Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can another Driver ask for someone's name and/or driving licence number?

Options
  • 16-04-2024 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

So my sister had an issue last week. 15km zone around a retail park. She followed car in front of her crossing a road without noticing Yield sign. She and car from right had to break to avoid a collision…both moved off.

After parking the other driver came up to her shouting she was "going to report you" and taking pictures. Even asked for my sister's name and licence number. My sister told them since there was no accident she didn't have to share anything with her.

Near misses like this happen every day and people move on with their day. This happened to be in a 15km zone so any collision would have been minor anyway. However my sister would have no issue accepting the fine and 3 penalty points if the guards do contact her.

My question is about the actions of the other driver. In the absence of an actual accident, do they have any right to ask for a name and driving license number or is that illegal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

How would it be illegal to ask someone for their name and license number?

Your sister doesn't have to provide it.

She should be more concerned that she doesn't pay attention when driving. Following a car in front of her, and not noticing a traffic sign is dangerous driving. Hopefully it was a once off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

They can ask. You don't have to tell them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 enola1986

More like demand than ask. Well we have guards for a reason who we give powers to be able to demand such information from people. We don't give that power to ordinary people. Personally I do think it should be illegal for normal people to demand a driving license from someone because they think you broke the rules of the road (in the absence of an accident at least), or to walk around the streets demanding to see people's passports because they suspect they are here illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 enola1986

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭eggy81

Sounds like she encountered a Karen in their natural habitat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Is this even a Garda matter? It's my understanding that speed limits are 50, 80, 100 and 120, with options for special speed limits of 30 and 60. A road around a retail park isn't a normal public road and it has a non-standard speed limit. Can the Gardai even give fines and points?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If the public have access then most road traffic legislation applies. She could be done for driving without due care and attention.

not one they’d be bothered with because it’s a big bag of nothing happened. Idiots being idiots.

As for the OP yeah someone can demand anything they want. They can’t force you to hand over the info so just tell them to kindly F off.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

You can ask for anything you like...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The speed limit is a bit of a red herring here; the driver's offence was not speeding but failure to yield.

In general the road traffic act rules apply on any road to which the public has access, whether by right or by invitation. It is irrelevant who owns the land over which the road runs, or who maintains the road. The policy reasons for setting things up this way are obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

As others have said, in this instance someone can ask but you don’t need to provide your details. If they have a problem with that they can use the reg number if they really feel that strongly about following it up with guards. This is a complete non event and only an idiot would waste time and energy pursuing it. We all make mistakes on the road and hopefully learn from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭chrisd2019

Your sister need to be concerned about not noticing the yield sign, luck escape, the other driver can ask for anything, but unless identified as a Garda you need not provide it. In a public place you can take a photo of anything you wish.

Advertisement