Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preliminary tax questions

Options
  • 10-04-2024 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I am self-employed and due to retire in the summer, after which point my business will be closed and I will no longer be trading. I pay tax and PRSI etc. retrospectively every November through ROS. I usually pay preliminary tax at 100% of the previous year, i.e. the one I am filing for. I am wondering will I still have to pay it once I am no longer trading? I presume I will have to pay it this year as that will be for 2024 as part of my 2023 return. However, what about the following year and subsequent years? If so, I presume I could pay 90% of the current year’s estimated income from pensions? Is that right? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Xander10

If you can work out your projected income for 2024 you should be able to make a reasonable estimate of preliminary tax for 2024, probably lower than the 100% of 2023 liability.

Whether you will have to file a form 11 thereafter and remain a chargeable person, will depend on what streams of income you will have after retiring

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭MarcusMaximus

Well I base my returns on the accounting year September to August so I will be able to predict my liability for 2024 based on 2023, which is what I usually do. It’s the following year I am wondering about, when I will have no income from the business. I will pay whatever balance there is left for 2024, unless it’s a refund, and then I would usually add the p. tax for 2025. From what you say, whether or not I will have to do that and continue to do so will depend on those income streams, which will consist of pensions only, none of them huge but hopefully enough.🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭scheister

alot will depend on what you do following retirement. If you are no longer a chargeable person deregsiter for Income tax from 31/12/24 and therefore you should not need to pay any PT for 2025. When filing in October 2025 only payment will be balance of 2024.

If you are still a chargeable person post retirement pay 2025 PT based on 2025 amount not 2024.

Great thank you. I don't plan to work beyond August this year, rather I will be spending my time on some creative pursuits which won't earn me any income. So all my income will be from pensions. Does that mean I will no longer be a chargeable person?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭scheister

If all your income is from pensions taxed at source you will no longer be a chargeable person. You may need to file a Form 12 if you credits to claim such as medical expenses or if your income is taxed over a few pensions as credits wont align in most cases

• Advertisement

Well I will have a couple of private pension funds as well as both the Irish and UK state pensions. Only the private funds will be taxed at source afaik so perhaps I will remain chargeable in that case? I'll look into the form 12 for the credits thanks.

Advertisement