Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forest roads

Options
  • 29-03-2024 2:18pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think the grants are back for forest roads again. But part of the grant deal is that the public will have access to the forest road. Not many private forest owners seem to be aware of this. I’m just wondering if it’s worthwhile applying for the grants if anyone can walk in afterwards?
    The possible downside of this are fly tipping or even worse, fire.

Any thoughts?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Public access to the forest has been a condition of the road grant for at least 5/6 years. I remember reading that when I put in my forest road in 2018/19 (or around then).

My forest is quite small, so I'm not too concerned but I can certainly understand why others would be worried about it. I guess public attention will depend on the length of the road and how scenic the forest and surrounding area is.

I think you are correct in saying not too many private forest owners know this, but this in turn means it is likely the general public don't know about it either.

Post edited by TheBody on

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AfricaTwin

Have plenty of bother with mine, boyracers, people urinating, rubbish, campers etc.. Have a small forest so wouldn't do it again. Big issues with council for PP. Wanted road resurface contribution etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Presumably related to the Coillte open forest policy. But how does insurance work in private plantations with grant funded roads? The Occupiers Liability act etc gives good protection against 'recreational users' making random claims, up to them to mind themselves, so long as nothing reckless done to endanger. But something like accidental fire, would that be covered by the state?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

The forest road is only allowed to be used for recreational use, so walking only. Once someone steps off the forest road they are trespassing.

The policy comes from EU money being used to fund the forest roads and as part of it, the EU funded forest roads are allowed to be used for walking etc.

This doesn't mean that peoplecan just open gates and walk in. If the correct gates and fences are erectedand people can't get in then that solves the problem.

they are allowed to use the road for recreational use, doesn't mean you have to make it easy for them to get it.

And to be honest, with so much hassle from county councils and forest service etc. If you can get away with building a fit for purpose road yourself out of your own pocket just do it, far easier option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Fire,would be the biggest worry..With so many open collilte, forests there should be no need to open private forests Only heard about this recently, surprising IFA, didn't make it public.Shocking that. this is a condition of grant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

There's a new road after being built into a coilte forest about 10 miles from here. They have no gates yet. I went in for a look around and at the end of the road there were drag marks and bits of hair on the ground. It looks like someone dumped a dead horse or donkey there. Joe public shouldn't be let anywhere near private land, it's the few who spoil it for everyone.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement