Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving on Virgin's Hub 2 wifi speeds . . .

Options
  • 28-03-2024 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hey there.

I've got a 1GB fibre connection to my home, and with an ethernet cable connected to my mac, it delivers 920Mbps or sp - super fast and it's great for work. 

But the fall off around the house on wifi is just stupid - like 20 feet away through two thin plaster walls, it's 40mbs or so. I live in a badly constructed modern house with thin walls - not some kind of castle with sold stone walls etc. 

I could install a mesh system but I also wonder if the problem isn't just that the device that Virgin provides, the Hub 2, made by Arris, isn't just really bad at broadcasting wifi?

Searching online, it seems Virgin in the UK offers a Hub 3, 4 and 5 but here there doesn't seem to be an option to upgrade the device. So has anyone come across this issue and replaced their Hub 2 with a better device? If so, what did you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Virgin told me to thow away my hub2 and sent me the 5. Night and day difference but will still upgrade my mesh to wifi 6 to avail of the higher speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

A cheap mesh fixed all my WiFi issues.

No matter how good a single WiFi point is. A mesh with 2 or 3 nodes is going to have better coverage.

Advertisement