Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoMo poor internet speeds - configuration advice

Options
  • 15-04-2024 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have an unlocked huawei router with a gomo simcard. I'm getting strange behaviour in relation to internet speeds when compared with my phone data internet speeds (phone is android and also on gomo network).

I've tested the huawei device in various locations throughout the house and finally settled on the optimal position based on speed test results. However the download performance fluctuates between a 50 MBps and below 1 MBps in the one day (often worse in the evening). The part I dont understand is that when the performance is low the speedtest from same location on my phone is consistently good (ie. device speed test last night was 1.34 Mbps and phone was 44.7 Mbps.

I used an application called opensignal on my phone to check which mast I am connected to both on and off the wifi and it appears to be the same.

Both devices are

• on the same network (gomo)
    • connected to the same mast (as far as I can tell)
    • in the same physical location in the house (by a south facing window)
    • both appear to be on 4g
    • performance from phone is always consistently good but performance from router fluctuates drastically

I'm thinking its an issue with the device itself (B535-232). I have checked APN settings and they seem fine (pointed to broadband.mymeteor.ie) Found below blog stating this would be expected for Gomo.https://editorsean.com/articles/irish-mobile-broadband-sim-card-apn-settings/comment-page-1/

I checked and the device firmware is up to date.

Does anyone have experience with these huawei devices and know of any configuration that could be impacting the speed intermittently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KildareP

4G/5G can use a feature called carrier aggregation where it combines multiple frequencies or bands together for higher bandwidth.

If I recall the B535 can only aggregate two 4G carriers, whereas most modern phones can do more (and so your phone has access to more bandwidth from the mast than the modem).

As a first step, try setting the B535 to use data.myeirmobile.ie as the APN, setting it default, reboot the modem and see how you get on.

If it's still going slow, check the modem is in fact on 4G and hasn't dropped down to 3G.

Other than that then a more modern modem is your only way, the B535 is a bit behind at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 drodgers

thanks for suggestions, will give it a try. Interesting about the carrier aggregation, I wasnt aware of that

Advertisement