Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on planning permission / retention / timeframe etc

Options
  • 28-03-2024 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

We made an offer an a house that has a planning application in for a new septic tank / treatment unit (to be completed by the seller)

The current status of the application is retention and decision due date is April 18th.

Does this mean that if the local co. council approves the application that the work can then proceed from that point? (from late April etc?)

I'm not at all familiar with the planning process so just trying to gauge the timeline that could be involved as am used to hearing

from people I know about planning delays and objections and the like.

The lender will need to carry out their valuation before they approve the loan, so we have to wait for the planning approval, the construction

of the new treatment unit (and subsequent testing I assume) then the paperwork between all parties and the valuation before we get

to finally get the keys in our hands, trying to prepare ourselves mentally for a long wait if any complications.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,822 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im confused. You say the application is for retention but then state that the work can proceed when a decision is made. Can you clarify this as it doesn't make much sense unless it's for retention and completion. You only indicated the retention aspect when stating the planning status.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭who what when

As things stand the council have until the 18th April to either grant or refuse permission or request further information.

If a notification of decision to grant is made on the 18th a further period of 4 weeks must pass before the final grant is issued. Once you get the final grant you are good to go.

But as above if its an application for retention then there's no work to proceed with.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Redkite200

Hi. I didn't state " that the work can proceed when a decision is made". I asked if that might be the case once permission is approved. That was / is my query.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,822 ✭✭✭✭muffler

And you still havent clarified. Trying to be pedantic isnt going to help you much with your query.

Im out.

Haven't clarified what? Christ I'd swear half the people on here only engage to get some little passive aggressive kick out of it. 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You will have to wait for the decision and then for the passing of the appeals period of 28 days.

AFter that planning is granted and work can proceed.

If the application only involves the tank, there wouldn't be a requirement for commencement notice.

There must be another aspect to the application if its a retention application. It is likely retention of some existing alterations to the property and then permission to upgrade sewage system.

I had a similar case recently and both parties wanted to get the sale done ASAP. It was middle of winter and no way suitable to attack the tank installation as it was in garden.

Compliance cert was done noting tank install outstanding to achieve compliance, agreed price dropped by cost of the outstanding works and sale went through.

You.will need to wait for final grant of permission around the 23rd of May assuming decision to grant arrives by 18th April. If further information is requested, that would have to be submitted and a further month wait after being submitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He is saying you haven't clarified what works you are referring to that can proceed.

The new septic tank / treatment unit is already built - as the application is for retention.

Advertisement