Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using E-sim in Canada

Options
  • 12-04-2024 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I'm going to eastern Canada next month for about 10 days. Would like to have access to data while I'm out and about (for google maps, accessing online bookings etc). I read a recommendation to get a local e-sim and I've downloaded the Airalo app which is recommending Tuque mobile- seems good value at US$11 for 2GB.

I have an iPhone SE and this supports an e-sim. I'm wondering, is it easy to switch from my normal sim (I have a sim only package with Eir) to using the e-sim? And if I switch, does this mean that I won't receive normal texts to my phone? (presumably what's app will work ok with the e-sim)

There's a complication that my bank won't take a "travel advice" from me and their app says that if they're concerned they will send me a text to confirm and transactions before they'll let them through! (I intend using Revolut a lot but would still like the option of using my bank card and credit card if I need to).

Any advice appreciated!!!

Best Answers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

If you're on iphone, you can set the esim just for data. I assume android is the same.

I use airalo a lot, but im in mexico at the moment and used holafly as it had an unlimited option.

Telus and rogers you can also just buy an esim from direct and i assume Bell too.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭BolloxChop

I used GoMoWorld esim last year when I travelled to the states for about 10 days. Worked flawlessly on my Xperia 1 V. All apps worked as they should including revolut and my PTSB app. If I remember rightly I just made sure to deactivate mobile data on my virgin media SIM. Had no issues and no massive bills when I got home.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭majo

I think the issue is that my bank will send me an actual sms if they're querying a transaction (rather than an in app notification). I'll check that out with them. Also thinking that 2GB isn't much data for 10 days (we will have hotel wifi in the evenings though it may be rubbish). I think I'll go for 5GB package instead.

Just wondering, when I install the e-sim on my iPhone SE, is it simple enough to switch to/from using my normal (Irish) physical sim to using the Canadian e-sim? I'd need to be able to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

You should be able to set the iPhone to use the eir SIM for voice and text and the e-sim for data. AT least you can do this on Android devices

Thanks for that suggestion. I've googled it there and it seems my phone can do that. Looks a bit complicated though!! My tech competency isn't amazing- will have to investigate further as don't want to end up in Canada with nothing working at all!!!

Advertisement