Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madrid - Where to stay for 4 nights?

Options
  • 11-04-2024 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Considering Madrid Oct 11 - 15 (arrive 10:30am on Oct 11th, depart 11:15am Oct 15th).

We haven't done any research yet, this is just a thought as it's a city we've not been to before.

I'm starting to look at accommodation and as usual, it's a bit overwhelming. We are avid walkers, but would prefer to stay somewhere close to the nightlife, so we have a short stagger home at night… we'd prefer to leave the long walks to the daytime, and easy to get home at night.

We're not into 5star as we spend very little time in hotels; our idea of a city break is about being out and about, but a rootop terrace/bar is always welcome.

Main thing for us is a clean hotel in a good location. Haven't a clue what prices are like in Madrid, but something about €100-€120 would be ideal.

We wouldn't throw the idea of an apartment / Air BnB (Did that in Krakow and worked well).

Any advise etc. very much appreciated!

On a side note, I notice that Ryanair fly into T1… you have to shuttle to T4 to get the train into the city…. or is there a more convenient bus? Again, i've only started Googling so don't have any information to hand yet!

Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Central Madrid is very walkable. You can get a 10 journey bus/metro ticket for 6.10 plus 2.50 for the reusable card in vending machines in the metro. That’s a 50% covid discount that I think runs until year end. There’s also a tourist ticket that gives unlimited daily travel but it’s not worth the extra cost. Taking the metro from the airport has an extra supplement of 3€. You can get it from T1 where Ryanair land, it’s a 7-8 min walk from where you exit security. There’s also an express bus to the centre (Cibeles) that costs around a fiver. If there’s a few of you a taxi can be worth it as it’s a fixed fee to anywhere in the centre. I think it’s 30-33 €

Hotels will probably cost you a bit more than 120€ unless you go a bit further from the centre. There are loads of airbnbs in LaLatina, Sol, Tribunal areas.

October 12 is a national holiday and there’s usually a big military parade with cavalry, troops, armour, flyover etc up the Castellana and the King attends the ceremony. Well worth a look for the pageantry.

Mid october is usually international break for football so you’re unlikely to get to a Laliga match

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Many thanks - especially for pointing out that Oct 12 is a national holiday - accommodation is a bit wild in Madrid that weekend - some private rooms in hostels over €200… think we'll go the weekend before or after.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Discod

Central Madrid is very walkable,but I recommend booking a hotel in the center, Malasaña area is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭johnire

Hi there. We stayed for a week in the Petit Palace Preciados back in March. It’s quite literally a three minute walk from Sol metro stop which in turn is handy for the airport. We got a great price at the time and I’d highly recommend it. We had a gorgeous room and the breakfast was spot on. We were in Madrid in 2019 as well and stayed in the Ibis Styles Prado and again it was lovely but this time around it was really expensive so that’s what prompted me to research other places and ended up finding the Preciados. I think the Petit Palace is a chain and there are others in Madrid. In terms of location this one was excellent. You’ll really enjoy Madrid- it’s beautiful and tonnes to do including day trips. Message me if you want to know anything else.

Advertisement