Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At what temperature and for how long is lasagna in the oven?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cheekypup

Assemble Lasagna

• Pre heat oven to 375°F
    • Bring a thin layer of bolognese sauce to the bottom of a deep 9" x 13" dish.
    • Start layering with three sheets of rectangular lasagna sheets (see Note 1), then add 1/3 of the bolognese sauce, and then 1/3 of the béchamel sauce.
    • Repeat Steo 2 two more times. There should be a total of three sets of lasagna sheets/bolognese sauce/béchamel sauce layers.
    • The top layer should be béchamel sauce. Sprinkle it with mozzarella cheese to top it off.
    • Bring casserole dish to oven and place a cookie sheet under the casserole dish to catch any potential drippings. Bake for 45 minutes, then (optional) broil for 2 minutes to brown the top.
    • Remove dish from oven and let it sit for 20 minutes before cutting into lasagna.
    • Garnish with parsley and serve! Enjoy!

copied from the link provided by the dumbass

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

Also, other lasagne recipes are available. I mean, there’s literally thousands out there. I find BBC and BBC Good Food are always reliable sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The irony here is as delicious as many of the meals posted here in the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

5-8 garlic cloves. For a lasagna? What do we think?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'm surprised you're still following "dumbass's" recipe.

• Advertisement

well I didn’t when it came to that much garlic or putting cheese on the lasagna at the start of the time in the oven. 45 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That is such a badly written blog post.

Apart from multiple typos and missing words, there is this beaut!

"There are typically two types of pasta:

• Pre-boiled lasagna noodles – unless specify, most lasagna noodles will need to be boiled briefly before layering into the casserole. Be careful not to over-boil the lasagna noodles!
    • Oven-ready lasagna noodles – these noodles are still hard but can be layered into the casserole without pre-boiling or even soaking them. I love using these because they are so much easier! It is what I used in this Lasagna with Béchamel Sauce recipe. Make sure these noodles are well covered in sauce when layering them if not it will not be fully cooked in the oven"

They're calling regular, dried lasagne sheets, "pre boiled lasagne noodles"!

And they are also forgetting that you can get fresh lasagne sheets, too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

It's not the, "noodles" terminology I'm referring to. It's the fact that she calls plain dried pasta, "pre boiled", when they have not been preboiled - you need to pre boil them.

And the fact that she's forgotten all about fresh pasta when declaring that there are, "typically 2 types of pasta".

It's really poor writing and proof reading.

do people use bechamal sauce on the meat sauce in a lasagna if using bechamal sauce?

Or do they spread it on the pasta sheets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

Spoon or pour it from a jug on top of the red sauce, not as a layer more sparingly. I also add thinly sliced mozzarella or grated here and there.

Christ buttering the pasta in bechamel would be sh1t show.

why would it be a **** show? I did it this way as there’s little option because the bechamal sauce I bought is too think (like very thick custard) to layer it on the beef sauce. It wasnt a shitshow. Maybe it’s sacrilege but my other option is to throw it in the bin or somehow water down prepared bechamal sauce

I think there are as many "correct" ways to build a lasagne as there are people who make lasagne.

Personally, I'd only put cheese on top, never in the sauce or in the layers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If you fancy going down the homemade lasagne route, I cannot recommend Neven Maguire's recipe highly enough!

And it sounds like you're doing most of the making yourself, so you should really go the extra mile and make the bechamel - it's not at all difficult (even I can do it) and it's a whole world better than those tasteless jars of gloop.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭boardlady

If you look up slow cooker lasagne recipes, you will see that there is a world of options for making 'lasagne' easier, quicker and with less calories if that's your thing. There should be no hard or fast rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

Bechamel or white sauce is just butter flower and milk boiled together so if you want to thin it out, heat it in a pot, add milk and stir. Buttering par boiled pasta sheets in white sauce is a labour of love. Even take a tbsp of the sauce out and fill the jar with milk and shake the jar.

If you cook the lasagna any more than an hour it will be very dry. Par boiling the sheets for 1-2 minutes makes a huge difference.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

First layer: Very thin amount of meat sauce, mostly sauce, less meat. This is purely to stop sticking

Layer of pasta

Then a layer of béchamel on top of the pasta.

Then a layer of meat sauce.

Repeat until out of sauces. Make sure the top layer of pasta is completely submerged in meat sauce, this is important to make sure it goes soft before cooking. I usually take a ladle or two of just sauce (no meat) at the start so I have some to pour over the top at the end, just to make sure everything is covered. You need to leave it like 30 mins before putting it in the oven to let the pasta sheets soften in the sauces.

Grated parmesan and mozzarella on the top layer only. Fresh mozarella, the kind that is a white ball that comes in a bag of liquid, not the yellow dry grated stuff you get in a bag.

Cook mostly covered in tinfoil to stop the top layer going rock hard, then give it a blast at the end with the tin foil off to get a little bit of a top with the cheese.

It shouldn't be really cheesy on top like you often see on lasagne's in pubs here, it's like they empty an entire packet of cheddar on top of them sometimes.

The bechemel should be quite thick, it shouldn't be runny at all. Thicker than custard is about right.

When you cut a lasagne it should hold its shape on the plate and retain its sauces, the sauce shouldn't run out over the plate. If the béchamel is runny it'll just be a plate of slop when you serve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Floppy lasagna ftw! I can't abide lasagna that stands up on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

180 45 mins (pretty much everything is 180 if in doubt) unless it meringue or cake

• Advertisement

No way, firm is always better than floppy.

😅

It's a very fine line between too sloppy and too dry! I'd err on the side of too sloppy, though.

My layers are meat sauce, pasta, cheesy bechamel, repeat till the end when you load on a mix of cheddar, mozzarella and Parmesan. I always use half sausage meat, half minced beef for the meat sauce. I like it very saucy. Not falling apart, but hate a dry lasagne. I do it at 160 fan assisted for 45-60 mins. Gotta say, I love my own lasagna. :D

Served with a nice crisp salad, good coleslaw, garlic bread for dipping and a few chips if two carbs isn't already enough for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Salad and garlic bread for me. I can't stand coleslaw and while I'd ordinarily be a big fan of a double carb, I can't fathom the appeal of chips with pasta.

My husband refers to coleslaw as the devil's vomit.

Post edited by Mystery Egg on

salad, garlic bread and chips is how you do it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Let your baked lasagne stand overnight, THEN slice it, it's the only way. Fresh lasagne just isnt' as good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

My partner is a big fan of the supermarket stuff. I have to make it fresh or I cannot stand it. And there's bugger all mayo on it.

Advertisement