Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exercise testing and post exercise recovery

Options
  • 16-04-2024 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Good afternoon,

My name is Kristaps Antins. I am a physiotherapist currently studying for an MSc in Sports and Exercise Medicine at Trinity College Dublin. I am undertaking a research project under the supervision of Dr Neil Fleming. The study requires the participation of cyclists or triathletes who are cycling more than 150 minutes per week. The study aims to determine if Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation (NMES) applied during active recovery can enhance lactate clearance from the exercising muscles. The research study will involve participants between the ages of 18 and 40 years. The study consists of 4 visits to the lab, with each visit including a VO2 max test and 25-minute recovery. Upon completion, you will receive the results of your VO2 max testing, individualized training prescription, and a gift card valued at €80.

If you would like more information, please contact me at the details below. I look forward to hearing from you!

Email: antik@tcd.ie

Phone: +353 834133527

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yet another reason to curse being so bloody old! I'd be 100% in if the age limit was 50!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Me too. I reckon they'll have to change the restrictions. 99% of the cyclists in Ireland doing over 150 mins a week are over 40! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

just a couple of points about using well trained athletes and having personal experience of doing a lab based bike Vo2 max - I don’t think a Vo2 max test is going to raise lactate levels to a significant enough level compared to spending a prolonged time above LT2. Also well trained cyclists will recover from that effort in about 5 minutes regardless of recovery method meaning it will be difficult to infer if different recovery methods make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Ah sure I'm only 4 months off 67, anyone interested in doing research on benefits of over 65's cycling 🤣😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

60 is the new 40 Kristaps!Seriously though FOUR free VO2 max tests AND they pay you 80 euro !!!Heck of a deal !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I remember this course well. Maybe speak to Nick about extending the age parameters a liitle @antins270?

Advertisement