Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faro car rental recommendations Portugal

Options
  • 10-04-2024 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have a recommendation for car rental in or around Faro?

My cousin had a horror story last year. He Rented a car and when he went to return it, an inspection mirror was produced and damage under the car was "found", which cost him.

I'd like to avoid this if possible!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭piaget

Used Luzcar in 2021, no problems and comes with full insurance no excess. Pickup in the carpark and do all the paperwork there.

Had a Seat Arona auto which felt a bit small for 4 but that was car in that bracket.

https://www.luzcar.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Sheedy234

I use zest car rental and take out there zero excess insurance . I have had no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭alanc2003

I used centauro a couple of weeks ago. Its a shuttle bus from the carpark 4 to their base, about a 5 min or so drive. They do full excess insurance and free extra driver when i booked and very reasonably priced. We actually ended up booking two cars as it was cheaper then renting a 7 seater

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pale rider

used Hertz in February, car was 6 months old with various marks, all were highlighted on their form, it’s essential you take your time and video the complete car closely including the inside, same upon return.

Had no issues and rebooked with them for June this year, some very poor reviews of providers so do follow those reviews to minimize issues. If it’s too cheap to hire versus rivals then I expect these cheaper providers will try it on if they can.

Don’t go cheap and do have excess insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭peter4918

+1 for Luzcar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Esho

Thanks folks. I'll check these out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

We have used Hertz in Portugal as well with zero issues, very good company to deal with.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Don't go near the big companies!

As mentioned, Zest is great. Used it on 6 or 7 occasions and top notch. I've used a couple of different companies on it but I like Luzcar, as they have a 'No deposit' option as well. Plus, baby seats/boosters are free. They are located in Car Park 4, come out of the terminal and go left. You'll see a couple of white pre-fabs which the smaller companies use (Luzcar, TravelRent etc).

Fair fuel policy as well.

Also, the car may have a few miles on it and a scratch or bump but nothing to worry about. They aren't in the business of screwing people.

Great thanks. It's the being screwed bit I'd like to avoid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Summitatem

Sixt are decent in Faro. Small chips and dings aren't considered damage.....they do a full walk around the car with you when you collect it also which is a nice touch imo.

Currently in a Sixt VW polo that was €80 for 5 days.

I've a annual excess insurance policy that's €50 which I claimed off once a few years ago. I'd recommend that to everyone renting .....great value if you rent a few times a year. I typically rent a car 4 times at least per annum so it's €12.50 per trip.

The rental companies own insurance with no excess is prohibitively expensive IMO

The claim was €1600 and it was just filling in a form. Had the money before my credit card bill was due.

Most horror stories are largely bullsh1t imo insofar as folk have actually damaged the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I was there a few weeks ago, I rented off thrifty , which use the hertz office and staff.

I had a ford focus for under 70 euro for 6days, no issues and the car was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 boarjosh

I'm planning a trip to Portugal next year, and while I initially considered driving myself, my research highlighted the efficiency of the public transport system and the high fuel prices, making renting a vehicle less appealing. Although I haven't visited Portugal yet to confirm this firsthand, I'm intrigued by the convenience of the public transportation options. For example, the Lisboa Card https://www.lisbonportugaltourism.com/lisboa-card.html offers unlimited rides on public transport in Lisbon and trains to Cascais and Sintra, saving both money and time. Additionally, I came across this comprehensive article https://gowithguide.com/blog/tourism-in-portugal-statistics-2023-the-ultimate-guide-5600 that covers essential information for exploring Portugal, providing a well-rounded guide for my upcoming journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 coupons1987

Used Luzcar a couple of years ago and found them honest and decent value.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

We used hertz via a broker (and I can't remember the name!) and one of the primary reasons was that the time we were landing put us in danger of possibly missing the closing time of any of the cheaper places situated outside the airport. I think we were due to land at a time that many were already closed and others would close within an hour, so the opening hours of the business may be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Sheedy234

In Algarve at the moment. Used zest car rentals as always and rent auto is the company. Hassle free I always pay for the extra insurance . 5 days car hire full insurance and toll transponder for 150 euro can't complain with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭tskk

We used Zitauto a few times. No problems. Very reasonable and always new cars.

Advertisement