Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef grazing 2024

Options
  • 02-04-2024 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭

Real struggle this year. Never had so many cattle in so late. We had about 25 out since early March although some had to go into a scarfice area until the middle of last week. Since then we have moved on.

Left 13 out last Thursday, 10 more on Saturday, another 9 yesterday and about 20 odd today. They are shattered all over the place anywhere that is dry.

Spread 3 big bags of Urea yesterday and will put out another bag in the next week, again anywhere that is dry enough to take it.

It's time to be getting on with it. Hopefully fortune favours the brave.

Slava Ukrainii

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Struggle is an understatement of the current situation. Its a battle between in and out. Have one group of yearling heifers who went out for the 3rd time on Thursday. All stock were stood off for most of last week.

No fert out at all but hope to hit some spots this week with urea.

Store bullocks, finishing bullocks and cows are still in. With the weather i sorted thru bullocks and picked out 4 more that were destined for grass only to switch them to finish out of the shed.

A tough winter and spring is an understatement for what has gone on since late june.

Post edited by mr.stonewall on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,272 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Can't see anything out here for another 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

All cattle going out here in the next 2 days,..ground seems OK today

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Conversations 3

7 animals out, suckler cows and calf's grazing off the silage ground.

The other 60 in the sheds, I'll have to let the lightest out this weekend.

Not a sniff of fertilizer or slurry out, tanks are nearly at the slats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Dozer1

21 heifers out Saturday for the 2nd time the handful of sucklers calving go out as they calve. Ground is just about OK but it'll take s good rub of the Harrow to level later.

Aim to let off autumn calvers tomorrow and weanlings out by Saturday. Gave up putting out weanlings first as they just keep bloody walking when the weather is unsettled

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

2 groups out here and 1 back into sacrifice paddock this evening. All yearlings apart from 3 x 24-month heifers.

Spread 1 bag CAN/acre on 10 acres grazed earlier today. Not too much damage done to them after on-off grazing all along but not much regrowth either. There’s a purple tinge to the grass from the wind we’re getting.

Very few cattle out around me. Apparently here in the south-east has got more rain than everywhere else over the past 12 months. Lashing here again now

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭50HX

Heaviest are out on v dry but rocky 5 acres, plenty of grass on it but they are mowing thru it.…all water

The remainder are still in, down to the last week of feed...back end last year caught me

Can't see stock thriving til 3rd week of month at earliest now so I've gotten a good rate for silage ground to rent it out

Will keep stock numbers at present rate & bale up excess grass at 6-8weeks weather permitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭kk.man

Passed the Ballon area of Co Carlow this evening. Finest tillage ground in the county and nothing ploughed. Stubble fields lying in water in places. A total disaster of a spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

We're they on restricted silage for 2 weeks before turning out and hungry before going out. As well into what sort of covers did they go.

Slava Ukrainii

I can feed back and front of some pens so any cattle going out are only given a restricted allowance, prob6about 50-60% of what they would normally consume. It means they are hungry going out.

Ideally leave them.out in a fairly bare paddock for first 2-3 days that mea s they have to work to get a full belly. They then lie down to chew the cud and do not do half the walking, rooting or tearing.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Do you mean a chain harrow or disk harrow? I might have to do something similar here and don't really want to use a roller.

I've a Palatine tine harrow, (long term will put an air seeder on it) a few runs in the right conditions should help

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ESetter

Same as here, midwest, never seen dry land so waterlogged, all going in again tonight before the floods that are promised, have 25 bales of hay on standby. Cattle in since mid october, normally we get a 4 mth winter

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

I have one too, mighty job, I have the seeder fitter , I'd say it will get plenty use this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭nhg

Had an airseeder fitted to our Rakeman 3000 but sold the airseeder and replaced it with a guttler seeder - no comparison…..

Serious money but we’ll worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭Seadin

I have no cattle out yet. I have about 14 bales of silage left. Using around 3 bales a week with strong weanlings. Normally let the cattle out early April but will be a good bit later this year as the land is still wet and hasn't dried enough with all the bad weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Conversations 3

Let some out this morning to take the pressure off the slurry tank for a day or two.

Have to see how this storm goes over the weekend. 🫣

Tomorrow and early Saturday the worst of it. Monday tricky as well but a high pressure starting to push up from the South Wednesday. If that comes up it might clear.

Slava Ukrainii

Last week, I nearly cried when a fella said in a WhatsApp group that the weather wouldn't settle until the new moon on 8-April.

Now, I'd be delighted if that's the case!

My biggest fear is it will not settle with the new moon. Its dose not bear thinking about

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭White Clover

That is the danger and there is no guarantee that it will clear. People should start putting plans in place to deal with worst case scenario. The plan hopefully may never be implemented but it will give clarity on the next steps required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭endainoz

Looks to be settling towards the middle of the month. Wait and see, there will probably be drought talk in this thread in about six or eight weeks 😂.

Ground seems decent at the moment, growth probably behind due to the recent cold spell but will always catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭endainoz

Just to add to the weather issues 🙈

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

Gave up this evening and all back in bar the calved cows as they have a dry ly and shelter. Bucketing down in limerick last few hours on top of last evenings rain. Ah well could always be worse.

I’m posting the same message and link here as I just did in the dairy chit-chat since it might be relevant for people here too.

There’s a few links, phone numbers, and ideas here on boards if you’re not feeling the best:  https://www.boards.ie/categories/safety-and-off-season

Mind yourselves. And keep talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭memorystick

Place in scutter. Middling ground showing its true worth this year. Middle of April and the only ploughing done is by cattle!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

• Advertisement

Ground curing fast though. Have 80% of the cattle out over two weeks now. Rest going out today and tomorrow.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement