89897

D for sure, Bigger 3rd bedroom, bigger utility and bigger lounge, which is not as narrow. The utility being bigger for me is what would sell it. They fill up super quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,060 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The overall size of type E is a tiny bit bigger (111.9 sq m as opposed to 111.5 sq m) but type E is longer and narrower than type D. Generally the nearer to square a house is, the more flexible you can be with the use of the interior space, and so the more efficiently you can use it. And so it is here; I haven't measured it, but Type E seems to devote a greater proportion of the interior space to hallway, stairs, landing and correspondingly less to usable rooms. And, again, the rooms themselves tend to be a bit longer and narrower in type E than in type D (with one exception, see below) which means you'll have a bit more more flexibility over the way you use the rooms, arrange the furniture, etc. in type D.

Type E does look as though it might have a larger usable attic space, because of the hipped roof over the front bedrooms. I wouldn't attach much value to that, myself. But it also has the better (larger, squarer) kitchen/dining space. If you see that space as more important than the lounge, that might make you consider type E.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

also consider which way the garden faces. South or south west facing rear garden is the pick for afternoon evening sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Type D:

It appears that the front windows will be standing out in Type D (by 0.657m) which appears to be wasted space?

I wouldn't think it was wasted space? It could be an ideal space for a desk setup, if anyone was working from home ? Or at Christmas you have a perfect space in your lounge for a christmas tree! l

Utility / Dining room seems better used as well in D.

E's dining room has a more odd shaped space and a smaller utility room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭_H80_GHT

D for me too. Bay windows a lovely feature to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dennyk

Doesn't appear to be a bay window, but rather a flat window set in an alcove, so not quite as nice. There are still ways to make some use of that space, though, like a window seat with storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

House type D for better proportioned rooms and nice window feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts! Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

OP, not the question you asked.

But if you can, pick a house that's in a cul de sac. No passing cars.

Opposite a green if you have or plan to have kids.

Sunlight in the back garden. No big huge trees behind.

I can't tell from the drawing, if one is render and the other a brick finish. I would take the brick.

Render gets grubby really quick in Ireland unless you softwash.

Happy house buying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

If I may add to the advice above about buying opposite a green…

I would advise against buying directly opposite a green. As you'll spend all summer with balls being kicked into your garden (and bounced off you car if you have one).

Green adjacent, would be better! As in end of the terrace, close enough to see kids on the green, but not directly overlooking it. :)

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Kurooi

With the roof line of E I wonder are you in for a bit extra space in the attic, especially if a conversion is on the plate down the line. No idea. Just wondering.

Layout wise they're very similar. I'd lean E because of the kitchen (more cabinets)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

We're definitely planning to go for an attic conversion as soon as we get the keys to our house.

Here are the measurements of the attic (for both house types)

Do you think that it's good enough for an attic conversion? We mostly plan to use the attic as an office.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Is it constructed of roof trusses or cut timber?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭pleh

With Type E you can comfortably add an additional two chairs to the kitchen table, good for dinner parties, etc also i think i prefer a larger kitchen, heart of the home, and all that so I would pick E. I have an American fridge freezer that sticks out too much into my kitchen and is one of the reasons i'd like to extend my own.

The smaller box room wouldnt bother me i think people expect these nowadays. I like the idea to add value or at least for that to be possible, so ability to do an attic conversion is a plus for me.

Advertisement