Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW YORK JUST OVER 24 HOURS

Options
  • 16-04-2024 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

I am goin to be in New York for 2 nights. I arrive evening time and will stay with friends in Yonkers on the first night but intend to stay in a hotel central to try and see a few spots the next day and the following morning before heading back to Philadelphia that day.

Where would someone recommend to stay? Hotel central that is affordable and nice. Close to some site seeing. Interested in 9/11 monument, central park times square at night. What's the best way to get around? Subway? Open top bus? Maybe visit some casual nightlife too. Any tips on this?

Also need to get back to Philadelphia during the day - what's the quickest most affordable way of doing that?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

Midtown Manhattan & affordable will be pushing it I would expect. NYC hotels are usually not what you might call affordable.

We stayed around 38th Street (Arlo Midtown) which is very close to Time Square, Central Park & Bryant Park

9/11 Memorial is the bottom end of Manhattan (as is Wall Street, Stone Street etc.) but walkable (down through SoHo) or take the subway

You could take the free ferry from downtown to Staten Island to catch the Statue of Liberty & get the fast ferry (cheap but not free) back to 39th Street along the Hudson for great skyline views. Short walk from there to Hudson Yards (Vessel & Edge NYC)

Bus/coach seem to be the easiest option to get to Philly. Midtown is home to the Port Authority transit hub where you can get the Greyhound or there's the Megabus from Hudson Yards which goes every hour

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

There are 2 of us sharing so hoping splitting the cost might leave it ok. will check hotels in the location.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Don't know what your budget is, but we stayed in the Broadway Plaza hotel last year and found it good value compared to a lot of what was on offer. It's not far from the Empire State Building and Penn Station, where you can get a train from to Philadelphia. There's a subway station a block or two away, so it's easy to get around from there. If you're getting a train to Philadelphia, book on Amtrak as early in advance as you can because there are some good deals but prices can increase quite a bit the longer you leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Thats a nice hotel - only one room left on the night I need and its a suite so too much unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

Arlo in SoHo is further towards downtown bit also looks nice. We looked at a heap of hotels. Originally looked at the Evelyn beside Madison Square Park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GeneralSherman

Check out the hotel deals on Groupon New York.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I got the Megabus from NYC to Philadelphia. It cost $8 one way.

Advertisement