Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Older applications for cadets/ army

Options
  • 13-04-2024 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Has there been many older applicants since they raised the age limit to 39? I only found out about this last night. Would I be mad to apply in my mid 30's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SteKelly1995

Hi Brian, I'm not quite as far gone as yourself but I'm 29 this year with 2 kids and have went through the whole recruitment process and got notification last week that I passed my medical so just awaiting a date.

I wouldn't say your 'mad', if it's something you really want to do I would say don't even think twice about it considering how much better the money has gotten (approx 440€ during 2 star training but living on barracks with all meals included etc, then 555€ approx for another 12 weeks on your 3 star course then onto your first step on the 3 star ladder at €39,000 per year which is around €724 approx and then upwards in increments each year), greater opportunities now with overseas missions (anywhere from 15k upwards tax free on-top of your wages)

Plenty of ways to further your education etc also with paid university courses.

I've done a couple months with the reserves while I was doing my PDF application to get upto speed with basic soldiering like foot drill and understand different commands to help with the integration into life potentially as a recruit which I found great so far and would highly recommend and the reserves are completely fine with you running both applications.

The PDF recruitment is quite fast in fairness I applied in late November and has all my online testing, fitness test, interview and medicals done by early March so it's fairly on the ball.

My opinion is you get what you want from the whole experience and the commitment is 5 years minimum so you can put yourself forward for as much or little as you like and make what you want of those 5 years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭vswr

I'm just wondering how many they actually take on and put through courses…

I know many people now who have gone through enlisted and commissioned routes, and they always say they have been passed up for one course or another due to age, years left, nepotism, pettiness…. etc…

It would be hard for someone to come in with "real world" experience and start coming up against those types of barriers, that plenty know as the "military way"..

Reckon there'll be may aged 30+ pilots selected (without previous experience) ?

Advertisement