Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Wifi Signal to Garden Room

Options
  • 01-04-2024 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

Hi all

We're converting our old brick shed to a garden room and office. It's about 5 metres from the house but when standing in the shed or garden I get no signal. With Virgin 500mb via the newer black modem which is located at the front of the house.

I temporarily moved the modem to right up beside the back window and still could only see low signal in the garden. My phone still couldn't find it at all from the shed. Insulation etc will only make that worse no doubt.

Wondering -

1 Is there a better solution out there like a router or mesh or extender option which will push signal stronger than the standard Virgin box if I had it positioned right by the window? It needs to go through an insulated external wall/thick slider doors and the into the room which itself would be insulated etc.

2 if not would plugging in a powerline adapter at both ends with another router in the garden room give me a decent speed?

3 I know the optimal solution is to just run some Cat6 to the shed but it would prove to be tricky as it would require a lot more disturbance to the garden and I'd ideally like to avoid that.

Virgin have offered me 3 x extender pods but since the router itself can't seem to push signal strong enough I doubt their extender is going to do much.

Thanks in advance. Appreciate any input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭blackbox

Powerline adapters might do the job. They can be hit and miss. I have one serving a garage and it mostly works but seems to need rebooting regularly.

Ideally borrow one to see if it will work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

on your point three above, could you run the cable at a height? Diagonally down to the shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

No that doesn't seem to be an option. I've ordered a powerline adapter so will see how that goes.

Advertisement