Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If renting out a granny flat requires no structural changes, is permission required?

Options
  • 29-03-2024 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hello. I am looking at a house I'm considering purchasing. A corner of the house (currently consists of half a garage, a bedroom, a walk-in closet and a shower/toilet) could be utilised as a granny flat.

The only works required to do so would be to have an internal door between the garage and the walk-in wardrobe, and converting the walk-in wardrobe to a small kitchenette/dining area.

From what I've read, these works in and of themselves would not require planning permission. However if the intended usage was in effect a granny flat, is permission required?

The bedroom would still be connected to the rest of the house, however occupants may prefer to keep this door locked.

Is granny-flat permission based on type of usage, rather than actual structural changes? Thanks

Comments

Advertisement